Glioblastoma (GBM)

skyking1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My youngest sister was having some nausea and memory issues and my brother was alarmed by her communication on Saturday, so they got her in for an MRI. She has a glioma that they are going after tomorrow.
Her prognosis is not good, @72.

My youngest sister was having some nausea and memory issues and my brother was alarmed by her communication on Saturday, so they got her in for an MRI. She has a glioma that they are going after tomorrow.

Her prognosis is not good, @72.

So sorry to hear this. That is such a nasty disease. Prayers for your sister!

Sorry to read this. I knew of 2 people (ex-colleague and former client) who had non-operable glioblastoma and they passed away, one in under 6 months and the other after a couple of years.

I'm sorry to hear that. Nasty disease that kills almost everyone. I worked with a guy who has survived over a decade after his diagnosis and surgery. He has no idea, nor do his doctors, on why he's alive.

Sorry to see this for your sister's diagnosis. I have known one person that had this as well life is sad sometimes but good to have support around.

Our nephew was diagnosed with glioblastoma brain tumor at 38, had surgery to remove the cancer. Several rounds of continuing chemo now with regular MRI checks. It is a tragic diagnosis, and not so good long term. But he's younger and good health otherwise. So just taking each day as a gift. He's working, and doing well except the chemo killing his white blood cell count. So has to be careful of getting sick.
OP, hope your sisters surgery goes well.

Saddened to hear this Skyking. Praying for a good outcome for your sister and comfort for you and you family.

skyking1--praying for a good outcome from surgery for your sister.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

I'm sorry to hear this; my Grandfather passed from a glioblastoma in the mid 1980's. They performed surgery and gave him some time. Terrible disease.

Apparently age has a lot to do with how well you do. For older people it's really not good. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Last edited:
Apparently age has a lot to do with how well you do. For older people it's really not good. Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

Sorry to hear...it's a tough disease. My BIL's 40 year old son was diagnosed with one about 4 years ago. They removed it (lucky) and he is still working and doing OK. Of course, he is pretty young.

She just called to give me the pre-surgery breakdown. She sounded great, and was both upbeat and pragmatic about it all. They will knock her out to expose the skull and brain, then wake her up to do both cognitive and motor tests while they operate so as to not diminish her quality of life. This surgery is to both buy some time and to improve that time. They cannot take all of the tumor out without taking her entire speech away.
Her post surgery outcome could be another year, maybe more. It is all subjective and they will have a better idea after they are done.

Best wishes for a good recovery.
Glioblastoma is a nasty one, had a friend who survived 5 years after two surgeries and chemo.

The surgery went well they got done about 11:00 last night. They were able to identify her speech center and remove 95% of the tumor. Cautious prognosis is 12 to 16 months now.

Sorry to hear that. My FIL and BIL both had it and my best wishes to her and your family.

So sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis. Prayers for your family.

Glad your sister's surgery went well.
GBM has victimized my family in the past as well. My thoughts and prayers are with your sister and your family.

Lost our neighbor to this disease and the prognosis they gave her was quite accurate. She suffered through radiation and chemo to extend her life. I would be certain your sister completely understands the benefits and side effects if such treatment is an option for her. God bless you and your sister.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Koolau. She knows, and Washington has a death with dignity law in place. I think she is one who would use that when it is appropriate.

I am glad to hear that the surgery went well. Hopefully, this will give her a decent amount of time.

Good that the surgery went well and she is recovering.
Prayers to all of your family. Spend each precious moment enjoying what life has to offer.

The surgery went well they got done about 11:00 last night. They were able to identify her speech center and remove 95% of the tumor. Cautious prognosis is 12 to 16 months now.
I assume the doctors will let her heal up, and then look at other treatments for the remaining 5% of the tumor they couldn't remove? Can they use a targeted radiation beam to spare her speech center?

Back
Top Bottom