Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you notice my comment that they seem to be releasing the new pickup days between 5 and 6 pm not midnight this is a change.

Thanks, I did notice, but I guess everyone snagged the 4th day out as it was all gone by 8pm for me.

But I will be checking at various times through the day from now on, I wonder if it is location specific due to some demand algorithm.

I am not surprised based on their affiliations.
I wonder if Chik Fil A is wearing masks?

I drove through the CFA drive thru last week. No masks in my area. However, they had added a shelf extension on the drive thru window ledge. The credit card swipe machine was on it so that the CFA employees no longer have to touch credit cards and the guest could control the card at all times. The food and credit card receipt, when ready, was placed on the shelf so that the customer could take it thereby eliminating getting close at all.

I am not surprised based on their affiliations.
I wonder if Chik Fil A is wearing masks?
I watched on the news that workers at one McD shop somewhere in the US was having a protest, demanding masks and hazard pay after one of the employees was tested positive. All the McD was doing was telling their workers to wash their hands every half hour... I feel for those people who are being paid minimum wage and having to put themselves in danger like that.

Last edited:
I watched on the news that workers at one McD shop somewhere in the US was having a protest, demanding masks and hazards pay after one of the employees was tested positive. All the McD was doing was telling their workers to wash their hands every half hour...

No doubt companies like McDonalds should be providing face covers for their employees. But with medical grade masks being reserved for health care workers, where would a company like McDonalds secure enough face covers to supply to every employee? It’s one thing to find a few of them here and there on etsy.com but nobody has scaled making enough of these non-medical masks to supply to the entire fast food/grocery/warehouse club pool of workers.

Up until about two weeks ago it was unheard of for Americans to wear masks out in public.

I watched on the news that workers at one McD shop somewhere in the US was having a protest, demanding masks and hazards pay after one of the employees was tested positive. All the McD was doing was telling their workers to wash their hands every half hour... I feel for those people who are being paid minimum wage and having to put themselves in danger like that.

I found something related to this...

Multiple Positive COVID-19 Tests at SoCal McDonald’s Leads to Statewide Fast Food Strike
Two employees at a West Adams McDonald’s tested positive, while another from the Monterey Park location remains in the hospital on oxygen

In a protest organized by the labor rights organization Fight For $15, employees from Burger King, Taco Bell, Domino’s, and other chains demanded safety measures like masks, gloves, and soap, as well as hazard pay and paid sick days.

https://la.eater.com/2020/4/10/2121...virus-los-angeles-california-fast-food-strike

I watched on the news that workers at one McD shop somewhere in the US was having a protest, demanding masks and hazard pay after one of the employees was tested positive. All the McD was doing was telling their workers to wash their hands every half hour... I feel for those people who are being paid minimum wage and having to put themselves in danger like that.
A local McDonald's closed immediately and sent all employees home when an employee came in with a doctor's note saying they had tested positive. The plan was to get a cleaning team in and then reopen. The manager was suspicious and called the doctor's office. It was a hoax to get off work!! Employee was charged with mischief by police.

All on my 61st birthday. Honestly, I generally don't think much about birthdays, but I suspect this one is easily in the top-5 all-time worst birthdays for me, and there is still 7+ hours left of it. :(:mad:

Happy belated birthday! Sorry it was not a good one! Next year will be better!:dance:

What is Publix thinking? Customers are putting their masks on to protect the workers there but the workers are not providing the same protection back for their customers? Sounds like Public is completely tone deaf.
I'm shocked at that too. Particularly since Lidl's is now doing it. I've always liked their stores and employees but if they don't start all wearing masks then I will patronize stores that do. Even Lidl's put up protective shields in front of the cashiers. Publix nothing.

Attempts to use the Walmart online shopping feature 2 years ago was a total disaster after the first intial purchase. The wrong items were substituted, items missing, and complaints from the employee bringing the order out after a half hour wait in parking lot. My favorite grocer started the same service for a $5.95 fee, but I'm too cheap.

I went to local grocer today to supplement fresh produce and some items to complement a few recipes we wanted to use, to empty the freezer some more as we have our annual beef due end of month. Some procedures have changed since last Monday and different from the Monday before. That Monday,DW went in at 600AM to take advantage of "senior time" but it was crazy packed, and some folks cheated because they thought the seniors were going to get an extra TP roll, I guess. I went last Monday, got everything on my shopping list, except cherry tomatoes( which were there but walked by them cause folks were camped out in front of the bin) and DW wanted regular bleach, and they only had splashless.

My county has a population of 200,000 and there are 61 confirmed cases.

Today, I went in at noon, but several entrances were blocked forcing everyone to one entrance, there was an attendant wiping down each cart as per needed. Traffic stickers were now on the floor to direct traffic, and most folks were following the flow. One couple, definitely in their 80+ years, were unaware as were some others much younger. They had masks on, as well as some of the others who were going the wrong way. About half the customers and employees had masked/face shields. Anyhow, I got everything on my list, I got the second to last box of Bisquik, and last jar of Maraschino cherries. I scored a 24 pak of TP, and in the poultry case, a 4#pak of chicken thighs (old peoples chicken says DD) at 99 cents/lb. No lines at checkout, although it seems they everything in it's seperate plastic bag. Thityfive minute trip, almost total success; I dropped the jar of Maraschino cherries on the driveway going into the house.

Last edited:
Went to City Market, after senior hour, it was pretty empty of shoppers and as well stocked as it's been for a month. Fresh produce and plenty of meat which is why I went. Picked up some more beans online but they had plenty in stock, including many 25lb bags. There was even Bounty paper towels! No limit but people were only taking one.

Yes, but we must talk it down, and trash it as it's become too successful.
In my area a person can now schedule pickup 5 days out, and I FINALLY snagged 1 of the 2 last time slots at 6am this morning for FRIDAY.

There are no more time slots this week at all... so I feel "lucky", but know that it's going to be even more luck based next week to use this service. [emoji33]

I read your post and checked the Walmart where we have been using the pickup service. Yep, they now show boxes through Friday, but they are all grayed out, meaning no slots available. I checked again and 1 slot showed for Friday 7 pm but when I clicked on it it was gone. I also checked 2 other Walmart’s that are a bit of a drive. No luck there either. We started a list yesterday but if we can’t get a slot until Saturday or Sunday our list will really grow by then!

I have an alarm set for just before 5 to try and get a time on Sat or Sun.

Interesting times......

Last edited:
I read your post and checked the Walmart where we have been using the pickup service. Yep, they now show boxes through Friday, but they are all grayed out, meaning no slots available. I checked again and 1 slot showed for Friday 7 pm but when I clicked on it it was gone. I also checked 2 other Walmart’s that are a bit of a drive. No luck there either. We started a list yesterday but if we can’t get a slot until Saturday or Sunday our list will really grow by then!

I have an alarm set for just before 5 to try and get a time on Sat or Sun.

Interesting times......

I have found success with method 1, as I didn't really think method 2 was working but maybe it was and I was wrong.
Which did you use ?

1. When you went to get the time, did you first build a list, then click on Checkout first, which takes a person to the unavailable list, (which should be skipped) , then to the time selection ?
  2. I found if I picked a time slot, then tried to build the list, it didn't seem to work, but later thought maybe the time disappeared as I had selected it. So I really just needed to checkout. ?

I have found success with method 1, as I didn't really think method 2 was working but maybe it was and I was wrong.
Which did you use ?

1. When you went to get the time, did you first build a list, then click on Checkout first, which takes a person to the unavailable list, (which should be skipped) , then to the time selection ?
  2. I found if I picked a time slot, then tried to build the list, it didn't seem to work, but later thought maybe the time disappeared as I had selected it. So I really just needed to checkout. ?

In my experience with Walmart pick up --once you get a time slot you need to finish your list and "check out" within a few minutes or your time goes away. If you check out then you can add to the list or delete from the list later.

Went to our local i.e. closest store. In a small town, only one grocery store. We are in a county with about 570 sq miles and 5 cases of Covid. i.e. 1 per 100 square miles. The cases identified are about 35 miles away.

About a third to half of the shoppers had a mask. None of the employees. Another shock was the price of eggs. $5.99 for large eggs! Lowest price for any eggs, $3.99. This is a small town chain, and we are use to seeing high prices. At H.E.B. $2.67 for Eggland's Best.

Heard a news story about a pork processing plant shutting down, due to corona infection of the workers. Since the hoarders and panickers with their ears to the radio and their fevered eyes on the TV will now run wild buying out all the meat, not just pork, I rushed out in the rain to score one 7 pound pork loin for $1.89 a pound (not bad, huh?). There were 4 other loins left there. Left them for other folks. Also scored an 8 pack of albacore tuna cans, for when the empty meat shelves make people buy fish instead, for protein, and fish doubles in price. Will make some breaded pork chops with my new killer breaded pork chop recipe, then freeze the rest. On second thought, aren't the panickers already overflowing their freezers with meat? Maybe I'm over-reacting.

Before this got started in Feb, local grocery put pork loin on for a dollar a pound. I bought a 10 lb loin. We got PORK!

Before this got started in Feb, local grocery put pork loin on for a dollar a pound. I bought a 10 lb loin. We got PORK!

A dollar a pound for pork loin, wow! That's a good price. I can get spiral ham here in Pa for 99 cents a pound today, which is great, but it takes me forever to use it up. Took me a month to finish off the last one!

A dollar a pound for pork loin, wow! That's a good price. I can get spiral ham here in Pa for 99 cents a pound today, which is great, but it takes me forever to use it up. Took me a month to finish off the last one!

Next time you buy a ham, cut it into smaller sections and freeze them. Then you can pull out a section when you want ham but not have the whole thing in the fridge for a month. DH and I have been working on a ham since January.

Next time you buy a ham, cut it into smaller sections and freeze them. Then you can pull out a section when you want ham but not have the whole thing in the fridge for a month. DH and I have been working on a ham since January.

Thanks. For some reason I thought ham didn't freeze well. Good to know it does.

Thank heavens for the Walmart curbside pick up. DH is high risk--Walmart curbside pickup is my go to for most groceries. Overall it has worked well for me and there are not a lot of extra charges.
We've had one successful Walmart curbside pickup. It's not been real smooth, but I'm not complaining.

As I mentioned in the daily covid news thread, Walmart cancelled today's 5pm pick-up; an hour or two before the pickup time, DW got a notification. They cited higher demand, which probably means they didn't have enough pickers on staff. But DW was able to re-submit the order for a later date, so at least some slots were available.

I'm impressed that Walmart is updating the application, allowing more than just 'today' and 'tomorrow' to pick slots. I bet the IT staff that's working on these apps are having a tough time keeping things running smoothly while trying to release new features.

Heard a news story about a pork processing plant shutting down, due to corona infection of the workers. Since the hoarders and panickers with their ears to the radio and their fevered eyes on the TV will now run wild buying out all the meat, not just pork, I rushed out in the rain to score one 7 pound pork loin for $1.89 a pound (not bad, huh?).
Glad to see you are not in the hoarder/panicker crowd and contributing to the problems....:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Which did you use ?

Sunset,

We’ve been making a list and then clicking Checkout to see if there is a time slot. Previously we did this at midnight when the next opportunity, 2 days out, opened up. Today we’ve made a list and I’ve been trying to get a slot but all are filled through Friday! This is first time I’ve seen more than Today and Tomorrow.

If you can get a list checked out and get a time slot you have plenty of time to edit your list.

In my experience with Walmart pick up --once you get a time slot you need to finish your list and "check out" within a few minutes or your time goes away. If you check out then you can add to the list or delete from the list later.

I've used the Walmart system a few times now.
1. You can pick a time before checking out, but you have an hour from the time you do the time slot to checkout.
2. My suggestion is to do a small order ($30 or more), after which you can add items until about 12:30 1:30AM the (very early) morning that your pickup slot is for. I have a pickup for tomorrow that I did a couple days ago and I have done several modifications to the order already.
3. You can determine (after your submit the order) which items you will allow substitutions on. My strategy is to allow substitutions on most things, especially if I pick the Walmart value brand as they sometimes substitute the name brand (if the Walmart brand isn't available). When they do the sub, if they use an item of higher price they give you the original (lower) price.

I think the Walmart model is heads and tails better than Instacart for quite a few reasons: Better substitution policy, Walmart system interface allows me to make changes, no tipping as per Walmart policy and most importantly one party (Walmart) to blame/deal with if there is an issue. I tried Instacart about six months ago with another grocer in my area - the order got screwed up (substitution of items that were not on sale for sale items which drove the price up) and it was a major hassle to get things corrected/cancelled. I had to spend 45+ minutes in the store on the phone with Instacart before they would agree to credit me with items I didn't want. Never again.

Sunset,

We’ve been making a list and then clicking Checkout to see if there is a time slot. Previously we did this at midnight when the next opportunity, 2 days out, opened up. Today we’ve made a list and I’ve been trying to get a slot but all are filled through Friday! This is first time I’ve seen more than Today and Tomorrow.

If you can get a list checked out and get a time slot you have plenty of time to edit your list.

It has to be a location thing, I just checked a pickup order for my local store, nothing today, one later PM open for Tuesday, but Wed, Thurs, Fri..wide open at this point...

Regarding changing or editing your shopping list after you submit it on-line for a WalMart pick-up: after I submitted my original order, a notification on the ordering website told me that I had until such-and-such time to make changes or add something. When I tried to add something well before that time, it said no changes could be made at that point. It wasn't a big deal for me. But a possible glitch if you think of something half a day before your pick-up time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom