Given Notice, How to Negotiate

Congrats on reaching a written and signed agreement acceptable to all, and most importantly, to you.

It sounds like you got some money out of this but not as much as you thought you would be getting when you submitted your retirement.

To be very frank, I would have played even more hardball than you did.
$X or I leave.
You came off weak and easily manipulated.

There are very few times we as employees have the upperhand.
This was one of them.
Lighten up.The OP acted differently than you but that doesn’t give you the right to pass such harsh judgement.

Personally I think this is a very good outcome and wish the OP the best of luck.

For those late to this thread...

The OP is clearly trying to arrange / manage his exit while minimizing the impact on the employer, who may be taking advantage of this. It doesn’t help to call him names. Perhaps show a little empathy and stick to friendly, positive suggestions.

OP,

Pay no attention to people who are passing nasty judgement on you. They don't know you.

You did what worked for you, what aligned with your values, and what you needed to do for own self respect. You are satisfied with your decision and you will soon be happily retired. That's all that matters!

+1000

When I worked at MegaMotors, we had a guy who never officially quit but just quit coming in to work and didn't answer any phone calls. His checks just kept on coming until someone finally turned off the tap. My hero. :LOL:

I worked at another large corporation (before working at the same MegaMotors as travelover). We had a British guy who'd been working there for a while. He took a long vacation back to England .....and.....basically, never returned! I remember the bosses reaching out to him, asking when to expect him back...and he'd give them some BS story to extend his time away. This went on for months before they finally figured he was never coming back. I'd guess he milked them for 5-6 months.:LOL:

Oh, and we also had a guy with 2 families, one in town and another one out in Oklahoma where we had a production facility to which he often traveled.

omni

Last edited:
The revelation that you're in your early 40s clarifies the situation quite a bit. I also would be reluctant to burn bridges at that age.

I guess this is my final update on this post.

I've been happily retired for about a week and half, definitely enjoying it!

I wrapped up my transition said farewell to my coworkers on Friday, April 30. Got ACA coverage started May 1 and everything went smoothly, so far.

One surprise was with the final payout. The HR manager forgot to put it in for processing on April 30, so I'm still waiting for my retention bonus and vacation day payouts. They confirmed they'd put it through for May 14 payroll deposit.

I'll still provide limited consulting hours (up to 3.5 per month) for a fixed retainer fee for the next few months, but so far it has been quiet, so I'm hoping my retirement days would include very minimum involvement with the company again.

Thanks again for all the great advises and I'm really glad I've found this community.

Back
Top Bottom