Going Back to Work Jitters

All Is Lost

Dryer sheet wannabe
Due to the current economic situation, I have found it necessary to go back to work. I am an older retired guy and have been out of the healthcare workforce for over 6 years. Since that time things have changed a lot. I am not as fast as I use to be nor am I as agile.

My new job starts next week and I am real nervous about it. Anyone have any tips on overcoming a bad case of the nerves?

I worked in healthcare management for many years. We loved older experienced staff over the newly trained young inexperienced. It may depend on the setting? A hospital is not the same as a private practice physician's office. I wish you all the best! Your expertise will be valuable.

My primary care physician is in his mid-80's and he's pretty good. Granted, he has accumulated a lot of experience during his years and that may help. But also, due to the wisdom that comes with age, I think he has unusually good judgment when making tough decisions.

I dread the day he dies and I end up having to switch to some young Doogie Howser type doc who may not know straight up from sideways.

They hired you for a reason. They may see something you don’t. They have confidence in you.

I remember in late 21 you mentioned you were a current state worker. Are you taking a second job.thats a lot when you are past 60. Good luck

I understand it be like the first day going to kindergarten. Uncertainty and all the new things can be very intimidating. I'm very confident after the first or so days you will start settling into your new environment. Your skills that you bring to the table will take over and soon it will be home.

Good Luck!!

My primary care physician is in his mid-80's and he's pretty good. Granted, he has accumulated a lot of experience during his years and that may help. But also, due to the wisdom that comes with age, I think he has unusually good judgment when making tough decisions.

I dread the day he dies and I end up having to switch to some young Doogie Howser type doc who may not know straight up from sideways.

So you know he’ll die and not retire? Has he shared his intent to not retire? I am a bit anxious about my older heath providers going away. I had a primary care doc die at ~55, and 3 others ER’d. It’s unsettling. I had an awkward conversation with periodontist last week. I told him I was retired while my inside voice was saying “but you can’t retire”. Turns out he is going part time (Yeah!).

Due to the current economic situation, I have found it necessary to go back to work. I am an older retired guy and have been out of the healthcare workforce for over 6 years. Since that time things have changed a lot. I am not as fast as I use to be nor am I as agile.

My new job starts next week and I am real nervous about it. Anyone have any tips on overcoming a bad case of the nerves?
Ride it 'til you get where you're going'!

Nothin' new, and you'll see that in a few weeks.

I worked in healthcare management for many years. We loved older experienced staff over the newly trained young inexperienced. It may depend on the setting? A hospital is not the same as a private practice physician's office. I wish you all the best! Your expertise will be valuable.

The setting is a small Urgent Care owned by the Hospital. Thank you very much for the well wishes.

So you know he’ll die and not retire? Has he shared his intent to not retire?
Yes, he has shared that both with me and with his staff. I asked them too, because I was concerned about what to do if suddenly I went to an appointment and the door was locked and everyone gone. They said that they have talked to him too, and they have a contingency plan to notify his patients if he should die, and recommend another doctor or doctors who will take over his practice.

I am a bit anxious about my older heath providers going away. I had a primary care doc die at ~55, and 3 others ER’d. It’s unsettling. I had an awkward conversation with periodontist last week. I told him I was retired while my inside voice was saying “but you can’t retire”. Turns out he is going part time (Yeah!).

Thank goodness, my terrific dentist is about a quarter century younger than me, plus he has four daughters to get through college. He jokes that he'll be doing dentistry for a long time to pay for that. :2funny:

I remember in late 21 you mentioned you were a current state worker. Are you taking a second job.thats a lot when you are past 60. Good luck

I worked in healthcare and then went to the State job. I also continued to work part time in health care but gave it up completely 6 years ago. So it has been awhile since I have done it. I have also since retired from the State job.

Right now the demand for Allied Health workers is off the chart. Things being what they are with the economy, I decide to take a chance on getting back into it.

I understand it be like the first day going to kindergarten. Uncertainty and all the new things can be very intimidating. I'm very confident after the first or so days you will start settling into your new environment. Your skills that you bring to the table will take over and soon it will be home.

Good Luck!!

Thank you very much street!! It seems the older I get the more uncertain I become. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement.

I worked in healthcare and then went to the State job. I also continued to work part time in health care but gave it up completely 6 years ago. So it has been awhile since I have done it. I have also since retired from the State job.

Right now the demand for Allied Health workers is off the chart. Things being what they are with the economy, I decide to take a chance on getting back into it.

Well I'm sure you are second guessing your retirement planning in the short term. There is tremendous demand for HC workers. Is part time work a possibility for you as you ease into things.

you didn't mention your role, but your employer has confidence to bring you back. You don't have to be as quick or agile when you are not making rookie mistakes.
There is a saying about carpentry that probably applies to several kinds of work.
" the only time a carpenter is in a hurry is when he is about to make a mistake, or he is fixing one ".
You got this!

We had a similar situation. When we married, DW had an older doctor that actually delivered one of her now adult sons.
I had a younger that was up on computers. Wher her doctor retired, we got a new younger one that came into the exam room with his laptop. It took some time for DW to transition from Marcus Welby to Doogie Howser, but she did make the transition.

We had a similar situation. When we married, DW had an older doctor that actually delivered one of her now adult sons.
I had a younger that was up on computers. Wher her doctor retired, we got a new younger one that came into the exam room with his laptop. It took some time for DW to transition from Marcus Welby to Doogie Howser, but she did make the transition.

Good! That's encouraging. :)

In addition to what others have said about your invaluable experience, remember that you could probably find a way to cut your expenses and ride out the next 2-3 years (if that) of a down market if you really had to. Remember, they're lucky to have you! For some reason, I find that thinking of work as optional for me makes it much easier to face each day.

Any new job comes with some nervous concerns. Just be confident in your skills that you have. You will do fine once you get there and start working. Remember they need you which is why you were chosen to help satisfy the need.

Drink heavily.

Drink heavily.
Before, during or after work?
The good old days as shown in Madmen show.. LOL. 360963514f722ff9fdf7ffcbfe929403.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom