Got the flu - first time in 40+ years

It took me a day longer than I hoped, but I’m finally out of the hospital!
Able to breathe again without oxygen needed to keep my levels up.
Still weak, but at least I can recover at home! [emoji3]

Great news! In the words of The Eagles "Take It Easy."

Glad to hear that you are home. Rest and recover.

The last time I had the flu was in the early 1980s while I was in college. I was down hard for a week. I do get a flu shot every year. We just finally got COVID and did not even run a fever. We thought we had escaped it :)

I got it in 2020 just as the pandemic was starting. I assume it was the flu because it didn’t seem to have symptoms of COViD like shortness of breath or loss of taste and smell.

After a week I was ok except for a cough that lasted for months and months.

All my years working in health care settings in and out of medical facilities and doctors offices about 20 times per day- not even a cold. Never had a flu shot either.

I never had a flu shot. Last time I had honest-to-God influenza was almost 25 years ago, but holeecrap did it kick my butt. I was barely able to drag myself out of bed, for 2 weeks. Hoping I can avoid that & similar... I no longer have a DW to nurse me. Though my sons are in town so I can send up a distress flare if I really need it.

I'm 66 now, and this year's flu is supposed to be bad, so I got the shot last month.

Sorry, but despite OP's doctor's opinion, we got all our COVID vaccines and don't regret it. They've been shown to help in the degree of severity if you DO catch COVID, and as an aging senior in a family with a couple of kids who weren't able to get vaxxed due to the delayed rollout in children's vaccines, I'd rather err on the side of caution for their sakes than risk infecting others, especially as the variants are becoming increasingly contagious.

Got the flu vaccine as usual but did catch a mild but lingering case of it on Xmas eve, of all times! Fatigue and an annoying case of laryngitis for a few weeks, but was able to manage.

I remember getting the flu when I was in my 30's and unvaxxed. Totally wiped me out for a full week, plus it turned into walking pneumonia, which was incredibly painful. I have asthma so am prone to respiratory problems.

I believe there are something like 2,000 different flu viruses. Scientists try to ID the 4 most likely variants that will occur each year, although getting the vaccine will help ease the severity of an influenza illness no matter what variant you come down with.

So getting the shot is not a guarantee of never getting the flu, but at the very least helps boost your immune system overall.

Last time I was sick with a cold was 6+yrs ago. 0 flue, 0 covid shots, still very healthy. Living life!

I caught the flu just before Christmas this past year and it took me down for about a week. Caused us to cancel our annual Christmas eve party we always hold for family and friends. Probably been over 15 years or more since I had the flu prior to this.

DGF and I did get our 2nd Covid booster the beginning of Nov as we had cruises scheduled for Nov and Dec and didn't want any drama on our trips. I should have gotten the flu shot at the same time like I did last year but opted to return later for one, which of course I failed to do.

Back
Top Bottom