Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the link to the article: https://www.sciencealert.com/food-s...y-deal-with-groceries-during-the-pandemic/amp

"The biggest risk of infection is not contaminated food, but going to the store and being around other people."

Yep, we're shopping much less often, when the local store (LIDL) opens...almost no one in the store at that time...and avoiding big-box stores (Costco, Sam's, even Super Walmarts) altogether...if I had to use the latter it would be for delivery or curb-side pickup only.

Rambler, if after you open the bag of salad and take out what you want to eat and then put a paper towel in the bag before you close it up it will stay good longer. I kind of wrap the paper towel down both sides of the salad and I put in a new paper towel every day.

I do this with spinach and turn it upside down if it's in a plastic container. It's doubled the shelf life.

Another reason women live longer than men. Less ego involved in being "weak".

One would think, with all the superhero movies, than men would not see wearing a mask as "weak"...

"Why do you need to wear a mask, you wimp?"
"I'm not wearing a mask. I'm Batman".

One would think, with all the superhero movies, than men would not see wearing a mask as "weak"...

But they usually cover their eyes, and not their mouth, which is the opposite :facepalm:

ben-affleck-batman-1024x683-1024x683.jpg

Our local Costco just loaded 75 pallets of toilet paper onto the floor. It's literally a 1/4 of the store. Let's see the hoarders try to buy all that now! I dare them!

Well, our method of grocery shopping has certainly changed. Before the virus DH did most of our grocery shopping. He would take sale papers and determine which store had the best price of various items. He would typically got to 2 or 3 stores each week. I used to tease him that grocery shopping was his hobby. Now I don’t want him to grocery shop at all with what I read about older men with high blood pressure and the virus.

Now I am doing the shopping and I go with a list and try to get in and out as quickly as possible. I am far less price sensitive than previously.

Before it was no big deal to stop in the store on my way home from some other activities. DH did the bulk of the grocery shopping but I would often stop in just to pickup one or two items when I was out and about. I have shopped twice in three weeks. One of the trips was needed because DH needed a prescription refilled. Our pharmacy is in the grocery so I did our grocery shopping then, otherwise I would have waited another week.

Well, our method of grocery shopping has certainly changed. Before the virus DH did most of our grocery shopping. He would take sale papers and determine which store had the best price of various items. He would typically got to 2 or 3 stores each week. I used to tease him that grocery shopping was his hobby. Now I don’t want him to grocery shop at all with what I read about older men with high blood pressure and the virus.

Now I am doing the shopping and I go with a list and try to get in and out as quickly as possible. I am far less price sensitive than previously.

Before it was no big deal to stop in the store on my way home from some other activities. DH did the bulk of the grocery shopping but I would often stop in just to pickup one or two items when I was out and about. I have shopped twice in three weeks. One of the trips was needed because DH needed a prescription refilled. Our pharmacy is in the grocery so I did our grocery shopping then, otherwise I would have waited another week.

So true.
I used to visit many grocery stores per week to grab specials as I was out.
Now I haven't been in a grocery store for nearly a month !

I get all our groceries via Walmart pickup.

DW just came back from her first Walmart pickup and was extremely pleased. We finally have some fresh meats! No more canned chicken for a while.

They weren't able to fulfill milk, lentils and pudding. We got a variety of other things no problem. Significantly were meats and tortillas. (Tried to make our own and failed.)

DW was happy with the distancing employed in the pickup. She thought she'd have to sign even without having wine or beer in the pickup. Turns out she didn't have to.

I consider men who worry about looking weak, to be weak.

How you act is what counts.

Probably all gone.

Our local Costco just loaded 75 pallets of toilet paper onto the floor. It's literally a 1/4 of the store. Let's see the hoarders try to buy all that now! I dare them!

I had a hobby like your husband, and it really saved quite a bit. DH suggested we spend a $100 more on groceries and do the pick up service, but in our local area the supermarket prices are so high they are often 3 - 5 times the prices of the outlet store and ethnic markets where I used to shop. So it is more like an extra $700+ a month for less interesting and healthy foods for us for regular supermarket prices. I used to be able to get all sorts of items like exotic grains, fancy sauces, radish sprouts, a pound of leeks, a pound of asparagus, black rice, curry sauces, gourmet mushrooms and fresh herbs $1 an item at the discount or ethnic markets.

I'm ordering what pantry items I can from Walmart but even there most items are often several times what I'm used to paying. Overall I'm still grateful we do have the option for pick up services and don't have to worry about paying for groceries, but I'm having to rethink how to grocery shop and plan meals.

Back to Grocery shopping.

We are 80 and in Dallas and shopping is very difficult. Krogers, Tom Thumb and others are unable to cope with the online,pickup and delivery process. You order online for curbside pickup (plenty of unavailable items) are given a day and time and in many instances toy show up and are told your order will be delayed for who knows how long. Delivery dates are many times a week out and then who knows. Since tomorrow Sam's is open early for seniors and we have five prescriptions ready I will do a surgical shopping attempt. I will wear a mask and gloves stay as far away from folks as possible. My DW and daughter are not happy about my doing so. Covid-19 is an act of nature however we know where the blame for our horrible time lapse in response is!

We are 80 and in Dallas and shopping is very difficult. Krogers, Tom Thumb and others are unable to cope with the online,pickup and delivery process. You order online for curbside pickup (plenty of unavailable items) are given a day and time and in many instances toy show up and are told your order will be delayed for who knows how long. Delivery dates are many times a week out and then who knows. Since tomorrow Sam's is open early for seniors and we have five prescriptions ready I will do a surgical shopping attempt. I will wear a mask and gloves stay as far away from folks as possible. My DW and daughter are not happy about my doing so. Covid-19 is an act of nature however we know where the blame for our horrible time lapse in response is!

Our local Sam's sent an email saying they will have curbside pick up for groceries if you bring them a list during senior hours. I haven't tried it out myself yet, so I'm not sure how well it works in practice. Their order online, pick up in store wasn't great as it took me 40 minutes in store to get my order waiting in various lines. Maybe their curbside pick up for senior will work better.

In the past, we could get an order from Omaha steaks in about 3 or 4 days from when we placed the order. ~2 days to process the order and ~2 days shipping time. The last order we placed was 15 days ago. :( It just arrived today (Monday) by FedEx. I was a little concerned since we got an email early Thursday morning saying our order had been shipped. That's 4+ days in transit packed in a dry ice cooler.... When I opened it, everything was still frozen solid.... Well, time to fire up the grill....

Last edited:
DD just used a shopping service (I don't know the name) where someone did the shopping for her and delivered the food to her. It worked pretty well, they facetimed her about replacements for certain brands and choices, and she just had them drop the food off in the back of her DH's pickup truck. She then took it over to our northern house (nobody is there now) and she cleaned and disinfected everything, and set everything that didn't need to be refrigerated aside for awhile. She's using our house and fridge for overflow. Her total bill (including tip) came to nearly $1000! But she says her family of 4 is set for at least a month, including bread and milk which will be frozen for later. We were facetiming with her while she worked on it, and it was a literal truckload of food.

It probably sounds excessive to most, but she's very scared of this virus. She has pretty bad asthma, and 2 daughters (14 and 3). She can't sleep at night worrying about dying and leaving them. Her husband does essential work (cell tower repair), so he's out most days. But he doesn't usually interact with people much. She makes him shower and wash his clothes as soon as he comes home. And of course telling her it's probably not as bad as she thinks doesn't help. She suffers from anxiety at the best of times, which this is not. So the shopper service is probably worth every cent to her. For now, anyway.

In the past, we could get an order from Omaha steaks in about 3 or 4 days from when we placed the order. ~2 days to process the order and ~2 days shipping time. The last order we placed was 15 days ago. :( It just arrived today (Monday) by FedEx. I was a little concerned since we got an email early Thursday morning saying our order had been shipped. That's 4+ days in transit packed in a dry ice cooler.... When I opened it, everything was still frozen solid.... Well, time to fire up the grill....

I often order from Omaha Steaks too..I sent in an order a few days ago, it has shipped, it will be interesting to see when it finally arrives. When I did the order they were out of at least half the items, I have never seen them be out of anything before. We ordered expensive hamburger because there is no hamburger to be found in our town.

I often order from Omaha Steaks too..I sent in an order a few days ago, it has shipped, it will be interesting to see when it finally arrives. When I did the order they were out of at least half the items, I have never seen them be out of anything before. We ordered expensive hamburger because there is no hamburger to be found in our town.
Try KC Steak. We like their products better and we ordered a bunch of steak last Friday and it showed up Monday at noon.

Are they as thick and juicy as the photos make them look?

Try KC Steak. We like their products better and we ordered a bunch of steak last Friday and it showed up Monday at noon.

I just got on their website, they are also out of most of the things that I would like to order (like hamburger). Like Omaha Steaks, KC Steak appears to be out of about half of the items. I guess everybody is ordering from these 2 companies now.

It's interesting to me to see how this must be regional. Our "big" grocery run last week netted pretty much everything we needed, even plenty of meat. DW stopped by today on her way home from OT (needed milk) and they still have plenty. There was even a small amount of TP and hand sanitizer yet it seems that other areas are hurting for a lot of this stuff.

It's interesting to me to see how this must be regional. Our "big" grocery run last week netted pretty much everything we needed, even plenty of meat. DW stopped by today on her way home from OT (needed milk) and they still have plenty. There was even a small amount of TP and hand sanitizer yet it seems that other areas are hurting for a lot of this stuff.

It would be helpful if folks would tell us what area of the country( at least the state) they are in so we can figure out if the differences are regional, state wide or more local. I am concerned that we are having supply chain problems in my area (middle of North Carolina). Things do not seem to be improving here.

It would be helpful if folks would tell us what area of the country( at least the state) they are in so we can figure out if the differences are regional, state wide or more local. I am concerned that we are having supply chain problems in my area (middle of North Carolina). Things do not seem to be improving here.

I forgot that my state isn't on the info bar to the left. I am in central Oklahoma near OKC but have been shopping "out in the country" about 30 minutes from downtown.

My DW and daughter are not happy about my doing so. Covid-19 is an act of nature however we know where the blame for our horrible time lapse in response is!

Like to add some comments for our horrible time lapse in our response....

There is a lot of blame to go around but I will pick only a few: South Korea and USA had their first confirmed COVID19 case on the very same day but the South Koreans had a better response. I attributed this to the fact that they are geographically closer to China and they had experience with SARS outbreak. Therefore there was zero complacency by the South Koreans. They have a Korean phase called "bali bali" which means get it done quickly. USA was complacent because China was so far away and it was thought that we had more time to react.

Meanwhile, USA really dropped the ball on testing. When China disclosed the GENOME of the virus, the World Health Organization (WHO) developed a dianostic test for COVID19 which the South Koreans quickly adopted and started testing their citizens IMMEDIATELY without any cost to its citizens. They were the first to adopt a drive-in test so people did not have to leave their cars which isolated patients with COVID19 from patients who did not have COVID19.

Meanwhile, USA did not quickly adopt the WHO test and cited that the WHO test was not reliable so the CDC proceeded to develop a different test. Unfortunately the CDC test was discovered later to be seriously flawed so we lost 2 valuable weeks. Federal regulations also hindered quick approval of tests being developed by individual states so the USA was stuck without producing a diagnostic test in the quantities that we needed.

Now the politics kicked in with a whole bunch of Monday Morning Quarterbacking. In the meantime, the South Koreans used the WHO test successfully and they lowered the curve while the USA curve is skyrocketing. Without a dianostic test except for the rich and famous, the only tool the health officials had was the shelter in place order and the 6 feet social distance.

If William Shakespeare was alive today, he could not have written a more tragic tale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom