Geeks Anonymous

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Hello, my name is Khan and I have 3 computers, 2 operating systems, 6 USB gadgets, 4 browsers, and 5 emails.

However, I do not have chickens.

Last edited:
I listened to a public radio program today about geeks and nerds. I learned that there is even geekster rap. I learned that dorks aspire to being nerds because nerds have skills.

My name is Martha. I am a nerd. Before I even hit puberty I had read everything that Asimov and Heinlein had written. I can identify nearly every plant in Pattison state park on sight and have identified every bird that I have seen here in the past week. I correct Wikipedia articles for fun.

However, I have only three emails and am not a computer geek. I am a different species.

Hello, my name is Khan and I have 3 computers, 2 operating systems, 6 USB gadgets, 4 browsers, and 5 emails.

However, I do not have chickens.

And 2 printer/copier/scanner/fax machines (though 1 should be gone next week).

We're down to two desktops and one laptop.. however, one of the desktop has 3 operating systems running as I type this message. My keyboard tells me that ram utilization is at 48% and holding steady.

I obtained a ham radio license so I could put a TV camera in a radio control model airplane. Like Martha I had read Heinlein, Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke by Jr. High School. Tom Swift by third grade (OK, they were my Dad's books). I'm down to one desktop and one laptop. Was once a member of a group called "Geeks With Guns". Police officers were afraid of us and thought we were strange. Only five email address though.

Like Martha I had read Heinlein, Asimov, and Arthur C. Clarke by Jr. High School. Tom Swift by third grade (OK, they were my Dad's books). I'm down to one desktop and one laptop.
Ouch, me too. And after spending all my 1960s allowance/chores money on the "new" Tom Swift editions, I also graduated to Jack Chalker, Harry Harrison, and Alan Dean Foster. I'm still trying to cut back...

Spouse has "volunteered" to relieve me of my second laptop. It was a repair project, and now that it's working again I'm not using it anyway.

My name is Cuppa and I am a geek-in-training. Instead of reading ScFi, I watch pre-code movies.

My wife and I are definite geeks. We are both chemists which automatically grants us access to the geek club. We have 4 computers (2 desktops and 2 laptops) running 2 operating systems and 2 browsers. We have 2 printer/scanner/fax combos plus 2 more scanners (one for photo negatives / slides and one for fast document scanning). We have 4 ipods. My wife's office is decorated with Star Wars memorabilia. Her desk clock is a LED binary clock. What else can I say... Ah yes, I am sitting in Spain right now using my laptop to post on my favorite board... Geeks I tell you...

Science and Technology in general has always held my interest and still does.

I am out of the nerd stage with computers and related technologies. I find the devices useful... but it ends there... I do not spend much additional time (or money) chasing the latest gadgets.

Most Sci-Fi has lost its entertainment value also. I still watch a sci-fi movie every once in a while, but it has to be something exceptionally well done. There is a lot of cr@p out there... the typical sci-fi stuff no longer appeals to me (cheesy alien monsters, spaceship drama, and shoot 'em up).

I am a geek as well. 1 desktop, 2 laptops, scanner, 2 wireless networks, 5 GPS, wireless slimserver music system, 2 ipods. Currently reading "Hacking Google Maps and Google Earth" for help in implementing digital mapping applications.

Yeah, but... how well did you score on the Nerd Test?

NerdTests.com Fun Tests - Computer Geek / Nerd Quiz

Maybe you just have too much disposable cash... and time.

0% scored higher (more computer geeky),
0% scored the same, and
100% scored lower (less geeky).​

edit: and there test seems more geared at younger geeks... no questions about fortran or cobol. I think they're wrong about the Magnavox / Baer question too. Baer patented the game and licensed it to Magnavox.

Overall, you scored as follows:

0% scored the same, and
100% scored lower (less geeky).

Compared to those in the same age group as you:

0% scored the same, and

What does this mean? Your computer geekiness is:

Step aside Bill Gates, Linus Torvalds, and Steve Jobs... You are by far the SUPREME COMPUTER GOD!!!

Also, they are fairly lite in their questions on things like clock doubling, water cooled cpu systems. Their bias towards PC/mid-range systems, and little to nothing on big iron, or early technologies like tape and punch card readers/programming is quite obvious.
Is that geeky enough?

14% scored higher (more computer geeky),
1% scored the same, and
85% scored lower (less geeky).​
weird_bar.php
19% scored higher (more computer geeky),
1% scored the same, and
80% scored lower (less geeky).​
What does this mean? Your computer geekiness is:

High-Level Computer Geek. All of those below you are envious of you! (...Well perhaps not the cool people)​

I also have programmed in COBOL and FORTRAN and BASIC and C; using line edit, punch cards, paper tape, 7-track tapes, and 8, 5, and 3 disks.

Last edited:
Female, 2 computers, one of which is dual boot, 5 video game consoles (including all the latest ones), grew up reading Andre Norton and other twisted sci fi books and still happily watch bad scifi to make fun of the bad graphics.

I am pretty sure this just qualifies me as weird.

Does loading punched tape programs into a DEC PDP8 with 2K of memory, and watching the light bulbs blink while processing data, retreiving output from a Freiden punch, then having the teletype print out orbital and location data count?

Or is that before Geekdom was invented? Circa 1972 OK, fossilized geek.

Added: Yeah I built part of the processor, 2000 discrete transistor flip-flops, did the board layout, stuff and testing too.

Last edited:
Overall, you scored as follows:
weird_bar.php

0% scored the same, and
100% scored lower (less geeky).​
weird_bar.php

0% scored the same, and
What does this mean? Your computer geekiness is:​

Step aside Bill Gates, Linus Torvalds, and Steve Jobs... You are by far the SUPREME COMPUTER GOD!!!​

Little ol' me? Oh my, how far we have fallen...

All right, score of 73.

So who were Karnegie and Ritchie? Extra point: What is their claim to fame?

Last edited:
All right, score of 73.

So who were Karnegie and Ritchie? Extra point: What is their claim to fame?

Karnegie and Richie wrote book titled ANSI C.

<snicker> I looked it up with Google.

(I believe Karnegie built a library and Richie tied a yellow ribbon.)

Karnegie and Richie wrote book titled ANSI C.

<snicker> I looked it up with Google.

(I believe Karnegie built a library and Richie tied a yellow ribbon.)
Kernighan.
I got a copy of it (literally. was too cheap in college to buy the book, so made a copy of it. shhh...)

And the winner is BigBob.

Thanks BigBob. I pulled names out of fossilized memory. I used to have the book, Gave it to a budding C programmer many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom