Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
haha, what shopping service are you using? I am looking for another way to shop since my Walmart curbside has let me down.

FWIW, We use Amazon "Fresh" (Whole Foods is also available to use), Walmart, and Instacart. I find this is the only way to get everything (I tried letting them substitute... very disappointing results). Anyway, Fresh" (and/or Whole Foods) has the best record of supplying everything ordered but limited selection. But more importantly, there is no fee as part of Amazon Prime. Instacart, if not for the $10.00 plus fee, would be the first choice -- we use King Soopers but the choice of stores is extensive. Walmart, while getting better, is just not "ready for Prime Time." In any event, between the three of them, we are pretty well covered. In addition, we spend a lot at VitalChoice for fish -- sushi grade Ahi and Salmon, for instance. https://www.vitalchoice.com/

And, of course, there are many individual items ordered from Amazon.

Oh! I forgot. There is Drizly for liquor. https://drizly.com/

Last edited:
Walmart has gotten tired of substituting more-expensive items when their Great Value items run out.

Now they offer an extensive menu of "substitution" choices at the actual shelf price for that item. I find the user interface for this feature tedious and time-consuming.

I had to hunt and peck on the website to find it (it doesn't pop up immediately under "substitutions.") Then you must click on each item in your cart to bring up and select the substitution you want, assuming you want any of them.

In most cases I just went with "do not substitute."

Walmart has gotten tired of substituting more-expensive items when their Great Value items run out.

Now they offer an extensive menu of "substitution" choices at the actual shelf price for that item. I find the user interface for this feature tedious and time-consuming.

I had to hunt and peck on the website to find it (it doesn't pop up immediately under "substitutions.") Then you must click on each item in your cart to bring up and select the substitution you want, assuming you want any of them.

In most cases I just went with "do not substitute."

If I went with the "do not substitute" option at Walmart I would have hardly any groceries --last few times most things were either substitutes, not available or simply missing from my order. Walmart has disappointed me.

I just got an order from Walmart 4 days ago, and they substituted just 1 thing, got everything else.
Except the 1 thing substituted was not put in my car !
I chatted online, and got a quick refund on it.

I tried Mejier for grocery pickup... boy what a wreck that was..
The phone me at 10 am to tell me my 3pm order is complete and then list off what I'm not getting, which was a lot, and ask if I want X substitute (at some unknown new price).
I asked since my order was done at 10am can I pick up the groceries, and the person said they perfer if I wait until my time :confused: Then why phone me so early ?

It gets worse, as they Didn't tell me where to park to get the groceries, I drove around the parking lot until I found an employee returning carts.
The parking spot was well hidden.
I park and phone in to say I'm there, the only one.. ..... wait quite a long time.
The fellow was careful putting in the bags, like he was handling explosives :)

It made Walmart look fantastically impressive, and I doubt I'll use Mejier again.

It's been hit or miss for us. When they "hit," the service is a great convenience. I just resent the additional time at the computer, perusing "substitutions." I guess it's no worse than when you go to the actual store and what you want is sold out.

We go at the early old-people hour. When we left it to 11 a.m. or so, in order to run other errands first, we found there were many more substitutions or "no longer availables." But it's still hit or miss.

If I went with the "do not substitute" option at Walmart I would have hardly any groceries --last few times most things were either substitutes, not available or simply missing from my order. Walmart has disappointed me.

We are locking down Sunday night (part of 6 Bay Area Counties) so I made a semi final run today. Have enough crackers, cheese, wine, tofu, potatoes, onions, TP, COFFEE, breakfast bars to last a month. Will still need fresh produce as I anticipate getting tired of whats in the yard. I'm only supposed to be on a 1 month Stay at Home but who knows? If people paid attention during Halloween then we would have been OK, if they thought this was really on Thanksgiving, then OK. My sisters still think it's a liberal plot

We are locking down Sunday night (part of 6 Bay Area Counties) so I made a semi final run today. Have enough crackers, cheese, wine, tofu, potatoes, onions, TP, COFFEE, breakfast bars to last a month. Will still need fresh produce as I anticipate getting tired of whats in the yard. I'm only supposed to be on a 1 month Stay at Home but who knows? If people paid attention during Halloween then we would have been OK, if they thought this was really on Thanksgiving, then OK. My sisters still think it's a liberal plot

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you! Ha!

As God as my witness, I will never go without toilet paper again! (credit to Gone With The Wind)

gayl, glad you are prepared for the lockdown. We had a similar lockdown in March and early April and it is no piece of cake! So, I am thinking of you and all of those affected by it. I hope things get better there soon.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you! Ha!

As God as my witness, I will never go without toilet paper again! (credit to Gone With The Wind)
I had to post the video. I love that scene! It is so moving. Vivian Leigh was such a great actress!

The last part of the theme music in that video brings powerful nostalgia. My late mother was from GA and this was her all time favorite movie. She took us to see it when we were kids. More than once I think.

Get grocery delivery 2 times a month and in between my friends and family help me...It's only me and I keep my homemade soups and chili always ready to eat.

Ah, Great Value only?

DW just ordered from W*M two days ago, and was delighted when they substituted a 30oz bag of name brand almonds for the 14oz bag she ordered. Same price.

The way substitutions work for Walmart pick up has changed in the last few weeks. Use to be you would just check items that you were willing to take a substitution for and you were not charged extra if the substation cost more. Now on the website you have to specify items you will take as substitutes. I noticed I am being charged extra if the substitute costs more. Joe, it sounds like your wife lucked out on her almonds.

