Hail Hell

I have lived in Texas and Kansas. I am not a fan and have seen hail like that in both states. Hope your roof is fine.

Sigh...

Thirteen months later and another major hailstorm last night. USAA sent me a text this AM noting the potential for hail damage at our location and providing a link to file a claim. The roof (#4 in the 21 years we've lived here) is less than a year old.

This is getting old.

Was there any impact on the scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, or alligators?

Was there any impact on the scorpions, rattlesnakes, fire ants, crazy raspberry ants, cockroaches on steroids, killer bees, mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, tarantulas, brown recluse spiders, love bugs, swarming crickets, copperheads, cottonmouths, rabid skunks, wild hogs, or alligators?

Yes. Hail has an aphrodisiac effect on them and they are now multiplying like crazy!

How about the fascia, did it get dented ?
Or the house siding, our vinyl siding had holes and cracks from hail once, on the side where the hail came from.

No damage to the fascia (wood) or the siding (stucco), although it is notably cleaner on the north side of the house, the direction the hail came from. No surprise, as the storm effectively "hailblasted" the house with mostly pea sized hail for almost 15 minutes.

On a related note, a neighbor that had one of those quick roofing companies that show up after a hail storm a few years ago, currently has tarps on their roof, seems it's leaking after just a few years :facepalm:

After a huge hailstorm in April of 2019 (the source of this thread) we had roving door-to-door roofing contractors in the area for weeks. I waited for a couple of months before selecting a contractor one of my neighbors used who had excellent references. They did a great job.

Coincidentally, we've recently had an [-]infestation[/-] influx of people claiming to be "paving contractors" appear at our door giving the tired old line, "We're paving your neighbor's drive and have some material left over..." spiel. They had "not from around here" :) accents and all drove vehicles from out of state or with temporary plates. The third time it happened within a week I was in no mood to listen to the sales pitch again - this time from a guy older than the first two who showed up, a really fast-talking slick character who wouldn't take no for an answer. I finally told him to "Get off my property - now". He was still giving me a line of BS as he backed out of my driveway.

Sadly, a couple of folks couldn't resist a bargain and agreed to their offer. Need to drive by their houses after the big storm last night and see if their jet black asphalt driveways washed into the street...

I can't make the math work (see sig line) to justify the cost of a metal roof.

In round numbers, the cost to replace my asphalt shingle roof was $25k. A metal roof would cost between $60k and $75k. Accounting for an insurance discount of roughly $600/yr and a deductible of $6000 each time I replace the shingle roof (an average of once every 7 years), I estimate I would not break even until roughly the year 2045. I'll be dead by then.

Are you saying your roof costs 25K every time you replace it? I paid 10K for mine. They last about 30 years in CA.

I think the scorpions loved it. Walking the dog this morning I saw two of them sitting under a small umbrella sipping what appeared to be an adult beverage using hailstones to mix it "on the rocks".

Are you saying your roof costs 25K every time you replace it?

Yes, including all outbuilding roofs the cost was just under $25K. When I replaced it five years ago it was around $21K.

I paid 10K for mine. They last about 30 years in CA.

Another good reason to stay there and not move to Texas! :)

Another good reason to stay there and not move to Texas! :)

He said they last 30 years, but failed to say they frequently burn off from the fires much sooner.

I destictly remember sitting on my shake roof in Thousand Oaks. Ca in the early 1980's holding a water hose and wetting the roof down for a full day.

Sigh...

Thirteen months later and another major hailstorm last night. USAA sent me a text this AM noting the potential for hail damage at our location and providing a link to file a claim. The roof (#4 in the 21 years we've lived here) is less than a year old.

This is getting old.

One of my memories of Central Texas - hailstorms! Our fiberglass RV was pretty hailstorm proof, but I saw quite a few pockmarked Airstreams and Bluebirds/Prevosts.

Back
Top Bottom