GE Electric Glass Cooktop - Element Replacement

Vincenzo Corleone

Full time employment: Posting here.
Does anyone have any experience replacing a heating element/burner on an electric glass cooktop? I have a GE electric glass cooktop (model PP950SM1SS) and received an estimate from GE. I can't believe the amount of money it'll cost to have a GE technician replace it so I'm playing with the idea of replacing it myself. I can get the same exact heating element for about $100 less than the one GE wants to send me. I've never attempted this before and I'm a bit hesitant. I found some YouTube videos that walk you through this, but not for my model - not sure if it matters or if they're all pretty much the same.

Any tips, hints, advice?

It may not meet your needs but if I were in your situation I would look into replacing the entire cooktop with an induction unit.

Unfortunately, I have no experience replacing heating elements.

Looks easy

I replaced one burner in my Maytag stove a few years ago.

I no longer remember the details, but watching the above video jogged my memory. Yes, it was easy, kind of like that.

There was a warehouse selling appliance replacement parts only a few miles from my home. I went there to buy the part, and installed it. Easy peasy.

I have a similar unit and I will be replacing the whole unit in a couple of weeks.

We had two burners go. One of them is the stupid "burner with a smaller burner in it" in the front. Pricing the two replacements out we found an unused complete unit on Kijiji for just $100 more than the two burner elements would have cost brand new. No brainer.

I'm getting a friend to help me install as I'm a little leery of 220V stuff.

I’ve done it at least 3 times on my 20+ year old range. I probably spend more time pulling it out (it’s a slide-in) and removing the screws than replacing the heating element. Pretty sure the last replacement was a used element from eBay at about 1/3 the cost of new.

Just be sure to turn the breaker off before starting. It’s really not rocket surgery.

It did not take me long to look up Quicken for the cost of the replacement burner I bought for the Maytag stove.

I paid $112.77 including tax in 2013. Wow, I did not remember it being so expensive.

Just now, see used elements on eBay for less than $30, including shipping. Of course, it takes some work to be sure to get one that will fit.

Last edited:
I paid less than $29 shipped on the used element I got from ebay about 4 years ago. Cross-referencing isn't hard. Many units use the same burner, even across different brands. The one I got looked like it had barely been used. Less than 45 minutes to install, start to finish, including finding the right breaker in the box and pulling out the range from the counter.

We had a high line Kitchenaid glass 30" cooktop, and some eyes had two or even three stages. They didn't all light up when turned on. Our home warranty we bought with the house paid almost $600 for a new GE Profile cooktop.

I installed it in about 5 minutes--just requires hooking up the hard wires and setting it in the hole in the granite.

That pregnant lady did a fine job, and it looks very easy.

As long as the breaker is turned off, and you test the stove doesn't work to ensure got the correct breaker, it's not dangerous at all.

I always thought those things were complex , when seeing the glow under the glass, now I know they just use the cheap thin wire to heat up fast. like old days electric stove elements.

Back
Top Bottom