Grocery Shopping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazon fresh delivery prices beat walmart in slot of things. Check dairy.

We miss travel to SE Asia so much that we went to the Asian market today and got what we needed to make Penang Curry and Pad Thai from scratch tonight.

Took DD to Costco, TP was well stocked, both Kirkland and Charmin, but no cases of paper towel rolls or napkins.
Did have a 5 pack of the Large tubs of Clorox brand wipes!

Even worse, Amazon prices are subject to change, often frequent and definitely without notice. And by change I mean "wild swings."

I don't know how many times I've looked at customer comments for an item I'm considering for, say, $109.99, only to see people saying, "It's pretty good for the $74.99 I paid." And the comment's fairly recent.

You can't stop comparing prices because you shop at online sources like Amazon; you need to do that just like you compare prices when shopping at bricks'n'mortar stores in the real world.

Reactions: W2R
Even worse, Amazon prices are subject to change, often frequent and definitely without notice. And by change I mean "wild swings."

I don't know how many times I've looked at customer comments for an item I'm considering for, say, $109.99, only to see people saying, "It's pretty good for the $74.99 I paid." And the comment's fairly recent.
Camelcamelcamel has an Amazon price tracker so you can see the historic price changes on various items. https://au.camelcamelcamel.com/

Another first. Was in Walmart yesterday, and N95 masks were in plentiful stock.

Another first. Was in Walmart yesterday, and N95 masks were in plentiful stock.

Now that I have my 2-shot plus 2 weeks "full immunity", of course!

Of all the stuff I could have "borrowed" from Megacorp on the way out, I picked a handful of ear-defenders and those amazing pens that (a few) still work after 15 years! But no N95s. Swore I'd never wear another one! Who knew?

Full disclosure after the statute of limitations has run, I also got a few paper clips and the pens were actually just the ones that wound up at home still in my shirt pocket. YMMV

Full disclosure after the statute of limitations has run, I also got a few paper clips and the pens were actually just the ones that wound up at home still in my shirt pocket. YMMV

FWIW, I was in high school before I figured out that not all yellow No. 2 pencils had P.E.P.Co. printed on them. My father worked there.:angel:

I have to confess that I have not bought a pen in 40 years. Nothing intentional. They just ended up at home. Shirt pocket, computer bag, etc.

Considering the number of weekends I spent traveling, no guilt here

Of all the stuff I could have "borrowed" from Megacorp on the way out, I picked a handful of ear-defenders and those amazing pens that (a few) still work after 15 years! But no N95s. Swore I'd never wear another one! Who knew?

true N95 masks weren't cheap even before the pandemic. You did right not to take any. I have pens from those that were in my pocket and cleared out before doing the laundry, I'm embarrassed to say. All acquired while frantically running around the hospital seeing too many patients. Very few acquired after we went to an EHR system.

Cool, but...how does one use this info to advantage? Just wondering.

When you are interested in something, you look at camel and it shows you the historical price range, so you can determine if you would be buying high or low.

If the price is on the high end, and you don't mind holding off, you can setup an alert "tell me when it's $89 again" and then sit back and wait, and they will email you when the price dips below your target.

I have to confess that I have not bought a pen in 40 years. Nothing intentional. They just ended up at home. Shirt pocket, computer bag, etc.

Considering the number of weekends I spent traveling, no guilt here

Yeah, no guilt either. Think I've told the story of how Megacorp gave us a "new benefit." It was to begin accruing vacation as soon as we joined - not holding it until the next year. At one of our big "employee" meetings, some VP said it was going to save megacorp $75 Mil. That made no sense, so I started digging around and finally figured it out - those of us who had saved over a month of vacation (like I did) suddenly LOST all of it. I figure (even after 15 years) Megacorp STILL owes me that vacation. So a few pens (and, uh, maybe a few other things, heh, heh) - I'm still working on quite a margin that I'll never get back. Beware of Megacorps bearing gifts! YMMV

When you are interested in something, you look at camel and it shows you the historical price range, so you can determine if you would be buying high or low.

If the price is on the high end, and you don't mind holding off, you can setup an alert "tell me when it's $89 again" and then sit back and wait, and they will email you when the price dips below your target.
Thank you, exactly right. I've noticed some items periodically jump up in price, maybe so they can say it is on sale the rest of the time.

Yeah, what I like camelcamelcamel for is maintenance items like my furnace filters and refrigerator filters. I can wait all year for them to go on sale. I have a camelcamelcamel watch on them for anything less than full price when I set it up. Then, any time they go on sale, I can decide if it’s a good enough sale to stock up. I’ve saved a lot of money that way. I like buying original equipment manufactured products (Honeywell air filters, LG refrigerator water filters . . .) and it really saves to catch them on sales. Usually have to buy them from third party sellers, but I’ve never had a problem buying through Amazon.

Was at Costco today for my weekly run. Surprise, surprise, they had samples out. Except that there were no samples! They told you where you could buy the stuff :LOL:.

Was at Costco today for my weekly run. Surprise, surprise, they had samples out. Except that there were no samples! They told you where you could buy the stuff :LOL:.

Yes, I can recall a time when we "ate lunch" at Costco. Now, it's just a tease. Looking forward to a time when we can save the cost of a meal again. YMMV

Yes, I can recall a time when we "ate lunch" at Costco. Now, it's just a tease. Looking forward to a time when we can save the cost of a meal again. YMMV

Eating samples from a grocery store--yuck! Even prepandemic I would never do that. I have never been much for buffets either, too many germs.

We love buffets, and never got sick - but store samples never called our names.

First of all, we dislike "dabs" of things. One time, someone was giving "samples" of fudge, so tiny and thinly-sliced I could barely taste it. Another time it was a teeny cup with a single grape and a couple drops of some kind of dressing. What are you supposed to do, down six of them at once, in order to get an idea of the taste?

Second, too much of it is greasy/salty stuff with a dribble of melted mystery cheese. :sick:

Eating samples from a grocery store--yuck! Even prepandemic I would never do that. I have never been much for buffets either, too many germs.

Ha. +1. I saw this at a truck stop recently, with a nice lady offering some fried delicacy or other. Yeah, no.

I agree with the samples, I was not born with the gene that seems them as appetizing :). Perhaps because I am not a cheese fan (other than when it is on pizza), and so many of the samples seem "cheese-oriented". Now, if they were passing out samples of m&m packets, skittles, etc. I might be interested :).

I don't mind buffets before the pandemic, but we would be selective and my comfort level would depend on client behavior. Too many kids, or talkers, no thanks. It will probably take me a while to feel comfortable at a buffet with strangers.

On my way out of megacorp, I took, with permission, a whole lot of technical manuals, since at the time there was a possibility of my continuing in InfoTechnology. Anyone want a copy of lMS/VS Messages and Codes? No? OK, how about COBOL Xpediter for TSO and IMS? I'm keeping all my spare pens. I keep finding more, too!

I don't mind buffets before the pandemic, but we would be selective and my comfort level would depend on client behavior. Too many kids, or talkers, no thanks. It will probably take me a while to feel comfortable at a buffet with strangers.

Personally, I don't think buffets will ever come back, at least not in the same format as before.

Personally, I don't think buffets will ever come back, at least not in the same format as before.

I was never much of a fan, except for breakfast in fancier hotels. But I'm sure they are back in Vegas.

Ah, the just-before-I-leave "shopping at the Megacorp store" :). Fond memories.

Part of my job role was managing a lab, with my retirement it was to be merged into a larger lab. The folks running a larger lab gave me the option to take any equipment that was fully depreciated, as "its older than what we had we'll probably trash it". Not wanting to build my home computing center any larger, I just took a couple of smaller toaster size storage servers and a kvm switch.

I received so many pens from hotels, attending conferences, conference expo "bling" giveaways, conference speaker gifts, Megacorp "initiatives", etc. that I already had drawer full at work that I hadn't touched. I still have not exhausted those.

Since most of my co-workers worked from home, office supplies were on the "honor system". Management's attitude was there's the room, when you come on site take what you need, if it gets excessive we will let the group know to slow down. We must have been well behaved since we were never told we blew the office supply budget.

The most in demand item was printer paper. The "paperless office" never materialized. I left with about a dozen packages of printer paper that took us over 2.5 years to exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom