Gym and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our city pools are still open. Staff will limit attendees to 100 or less, per governor's orders.

I will guess they will change this policy soon and close instead, and the pressure to distance continues to build.

DW and I decided we can wait a while on the pool and get out and walk or bike instead.

It's not just equipment and weights.

When people are working hard, they're breathing harder so if they're exhaling the virus, you may be exposed depending on how the ventilation system works.

Is it removing the air and expelling it outside?

Or just circulating it inside, maybe propelling droplets much further than the 6 feet of recommended distance?

I Googled for home treadmills and exercise bikes. Crazy expensive and they still don't look like the ones at the gym, even the supposed "commercial grade" Nordictracks.

It's not just equipment and weights.

When people are working hard, they're breathing harder so if they're exhaling the virus, you may be exposed depending on how the ventilation system works.

This is why I don't want to go to the pool. Plenty of hero types will power through a workout coughing in the pool. I know, I've been one of them in the past.

So, there you are, both at the same level (1 inch above water), breathing out, usually in a forceful manner. If you have to run the side of the lane or share it, you are less than 3 ft. apart.

We're gonna skip it.

I went to my gym yesterday morning and the usual Sunday members were all there. Since the kids are off from school, the gym announced they were going to have bootcamp for the kids starting today. Based on their doing that, I have decided to suspend going to the gym during the week and maybe even extend that to include my Sunday workouts.

Some local towns have totally shut down their rec centers, while others are still operating but have cut back the open hours. I am a bit surprised some cities would want to stay open at all.

We went until the first outbreak was reported for a worker at the Target next to our gym. The gym people were still doing high fives during class, that Target wasn't doing much as their hand sanitizer bottles were all empty and I asked if the screen they were making everyone sign with their finger had been wiped at all and I was told nope. I don't want to freak out but you now have a co-worker infected and were not wiping anything down, social distancing, etc, I'm going to have to pass on places where they are not taking it seriously.

We got home from the Y this afternoon (there were about 15 people exercising and they had a cleaning crew working continuously) and heard that the state (Ohio) has closed all gyms starting tomorrow. So for us it's workout at home for a while.

I got an email at 1:45 that our Y was closing at 3. I also got an email at 10:45 that the library was closing at noon. Not sure why they closed midday since we have no coronavirus cases confirmed in our county and only six in our state.

Yeah it's going to be moot, for at least the next couple of weeks, whether to go to gym or not.

Not going to be an option to go.

Bay Area issued a shelter in place order.

I was debating internally whether to go and the gym made the decision for me. They're closing for four weeks effective Thursday.

Decided to throw in the towel until this is over. I'm in the high-risk category by virtue of age. I also have mild asthma. Mild, but asthma nevertheless. Potential consequences just aren't worth the benefit, particularly since not going to the gym doesn't mean no exercise - I'll just get it by other means. Gym apparently hasn't closed as of today so I may not get any credit/extension of current membership. But, it's false economy to base my decision on that.

Gym apparently hasn't closed as of today so I may not get any credit/extension of current membership. But, it's false economy to base my decision on that.
Neither has our pool, although I could suspend it, and I may eventually do that.

But really, it is trivial compared to ending up in the hospital. Or dead.

Listening to our governor right now—all gyms now closed. I feel bad for my small gym!

My community pickleball courts are closing tomorrow. Oh, the humanity!!

I just got notification that all corporate owned Gold’s Gyms are closing nationwide. Ours is a franchise, but it was ordered closed by the Governor.

I went to my Personal Training session today and got a new workout for home. Gym closed an hour and a half after I left. Will do my next PT session from home via FaceTime.

Maryland had all gyms close today by 5pm.

I have breakfast two days a week with 5 to 7 Old guys. I'm the baby at 65.
Only 3 showed up this morning, after an email exchange, we decided to stop our twice weekly breakfast until further notice.

I went to the gym, attendance was pretty light, only a few of the treadmills, ellipticals, etc, had users, but I was at the weights, and that area was a little crowded.

It appears to be coming clear that you do not need to touch a contaminated surface or have someone sneeze nearby, but transmission can occur just by an infected person's normal breathing if you are in close proximity. Gyms that are wiping down equipment and patrons hand sanitizing is not going to cut it.

As stated previously, there is no way to physically clean each spec of gym equipment effectively! I think the industry should invest in some sort of passive cleaning process. This caught me eye in hospital use but it may be well worth it in gyms https://indigo-clean.com/

As stated previously, there is no way to physically clean each spec of gym equipment effectively! I think the industry should invest in some sort of passive cleaning process. This caught me eye in hospital use but it may be well worth it in gyms https://indigo-clean.com/

I don't know a lot about bacteria reduction numbers, but my understanding would be a 70% reduction is very minor. The work I was involved in was
going for a 99.999% kill, called a Log 5 kill.
I will admit there may be a difference in a kill on a non nutrient surface versus in a nutrient filled item, which we were working in.
Bacteria general reproduce very fast, so if you don't have a high log kill, it doesn't take long and they are back to pre-kill levels.

Went to the gym this morning (Planet Fitness), not sure how much longer it will stay open, no confirmed cases in the county I live in. One thing they did was block off every other cardio machine in the row to give a little more space between users. Considering all the cardio equipment the typical PF has it should have little impact on users, not very crowded on weekday mornings. They had the spray bottles filled but all the hand sanitizer dispensers were empty, first time I've seen that, probably a victim of the herds buying everything up.

Went to my gym this morning. Attendance down 50% from a normal high-season weekday. No one came within 6'. I still think that the risk/reward ratio is acceptable. With other gyms in the area closing I suspect that it's only a matter of time before mine does as well. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom