Goodbye to summertime :(

ttvjef

Recycles dryer sheets
I’ve had the best summer of my 55 years! My contract ended 6/28 and I have not looked back. I’m probably in the honeymoon phase of ER so it’s still a bit new. I got into a nice flow and have been spending a lot of time outside. I get to ride my bike a lot too these days, I’m a few miles to my gym, shopping and a friends pool:), I feel like a college student riding everywhere I can.
So now this AM the weather is beginning to change and there’s a definite chill in the air. I’m contemplating what I want to do with the winter coming up. I do have a nice trip to Hilton Head coming up in a few weeks so I’m looking forward to that. My partner is still w*rking and probably will be for two more years. So far so good, I hoping that I’ll remain ER’d.

You can still ride until the roads get snowy/icy, just wear proper clothing. I like to walk, hike, or cross-country ski in the winter. I find that getting at least 30 minutes of "outside" time per day helps my mood in the winter.

Thks - - Yup I'm looking for stuff to wear.

How bout them Phills! I'm from Philly live in NJ now. Looks like the only team we can beat is Atlanta :)

You can still ride until the roads get snowy/icy, just wear proper clothing. I like to walk, hike, or cross-country ski in the winter. I find that getting at least 30 minutes of "outside" time per day helps my mood in the winter.

+1 After I ER'd, I realized I look forward to end of summer. Once school starts, the streets and county park are much emptier, making my runs/walks/cycling more enjoyable. And to echo the quoted statement, just don proper clothing and enjoy the outdoors year-round.

Hi - -Sounds good! Didn't think about all the folks returning to school and such. Will probably make for more pleasant outdoor times.
I do have some nice base layer undies I got last year but never wore them. They will get some use this year :)

Hah I'm the opposite. Here in S Fla our "summer" continues at least another 3-4 weeks.

THEN I get to start bike riding to the store and gardening more often, running more than a mile without melting!

I RE'd at the start of June last year and the first few months were actually not as fun as I'd hoped because outdoors is just too uncomfortable for significant periods until later into September/October.

I cannot wait for that first morning chill (i.e., under 80 at 8am!)

Wow under 80 ! Ha :)
Great to hear your perspective as we are planning to relocate South.

Just the opposite for us folks in PHX AZ :)... Could see temps in the 100's until early Oct. After that then it is paradise until June....

Hah I'm the opposite. Here in S Fla our "summer" continues at least another 3-4 weeks.

THEN I get to start bike riding to the store and gardening more often, running more than a mile without melting!

I RE'd at the start of June last year and the first few months were actually not as fun as I'd hoped because outdoors is just too uncomfortable for significant periods until later into September/October.

I cannot wait for that first morning chill (i.e., under 80 at 8am!)

Ain't that the truth. Sick of the hot and humid weather. Got a break yesterday as temps didn't reach 80. Felt great on the golf course. Just a tease tho......September here can be pretty warm.

I hear you. It's been in the 40s in the morning, highs in the 70s. Today's gym day for us, three times weekly we lift weights. They have an indoor salt water pool too, we might check it out as the tourists go home.

Last winter was our first out here, we had over 100 inches of snow! Went snowshoeing for the first time ever, this year I'm adding XCountry skiing. I'm not sure about downhill, we'll see. Ice fishing seems interesting to try too.

Our road is gravel, some of winter it's great to walk, in the spring it's challenging.

We have a nice riverwalk that's a short drive to get to. In spring that gets a lot of use. There's also several hot springs for soaking. Not much better than being outside in 30° on a sunny day soaking in 105°F, then into the 35°F river. There's always some interesting folks to chat with from all over the world.

We definitely get out in the sun, I used to get horrible SAD in the winter. Last year I never used the therapy light, mother nature did it!

Clothing, you know the drill about layers. Bean has always had quality stuff. We found a sale at a local outfitter last spring. Awesome prices on left over outerwear.

Enjoy, I definitely felt like my first year was that perfect summer vacation.

Last edited:
I'm actually looking forward to the change in weather. This summer has been one of the hottest I can remember, and I don't like hot weather. I actually prefer the cooler, rainy weather.

Our summer can last well into Sept. October is cool but nice.

We solved the winter issue by spending two of the coldest winter months travelling to places on our respective bucket lists. And if it does get cold, we shop for a last minute AI to Mexico, Cuba, etc.

Goodbye summer? I am waiting to be able to say "Good riddance".

Low of 83F (28C) this morning. High will be 108F (42C).

I wish! We moved to Florida a month ago and I'm now suffering my first ever bacterial skin infection. Itches like the dickens and is now infected so am on antibiotics.

I play water volleyball every day and learned at the doc that there is an epidemic of skin infections from the pools we're playing in. The water is so warm that the chemicals can't control bacteria growth! Ick!!

I've bought anti-bacterial soap and will be scrubbing as soon as I get out of the pool instead of waiting to get home.

NW PA here....getting chillier every morning....and there are bunches of red leaves on some trees....and the field behind home is golden now instead of green.....

I was going to clean and put away my fountain on my patio today...but decided to leave it out maybe til end of September....I cleaned it and cleaned the pump ( it had stopped putting out water on the top outlet)....Putting it away signifies the end of summer and I'm not ready to give it up!!!

My fault.....about two weeks ago I wanted to top the fountain off and used water from a sprinkling can I keep filled for my plants....MOST times it's just plain clean water....but it had Miracle Grow in it this time and the algae just exploded in growth!!!! Won't do that again!!!!

One time I put a little bleach in the running fountain to kill algae....the water splashing out all over the impatiens around the fountain basically killed the impatiens....live and learn...

Congrats ttvjef on your retirement this summer.....There are only so many springs and summers in our lives...nice to have one more where you DON'T have to w**k!!!

The last 2 days here had no humidity, and I was on the stoop shooting the breeze with a neighbor and came back in and wasnt dripping wet. The honeymoon phase will not go away, you just started, Halloween decorating is around the corner, Thanksgiving is coming, Christmas shopping without the crowds. You won the rat race, enjoy every day even more.

I love Fall weather with its cool and crisp air. That will probably be in about 2 more months. Then we will be mostly past the hurricane season. Today the temp high will be about 90. Looking forward to spending a few days in the mountains in late Oct.

Cheers!

It's been chilly (60's) past couple of days here in the midwest. We're looking forward to heading home to the land of ever-summer in a few days. Brrrrr. YMMV

It's been chilly (60's) past couple of days here in the midwest. We're looking forward to heading home to the land of ever-summer in a few days. Brrrrr. YMMV

60-ies! Yeah, man, that's rough! I feel for you :D

A thread without a photo or some music? This has to be remedied at once.

Summertime
Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby, don't you cry

One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
Yeah, you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But till that morning, there's nothin' can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin' by...

Last edited:
I’m probably in the honeymoon phase of ER so it’s still a bit new.

I'm four years into ER and uncertain that the honeymoon phase will ever end :D

We spent all summer in Europe vacationing with our kids and the weather was mostly great (several days of rain and chilly weather in Koblenz, Germany and very high heat in Portugal and Southern Spain yet extremely dry = overall not too bad and we had AC :) ).

Now we're back in North Carolina and the weather has been great so far. Very atypical for late August, early September. Moderate to low humidity and temps not in the 90's. It's been in the 60's and 70's the past week or so and we haven't used the AC a lot (extremely rare this time of year). Basically nice fall weather a month or two early.

Heading to the beach in NC in a couple weeks and hoping the moderate temps stick with us so we can spend most of the day at the beach and not burn up!

Last edited:
Yup 101 here and climbing.

Summer can jam on down the road, bring on Fall!

All the way up to 84° here. Too hot, I had a bad reaction to the heat(I'm on an antibiotic and two other meds right now) and about passed out. It's still been in the 40s at night.

We have had to use the A.C. once this year, so we know it works. We use the gas fired "wood stove" every morning. 😁

Last edited:
A thread without a photo or some music? This has to be remedied at once.

Summertime
Summertime, and the livin' is easy
Fish are jumpin' and the cotton is high
Oh, your daddy's rich and your ma is good-lookin'
So hush, little baby, don't you cry

One of these mornings you're gonna rise up singing
Yeah, you'll spread your wings and you'll take to the sky
But till that morning, there's nothin' can harm you
With daddy and mammy standin' by...

I always enjoyed Billy Stewart's version of the song (this is the shorter 45 RPM version):

Back
Top Bottom