Basebell Facts

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
In 1986 Danny Heep became the first player in a World Series to be a designated hitter (DH) with the initials "D.H."

In the four major US professional sports, (Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey), there are only seven teams whose nicknames do not end with an "S:" Basketball: The Miami Heat, The Utah Jazz, The Orlando Magic. Baseball: The Boston Red Sox, The Chicago White Sox. Hockey: The Colorado valanche, The Tampa Bay Lightning. Football: None.

In 1963, baseball pitcher Gaylord Perry remarked, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." On July 20, 1969, a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, Gaylord Perry hit his first, and only, home run.

Babe Ruth wore a cabbage leaf under his cap to keep him cool! He changed it every 2 innings!

In 1910, A baseball with a cork center was used in a World Series game for the first time. The Philadelphia Athletics (managed by Connie Mack) and the Chicago Cubs (managed by P.K. Wrigley) played for the championship.

Mark McGwire's record-setting 70 home runs in the 1998 season traveled a total of 29,598 feet, enough to fly over Mount Everest.

In July 1934 Babe Ruth paid a fan $20 dollars for the return of the baseball he hit for his 700th career home run.

In 1964 for the 10th time in his major-league baseball career, Mickey Mantle hit home runs from both the left and ride sides of the plate in the same game - setting a new baseball record.

Baseball cards have been around since 1886. Modern cards, with high-resolution color photographs on the front and player statistics on the back, date from 1953.
The photos are taken in the spring, with and without team caps, just in case the player is traded to another team.

Will Clark, ex professional baseball player, is a direct descendant of William Clark of Lewis and Clark.

The 1990 New York Yankee pitching staff set an all-time record with the fewest complete games, three.

Rick and Paul Reuschel of the 1975 Chicago Cubs combine to pitch a shutout, the first time brothers do this.

The silhouette on the Major League Baseball logo is Harmon Killebrew.

Eddie Gaedel was the 3'7' midget who played in only one game against the St. Louis Browns and the Detroit Tigers. In the second inning of a double-header, St. Louis manager, Zach Taylor, sent 3'7', 65-pound Eddie Gaedel up to bat. Gaedel stood in a crouch up at the plate, giving pitcher Bob Cain a strike zone of about one and a half inches. Gaedel was walked on four straight pitches.

Before 1859, baseball umpires were seated in padded chairs behind home plate.

In 1910, A baseball with a cork center was used in a World Series game for the first time. The Philadelphia Athletics (managed by Connie Mack) and the Chicago Cubs (managed by P.K. Wrigley) played for the championship.

Reggie Jackson holds the major league record for most strikeouts with 2,597.

The largest baseball card collection, 200,000 cards, is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Baseball is the only sport that looks backwards in a mirror.

Baseball rules were codified in 1846 by Alexander Cartwright of the Knickerbocker Baseball Club.

Baseball's home plate is 17 inches wide.

Baseball's National League was born in 1876. Eight competing baseball teams met in New York City's Grand Central Hotel. The first president of the new league was Morgan Gardner Bulkeley, who later became a US Senator. The eight original cities with teams were: Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, New York, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Louisville and Hartford. Two of the original teams are now in the American League (Boston and New York) while Louisville and Hartford are now minor-league baseball towns.

Babe Ruth hit his first major-league home run on May 6, 1915. He was playing for the Boston Red Sox at the time. 'The Sultan of Swat' went on to smash 714 round-trippers before he retired, as a New York Yankee, in 1935.
Babe Ruth was able to throw two baseballs in such a way that the balls remained parallel to each other all the way from his hand to the catcher's glove. Ruth was famous for this stunt and would demonstrate it on request.

Mike Greenwell of the Boston Red Sox holds the major league record for the most RBIs that accounted for all of his team's runs. In 1996, he batted in nine runs in a game against the Seattle Mariners.

Ding Dong Basebell Facts time is back.........

I heard a wonderful factoid several years ago. No idea if it still holds true or not. It may be outdated; I'm sure someone will know.

In major league history there have been only two players to have hit a home run both before their 20th birthday and after their 40th birthday (Ty Cobb and Rusty Staub).

Awaiting input.

In the four major US professional sports, (Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey), there are only seven teams whose nicknames do not end with an "S:" Basketball: The Miami Heat, The Utah Jazz, The Orlando Magic. Baseball: The Boston Red Sox, The Chicago White Sox. Hockey: The Colorado valanche, The Tampa Bay Lightning. Football: None.
Along with the already mentioned Wild, the Oklahoma City Thunder is a pretty new addition to this list.
In 1963, baseball pitcher Gaylord Perry remarked, "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." On July 20, 1969, a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon, Gaylord Perry hit his first, and only, home run.
Very doubtful.
snopes.com: Gaylord Perry's First Home Run

Seems surprising that they would use a new type of ball for the world series, but that seems to be true. However, PK Wrigley was just 16 years old at the time and his father did not buy the Cubs until 1916. The Cubs manager was Frank Chance, also their first baseman.

This one is from Mr B....

Before the Houston ball team was called the Astros, they were called the Colt .45s.

My question...are there a lot of guns in Texas ?

;)

Last edited:
This one is from Mr B....

Before the Houston ball team was called the Astros, they were called the Colt .45s.

My question...are there a lot of guns in Texas ?

;)

You're way off base...

Attachments

• 2b72280ad2c6dccc34bd781e13514b12.jpg
    2b72280ad2c6dccc34bd781e13514b12.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 2
Without looking it up, can anyone remember the name of Houston's minor league team before the Colt 45's/Astros? I can remember going to their games at the old stadium. Anyone from the Houston area remember where their minor league stadium was located?

Back
Top Bottom