Graduation Gift? - grandson starting college

MarieC

Confused about dryer sheets
Our oldest grandson is graduating next month and since he's our first (of 5) and we have no experience with this, we have no idea what is an appropriate gift for a grandparent to give. Is it $$? If so, how much is appropriate? If not $$, what have you given? TIA

I've found $ to always be the right fit and right color.

As to the amount, that's highly dependent upon a number of factors. We paid for two year's college tuition and fees so felt $250 for HS graduation was appropriate.

As to the amount, that's highly dependent upon a number of factors. We paid for two year's college tuition and fees so felt $250 for HS graduation was appropriate.

+1

In all my 60 years, I never minded getting money. Just give what’s comfortable for you. Personally, I’d probably give a couple hundred because I’ve given plenty through the years and I expect to help with college.

Cash is always welcome, but I would add a small personal item such as an engraved pen, picture frame with a favorite picture of you with him, or a book you think is inspiring/helpful with an inscription to him.

A reliable used car if it is something practical for him.

Cash is always welcome. My family didn't have a lot of money to give so I think I got around $250 total from grandparents and parents. Give what you can afford and what you think will be spent responsibly. I know those from more affluent families got a car and the grandparents often chipped in a large amount. There is no "one size fits all".

Cash is always welcome, but I would add a small personal item such as an engraved pen, picture frame with a favorite picture of you with him, or a book you think is inspiring/helpful with an inscription to him.

Great idea. I still have the engraved pen that my namesake Uncle gave to me on High School
Graduation. He’s been gone many years and it’s one of my prized possessions. Used it everytime I had an interview. Rarely failed me.

Yes, the personalized gift is somewhat dependent upon the relationship. If you are close, a picture would be wonderful. If you are very close, spring for a professional photo set with you and the graduate - and maybe their parents as well.

Otherwise (and besides the personal gift) money is always appropriate. Always appreciated. YMMV

As an aunt who is not funding college for them, I give my nephews and nieces $1,000 for high school graduations. I hope they throw that into the college fund, but they're starting an adult life so it's up to them!

I still remember 50 years ago how touched I was that my older brother gave me $100 for my high school graduation. At the time it was a lot of money to me and to him.

Thanks everyone. I like the idea of a personal gift and $$. I haven't quite decided how much yet, but this gives me an idea what to consider.

Back
Top Bottom