Getting Music Wirelessly through Wi-Fi

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Backstory: I run Macs. I used to have Mac Airport Router with Airport Express units attached to my stereo. It never worked perfectly. I replaced my aging Apple router with a Linksys unit, which has better range. I have some questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1. What can I buy to replace the Airport Express to communicate with my Mac, to get the music to my stereo receiver. Wirelessly from the Mac, but not wirelessly from the unit to the stereo.

2. Now that I don't have an Apple router, does the Airport Utility resident in the Mac software no longer pick up non Apple routers?

Apple TV with any router will do what you want. I happen to run it with a time capsule, but Apple TV has made all that other stuff generally obsolete.

+1 on AppleTV. I run it through an Apple Airport Extreme. I'm not sure, but you should be able to run AppleTV with a Linksys router.

+1 on AppleTV. I run it through an Apple Airport Extreme. I'm not sure, but you should be able to run AppleTV with a Linksys router.

I ran it on a D Link for a few years. It doesn't matter as long as Apple TV is connected to the same network as your music server (iTunes source computer).

Turns out my old Airport Express does connect just fine to my new Linksys. Even better than it did to my old aging Apple. So far, all is good.

Thanks for the input.

BTW, my Apple TV is connected to a TV, but the stereo components are in another room, so I can't wire the Apple TV to the stereo components and to the TV. So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to wirelessly connect the Apple TV to the stereo components.

I am a little cloudy on how the stereo receiver connects to wireless signal.
For example, I have a very old receiver component/speakers, with no capability for LAN or wireless.
There have been wireless and ethernet and bluetooth tech adapters that I've seen for the purpose, but never went this route.

"So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to wirelessly connect the Apple TV to the stereo components."

Go to Amazon and search for "Bluetooth Receiver". I use one for connecting my Echo to some speakers. Cost is under $20. I used to use a bluetooth receiver to connect an Ipod to a receiver.

In your case, I looked at the specs on Apple TV and it does Bluetooth.

"So far, I haven't been able to figure out how to wirelessly connect the Apple TV to the stereo components."

Go to Amazon and search for "Bluetooth Receiver". I use one for connecting my Echo to some speakers. Cost is under $20. I used to use a bluetooth receiver to connect an Ipod to a receiver.

In your case, I looked at the specs on Apple TV and it does Bluetooth.

I don't really do Apple, but this should work. I have a BT receiver that is connected to my surround sound system and I can use any BT device to connect to it. Currently, I am listening to some fabulous jazz through the Stingray application loaded on my Galaxy Tab with this very setup.

Edit: This is what I use. I actually have two of them, one is downstairs in our office/gym that I use to stream music from my mobile devices while I exercise..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I59VBH4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom