Gym and Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
City is closing the pools and all indoor facilities tonight at 5. Made the pool decision for me.

Neighborhood pools closed today for 2 weeks, LA Fitness the same. No pools for me either.

I was already staying away from the gym (and my beloved yoga classes) and my gym closed two days ago.

OK - I'm capitulating on my gym for the time being although it is still open and I suspect that CV transmission risk is low (either way: others to me or vice-versa). Bummer. :mad:

I would love to be able to go running outside like I did in my foolish youth but I suspect that my elderly knees just can't handle it. :( What to do instead for cardiovascular health? I don't have an answer. I've got some ancient free weights I can use for strength training, and also plenty of yard work to do. This isn't as good as the gym, but it'll do in a pinch. :greetings10:

Still go, but only play racquetball. Probably a group of maybe 15 or 20 of us, in the court 4 at a time (doubles). No contact with anything but our racquets. Sauna and shower after. Surely not completely risk-free, but not as though we are touching dozens of pieces of equipment.

Still go, but only play racquetball. Probably a group of maybe 15 or 20 of us, in the court 4 at a time (doubles). No contact with anything but our racquets. Sauna and shower after. Surely not completely risk-free, but not as though we are touching dozens of pieces of equipment.

4 people sweating and breathing near each other in a small enclosed room where the virus can easily live on all hard surfaces, including the balls, paddles, floors, walls, doors, handles, lockers, benches, showers? Sorry, but that is just asking for trouble. Just don’t do it.

4 people sweating and breathing near each other in a small enclosed room where the virus can easily live on all hard surfaces, including the balls, paddles, floors, walls, doors, handles, lockers, benches, showers? Sorry, but that is just asking for trouble. Just don’t do it.

Thanks for the advice. They're called "Racquets" BTW... :cool:

OK - I'm capitulating on my gym for the time being although it is still open and I suspect that CV transmission risk is low (either way: others to me or vice-versa). Bummer. :mad:

I would love to be able to go running outside like I did in my foolish youth but I suspect that my elderly knees just can't handle it. :( What to do instead for cardiovascular health? I don't have an answer. I've got some ancient free weights I can use for strength training, and also plenty of yard work to do. This isn't as good as the gym, but it'll do in a pinch. :greetings10:
Since our gym closed, Frank has been going for a mile or two walk in the neighborhood every day. This despite the fact that the pollen is driving him bonkers. He also has weights, and I have been encouraging him to start working the weights into his routine.

As for me, I have a stationary bike and a Concept 2 rowing machine (and really should start using them for a change :LOL: ).

I love the gym but haven’t been since we got home from Florida and it’s now closed. DW and I go on walks and cycle. We don’t come into contact with others on either of those activities.

You're doing the right thing. I'm sure almost everyone who has caught it so far (who isn't a healthcare professional) thought their risk was very low to zero.

There’s not much evidence that running is much better for cardiovascular health than walking. I’ve been taking walks in a place with no people near my house. A brisk walk is much easier on the knees and just as effective.

I’m taking daily walks as well just to keep from going stir crazy. But every time I see someone approaching me I have to cross the street. They probably think I’m being anti-social.

There’s not much evidence that running is much better for cardiovascular health than walking.

On the elliptical machine my heart rate stays elevated for an extended length of time - quite a bit different than a brisk walk.

I've started investigating the world of free online workout videos. I've never done any kind of exercise where I go through a set of routines following a leader. OMG - a perky young woman with a perfect body as a workout leader - sign me up! I'll do whatever she's doing! :D

As Ready and Avenger below point out, this is not good. Here's the thing: one reason this is spreading is too many people think they and their group of friends are special and somehow everyone is clear and safe.

You don't know that. That 1 person who is a carrier can easily infect all 20 of you.

I'm sure almost everyone who has caught it so far (who isn't a healthcare professional) thought their risk was very low to zero.

I've started investigating the world of free online workout videos.

I did my first-ever at-home workout this morning using an online aerobics video. In the unlikely event that any of you are considering this, here are some notes:

• it's more strenuous than it looks. I chose a video rated "difficulty 3" on a scale from 1 to 5 because I consider myself to be in pretty good condition for an old guy. During the workout, when the perky instructor said, "Now that we've finished our warmup..." I said, "What? We haven't even started the workout yet?" :eek: So much for being in "pretty good condition." :)

• apparently, there are things that a 25-year-old body can do that a 55+ body shouldn't even consider. :)

• the video didn't provide any instructions regarding what to do if you fall in love with your aerobics instructor. :D

Summary: it seems that using online workout videos will be an acceptable substitute for the gym while COVID-19 is stalking the population - YMMV. :greetings10:

I have been doing online videos for a few months . I find them motivating .I usually vary between arm exercises , yoga and taichi .I then add walking and I have a decent work out for an old babe .IMO using the videos are much better than winging it.

I shopped some treadmills.

Tried to look for ones with big belts, wide and long enough that you can run it at some speed if you need to.

Most of the higher-end ones try to combine it with something called iFit, which is a subscription, like $40 a month or so, with streamed video to coach you on your workout.

I never had to use anything like that at the gym.

What a damn scam.

Gym and Covid - 19

Well.....here in Ohio that decision has already been made for us. The Governor has issued a closure order for all gyms, restaurants, bars, barber shops and just about everything else.

The wife and I will be going for long walks, hikes and bicycle rides in the parks to get our exercise and get out of the house. It won't hurt to get outside and get some fresh air!!

Yesterday was the first regular yoga class I had to skip, so I did a couple of videos from my instructor's YouTube channel. It was a good workout! Not quite the same, but better than nothing, and a nice change of pace. (I mention it because there are plenty of workouts you can do via YT, all you need is a smart TV, a Roku, a computer, or even a smartphone.)

I just started, but I recommend MSUNN Yoga & Wellness and Yoga with Adreine.

What other workouts do any of you do at home? I know I've mentioned the elliptical machine a couple of times; I do 25 minutes most days, at a fast pace for most of it, but for 15:00-20:00 I go almost as fast as I can. Heart rate is ~130 during the easier part, ~170 during the fastest part.

None of my business, but that sounds like it should be #9 on a top ten list of How To Catch The Virus

What other workouts do any of you do at home? I know I've mentioned the elliptical machine a couple of times; I do 25 minutes most days, at a fast pace for most of it, but for 15:00-20:00 I go almost as fast as I can. Heart rate is ~130 during the easier part, ~170 during the fastest part.

This is a workout I do at home, multiple times a day even in BC (before Coronavirus) times, if I could not get to the gym or other outside activity:

My gym closed Monday. Weather has been decent and next few days look real nice so getting outside is great. 2-3 mile walk every day. I put in some time on the exercise bike too but my bike is not as nice as the ones at the gym. Plus, I miss my gym for the variety - treadmill, bike, stepper, weights, etc.... Oh well. Is what it is. I will say for anybody not in shape this is a great opportunity to start a daily walking program. We all got the time now!

As Ready and Avenger below point out, this is not good. Here's the thing: one reason this is spreading is too many people think they and their group of friends are special and somehow everyone is clear and safe.

You don't know that. That 1 person who is a carrier can easily infect all 20 of you.

Only 4 of us showed up last night and we played 8 games in 2 hours. Club was nearly empty and smelled very clean. Staff is wiping down all touched surfaces continually and all group classes have been cancelled.

All of that being said, I'll probably reconsider playing any more until the outbreak is contained. Just love the game (have been playing for 44 years) but it is not essential. Still hiking every day too....

This is a workout I do at home, multiple times a day even in BC (before Coronavirus) times, if I could not get to the gym or other outside activity:

Wow, I liked it!!! I've just finished my 4 minute-exercise, and I'm a bit out of breath with the last one. Thank you!! I liked it because it's so short :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom