Funny, Fickle, Fate

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Just tossing this out for fun...

Jeanie and I were watching hockey on TV today. Blackhawks. The announcer mentioned in passing, that Jonathan Toews's salary was $13.8 milion,
so we looked up salary caps, for different sports. Hmmm... like $200+ million, for Football and Baseball.

I got this dark stare... "So how come?" ... then we looked up Hockey, and Basketball, and auto racing, and then the Womens' leagues in different sports.

Hmmm... "So what happened to swimming?" she asked. There but for "Funny, Fickle,Fate", my chosen sport was passed by. My Regional and National Championships... doomed to be forgotten in time. The Fame and Fortune that might have been... lost forever.

And so, as I wallow in the depths of despair, I wonder if anyone else here was passed by... by the fickleness of fate? :(

Yep.

Society places a value on something, doesn't matter how useless that job is, and frankly throwing a football is pretty useless, and the entire game system is fixed, as they make the rules so no team. becomes totally dominate. A football thrower usually makes more than nearly any of the fans who pay to see him "work".

I was in Social work, helping people who were mentally retarded adults live in the community. It also saved society money instead of housing them in expensive hospital settings.
Most of these people could hold jobs of a simple kind.

So I got paid, but it was less than most other jobs (and you needed a degree), even a waitress would make more, a zoo worker who throws meat to the lions made more (and they went on strike for higher pay).

After 10 years, I quit as I realized I'd be eating dog food at retirement. Got another degree, and did something society values.

Sun, I was a social worker for awhile and the pay was pitiful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom