Greetings, I retired and re-invented myself

Yes, I go by various handles.

Should I have shaved, or was it the hat?

I live in dense forest and I keep bees [along with a herd of pigs, etc].

:)

Welcome!

I am also moving to Maine, have riverfront on the Saco River and will be starting my first two jives in two weeks. I would say we were neighbors if Maine was not so big!

... We have 4400 watts of photovoltaic panels that feed a 600ah 48vdc battery-bank. We find that on most days our batteries are full by noon, which means that we can run every appliance in our home and every power tool without consuming all the power we generate.

Last year we bought a plug-in hybrid sedan to take up some of the surplus power we are generating.

:)

Welcome to the forum!

I am in the process of building up my lithium battery bank of 22.5kWh. This is for my urban home, so I cannot have all the solar panels that I want. Still trying to find the best spot for the 3kW worth of panels that I just bought.

In contrast with your location, here in the Southwest, I found that the hottest day of summer last year, I burnt 120kWh/day mostly for the AC. Disgusting, isn't it?

But in your case, you need winter heating, and your BTU consumption is not going to be that low either. :)

Welcome to the forum!

I am in the process of building up my lithium battery bank of 22.5kWh. This is for my urban home, so I cannot have all the solar panels that I want. Still trying to find the best spot for the 3kW worth of panels that I just bought.

In contrast with your location, here in the Southwest, I found that the hottest day of summer last year, I burnt 120kWh/day mostly for the AC. Disgusting, isn't it?

But in your case, you need winter heating, and your BTU consumption is not going to be that low either. :)

A/C consumes a lot of power.

Heating is not very expensive when firewood is abundant.

Just curious, how many hives are you running? If you are up north you must have a short season... I am in the part of Maine that is more "Northern Massachusetts" than Maine, and we still have snow on the ground.

Right now, I have one hive that over-wintered.

We had more snow yesterday.

Though it looks like most of it may go away this next week.

Just wanted to say welcome to the forum and really enjoyed reading your posts on your alternative retirement lifestyle.:)

Have you considered starting your own blog?

Welcome Offgrid. Nice story. Are you really off-grid/self-sustained? If so, what do you do? Always interested in solar and other self-sustaining ways.

I served 20 years in the US Navy, mostly on various FBM submarines. I took 4 years for college, and I got a pension when I was 42.

During my working career, we collected an assortment of apartment buildings. Basically one at each duty station. When I retired, we sold them and used the money to buy a farm out in the forest. :)

I am now 58. We have done pretty well on my pension. This year it has gone up to ~$1650/month. I think we would be fine on only half of my pension if I would only stop building stuff. :)

What do you grow... and how do we purchase from you ... I'm in MA ... love to support organic farmers (whether it's certified or not)

Edit: looks like you answered some questions... I'll read them to see if mine has been answered.

Welcome Offgrid. Nice story. Are you really off-grid/self-sustained? If so, what do you do? Always interested in solar and other self-sustaining ways.

We have 4400 watts of solar power and a battery-bank, we generate our own power.

We manage 150 acres of land, where we produce most [roughly 90%] of our own food, and we are vendors in a Farmers Market where we sell the surplus.

Our living expenses to cover the rest of the stuff we need is pretty low. No debt, no mortgage, property taxes are very low.

What do you grow... and how do we purchase from you ... I'm in MA ... love to support organic farmers (whether it's certified or not)

Edit: looks like you answered some questions... I'll read them to see if mine has been answered.

Some of it is bartered among neighbors. We have been in different markets, and in a Buyers Club.

Hi and welcome...Retired Navy Command Master Chief... retired in 2004 Getting ready to retire to retire from civil service after 15 years in 20 months.... at age 59.5. We will not have the investment portfolio as most on this site; however, at least about 1-M. After all the sacrifices we all have a good streams of have endured we have guaranteed income [emoji106][emoji3]

Hi and welcome...Retired Navy Command Master Chief... retired in 2004 Getting ready to retire to retire from civil service after 15 years in 20 months.... at age 59.5. We will not have the investment portfolio as most on this site; however, at least about 1-M. After all the sacrifices we all have a good streams of have endured we have guaranteed income [emoji106][emoji3]

Cnocmmz - thank you for your service.

Thanks for your service, was AT 1977-79 VS 31/ CVN69. Love Maine HATE the cold, I’ll visit in May Oct. you said it snowed yesterday WOW, I’m in Hawaii right now.

Back
Top Bottom