My problem is not with the substitutes--my problem at Walmart pick up is that I find out when I get home and unpack the groceries is that I am missing many items that I was charged for and then I have trouble getting a refund. Not good.

I have a new shopping experience. I have always gone to the store. The last two times, I’ve encountered an employee that I’m just not sure what’s going on. On the first trip, we were doing our Thanksgiving shopping and had a lot of produce. As the cashier is weighing the produce, I notice him systematically hanging most of the weight off the scale. As me and DW are walking to the car, I ask her if she noticed. She says no and we look at the receipt. Sure enough, the weights are way under.

About a week later and a few days ago, I went in but this time my only produce was bananas. Went to the same cashier by chance and sure enough, he does the same thing. 3+ pounds of bananas (weighed at home) were just over a pound on the receipt.

Consensus in the family is that the cashier has an issue and is sticking it to the man (his employer). May also be that he thinks he’s doing people a favor. Personally, I don’t like it. I don’t want to be part of cheating, have anything to do with him getting fired or be put in a position where I feel I should let his employer know. I’ll be paying better attention from now on, not to go in his lane. I hope he’s doing this to help people out, but I’m guessing this won’t end good for him.

I mostly order Great Value items. This has been a very recent change - two weeks ago, they were substituting more expensive items at the same price. No more.

I figured they were on to us.

Ah, Great Value only?

DW just ordered from W*M two days ago, and was delighted when they substituted a 30oz bag of name brand almonds for the 14oz bag she ordered. Same price.

Last edited by a moderator:
This past Tuesday we got a huge bag of shredded cheese... 4 times larger than the one ordered... for the same price.

The recent change was that the substitutions need to be addressed before you go to pickup, rather than when they're putting the stuff in the boot.

I mostly order Great Value items. This has been a very recent change - two weeks ago, they were substituting more expensive items at the same price. No more.

Ah, I see. Order GV items with the hope you get the name brand substituted.

They are on to you.

Covid Obfuscation Terminology received today:

...store will not be able to fulfill your order due to immediate staffing challenges as a result of associate wellness issues.

"We believe in calling a spade a ***** shovel!" :LOL:

Last edited:

Dec 01, for us, they substituted GV for name brand. Charging the same price but giving us 50% extra. :)

I use the website for ordering, and only use the app to click on the "Check In" button

ORDERED

Great Value Chopped Spinach, 12 oz 1 × $1.00 $1.00
SUBSTITUTED

General Mills Green Giant Steamers Spinach, 9 oz 2 × $0.50 $1.00

My problem is not with the substitutes--my problem at Walmart pick up is that I find out when I get home and unpack the groceries is that I am missing many items that I was charged for and then I have trouble getting a refund. Not good.

Might be a store by store problem harllee. I use Walmart pick up and am having no problem beyond sometimes too many items are out of stock. But everything I'm charged for is always there and I've used the service a dozen or more times now. It is frustrating when I get the email and text telling me my order is ready for pick up and it shows a half dozen or so items out of stock.

Might be a store by store problem harllee. I use Walmart pick up and am having no problem beyond sometimes too many items are out of stock. But everything I'm charged for is always there and I've used the service a dozen or more times now. It is frustrating when I get the email and text telling me my order is ready for pick up and it shows a half dozen or so items out of stock.

My problem of being charged for missing items at WM just started within the last month--I figure they have got new employees who don't know what they are doing (or maybe there is some stealing going on?). This week I am going to try a different Walmart even though it is a much longer drive.

So far I've avoided using curbside pickup for groceries. I'm too impulsive -- if there's a "woo-hoo great deal" on beef approaching its expiration date, I want in on it. And entrees in the frozen-food counters call to me.

What I usually do is shop very late. I never get up early enough to take advantage of "senior hours," but the store is just deserted around 9:30. I also use self-serv checkout. I hardly ever encounter any other shoppers in the aisles, although the checkout lane (as in ONE) is usually backed up.

So far I've avoided using curbside pickup for groceries. I'm too impulsive -- if there's a "woo-hoo great deal" on beef approaching its expiration date, I want in on it. And entrees in the frozen-food counters call to me.

What I usually do is shop very late. I never get up early enough to take advantage of "senior hours," but the store is just deserted around 9:30. I also use self-serv checkout. I hardly ever encounter any other shoppers in the aisles, although the checkout lane (as in ONE) is usually backed up.

You can do this on line too. While shopping online I will see certain types/weights of meats listed as temporary price reduction. Put meat in cart..place order for as many as 5 to 7 days out. If they confirm the order I get the meat at the reduced price long after it has sold out in the store.

The way substitutions work for Walmart pick up has changed in the last few weeks. Use to be you would just check items that you were willing to take a substitution for and you were not charged extra if the substation cost more. Now on the website you have to specify items you will take as substitutes. I noticed I am being charged extra if the substitute costs more. Joe, it sounds like your wife lucked out on her almonds.

My Walmart isn't doing this as of Friday....I got a 22oz package of lunch meat instead of the 16 I ordered, no upcharge. Having said that, I have no problem if they tighten up the substitution process. I got an entire 110 dollar order with every item fulfilled properly and no items out of stock. I was in the pickup area for FOUR minutes. I don't expect them to make less money on my order then they do on an instore order.

My mom says half-jokingly that she wonders whether there is more germs in the air at the end of a long day even if there may be fewer people in the store. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom