Good Friend Bored in ER fter only 2 Months!

How about SCORE or other organizations that have executives help small businesses?

No, but a suggestion for you. NOT YOUR PROBLEM!!!

Good point. But I DID make the mistake of asking him how he liked retirement. I think he thought I had some major insight into NOT being bored. I basically told him it was my nature not to be bored. Whether I'm "busy" with something or just doing nothing, it rarely occurs to me to be bored. I think it must be as others have suggested - an introvert thing. I like people, but rarely need them. YMMV

Just an observation here, but maybe, just maybe he is depressed and just "going through the motions" in his new retired lifestyle.

That happened to me early on in retirement and DW sensed I was not "engaged" in actively doing things that were different from when I was working. Actually, I am not sure I am clear of that un-engaged feeling yet. I sometimes have the feeling that I really don't belong retired, even though that is not true.

Full disclosure, I thought of depression. Never got the details, but I think my friend went through some sort of "crisis" several years back which may have been depression. I'm trying to be a good listener. I'm not trained and I certainly can't make someone else happy (except, DW, of course, heh, heh.) My hope is he will establish a new routine and find enough folks to help him through this time. I'm probably the worst person to suggest activities to him as I do not depend upon a huge list of activities to keep me sane. The total freedom of retirement is quite satisfying to me - not boring at all.

How about SCORE or other organizations that have executives help small businesses?

I have been a SCORE counselor for 5 years, and it does make life more fulfilling to assist, mentor & guide those looking for advice and counseling.

I am also an adjunct professor at the business school of a local University, teaching mid career adults one evening a week.

Other faith-based charitable/volunteer activity, together with the above, keep my retired life quite busy and stimulating.

Koolau,
I couldn't help noticing you live on Oahu. I'll assume your bored, retired banker friend lives there also. How many beaches has he visited on Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hawaii? If he went to a different beach week, sometimes with his family and grand kids, I think he'd be happily occupied for the next few years.

Koolau,
I couldn't help noticing you live on Oahu. I'll assume your bored, retired banker friend lives there also. How many beaches has he visited on Oahu, Maui, Kauai and Hawaii? If he went to a different beach week, sometimes with his family and grand kids, I think he'd be happily occupied for the next few years.

Heh, heh. Unfortunately, he lives in the midwest where I have been visiting the past couple of months. I don't think he is a "beach" person anyway. But your point is still valid. There are MANY places to go and lots to see on the mainland - one of the reasons I return each year. BUT my friend doesn't have trouble keeping busy. He just is not enjoying his current "busyness." I am coming to believe he needs more social stimulation (IOW he IS a people person and has lost his easy access to people since retiring.) While I'm an off-the-chart introvert, I believe he is an off-the-chart extrovert. I actually look for him to find some sort of w*rk which will bring him into contact with lots of people.

Back
Top Bottom