Hair today gone tomorrow

If men are willing to spend monies, it can look natural.
IMHO, some of the guys in Hollywood past and present who had/have good toupees were as follows, just to name a few.
Sean Connery
Ted Danson in Cheers
William Shatner
Matthew Mcconaughey

Sooooo. If they are so good, how would you know they wear a toupee? You shouldn’t, right?

Hairlines are too straight. No scalp showing. Hair doesn’t blend well. The only thing that starts to get close to looking natural are hair plugs. Unless you have the bad ones like Biden.

Attachments

• 0831FBFB-5F93-4FC9-A8FB-B9F8F7FEDC0B.jpeg
    0831FBFB-5F93-4FC9-A8FB-B9F8F7FEDC0B.jpeg
    20.7 KB · Views: 23
Sooooo. If they are so good, how would you know they wear a toupee? You shouldn’t, right?

Hairlines are too straight. No scalp showing. Hair doesn’t blend well. The only thing that starts to get close to looking natural are hair plugs. Unless you have the bad ones like Biden.
From reading about it? These are also famous enough people that others look closely at earlier photos and figure they did something. I can't tell by looking, though I don't care all that much. If I was a Hollywood celeb famous for my looks I would be much more inclined to do something, and would invest plenty to make sure it was done well. Would Connery have gotten started in Bond without doing something? Might be vanity, but it's also for their career. McConaughey says he used Regenex, btw, and has let the camera show closeups of his hair in interviews.

And that sure looks like a picture of Bush, not Biden. Not that it really matters.

Good point in theory, but the truth is one couldn't tell with these guys.
Just Hollywood gossip which spread to the masses over time.
As for Biden, I agree although it looks a little better now that it grew in some more.

As an aside, a few years ago a guy at w*rk had a buzz cut on the sides with a blended toupee on top with a part along with a slight balding effect built in. Couldn't tell if we didn't know him.

From reading about it? These are also famous enough people that others look closely at earlier photos and figure they did something. I can't tell by looking, though I don't care all that much. If I was a Hollywood celeb famous for my looks I would be much more inclined to do something, and would invest plenty to make sure it was done well. Would Connery have gotten started in Bond without doing something? Might be vanity, but it's also for their career. McConaughey says he used Regenex, btw, and has let the camera show closeups of his hair in interviews.

What I said was tongue in cheek as in “if it’s so good, how would someone know”. That got lost a bit.

What I said was tongue in cheek as in “if it’s so good, how would someone know”. That got lost a bit.
As you know, sarcasm comes through very clearly on the internet. :facepalm:

Hair today, tomorrow, and forever. Lots of hair for me. And very little gray hair too.

No need nor desire for more hair. I still like more money though.

I like the idea of making "peace" with less hair rather than making a "piece" of hair. :LOL:

Let me further suggest that men who opt for the combover or hairpiece route need to understand that nearly everyone will recognize it. No pun intended, however, being comfortable in one's own skin - whether embracing baldness or trying to camo it - will require a willingness to not only own the look, but also an ability to laugh at the occasional tease. My personal approach is to typically be the first to make light of myself.

That is sooo true...If some one cant remember your name you will be referred to as “you know the guy with that toupee”. And dont even think about the Lou “do” comb over...
Lou Henson
The longtime college hoops coach's hairstyle, the "Lou 'Do," was memorialized in song during Illinois' 1989 Final Four run. Essentially, it was an ambitious comb-over that was held in place with what Henson admitted was the "ultra, ultra hold spray." The Lou 'Do was also captured in a front-page 'Wall Street Journal' illustration for an article on the dying art of the comb-over.
When it gets too bad just shave it off ala MJ...Or at worst use a bandanna for a while like Agassi did, then shave it off.

Like some other posters, I also have a full head of hair. It is very thick. When I decided to retire I started growing it longer. It is now ponytail length. W*ork would never have been conducive to long hair. But where I live now old boomer men with long hair is somewhat age-appropriate.

What I have noticed among some of my peers of old age is that some are keeping their apparently life-long pony tails even though they are balding. It makes for an interesting look.

Hair today, tomorrow, and forever. Lots of hair for me. And very little gray hair too.

No need nor desire for more hair. I still like more money though.
You can always use more money! I, as did my dad, have a consistently full head of hair. But he did that "optifast" thing, which I thought wasn't a great idea, health-wise, and he suddenly lost a bunch of his hair.

Last barber shop haircut was the day before my wedding 60+ years ago. I do it myself and it takes about 10 minutes.

If a haircut and back and forth auto expense came to $12 and was once a month, still only $8500... but allowed for an extra 5 or 6 weeks of fun.
Same here. I've never admitted this in public before, but I use a "Flowbee". If someone mentions my hair at all (which is almost never), it's a positive comment, so I must be doing a decent job.

My hair problem is that now it's growing more on the back of my neck and my back. Like the Sam Kinison skit goes, your hair just slides off the top of your head, goes down your neck onto your back, hehe!

What I have noticed among some of my peers of old age is that some are keeping their apparently life-long pony tails even though they are balding. It makes for an interesting look.

A balding man's version of a mullet. Maybe there are some dudes out there who can pull it off but I have yet to see one who wears it well.

Maybe there are some dudes out there who can pull it off but I have yet to see one who wears it well.

They always look pretty sad to me.

Things that look bad on men: bald with ponytail, man bun, comb over, toupee, obviously dyed hair, unkept beard, face tattoos, goatee, sprayed in place hair, thick eye brows, nose and ear hairs.

I thought there were rules about extreme political and/or religious comments?

I have been told that some of my comments "were disruptive and threatened to take the thread discussion off topic and into a divisive area that is not related in any way to ER".

So there are indeed rules. But the moderators must have deemed the comments about a candidate's hair plugs to be on-topic so far.

But the moderators must have deemed the comments about a candidate's hair plugs to be on-topic so far.

Well where's the fun in that? :LOL:

I just got my hair cut short. It looks better. I think this is the best I can do. I almost got a toupee but in the end decided against it and just went with it short all around and the bald spot doesn't stand out as much. It is what it is.

Well done OP! It takes courage to just let some things be...(and THIS is what is also looking so good on you now) but as a female let me assure you, it’s a far better look than adding products!

Last edited:
I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but another good thing is to get some sun on the dome. I use a hat or cap to keep sun off my head if I'm out a long time to avoid sunburn, but am trying to go without for shorter periods. Of course if you have a fair complexion you probably shouldn't do this. I've just noticed that the balding people who look best usually have a healthy tan. Again, be careful, and err on the pale side.

When I was young I had loads of hair, see my avatar, but it started to thin by age 30 and by age 50 I was pretty much bald. Never bothered me much, just one of those things. My wife runs the clippers over me every couple of weeks to avoid me looking like the pointy haired boss out of the Dilbert cartoons.

+1

So I bought the Wahl groomers at Costco and now have it down pat. Just need my wife's help to do my neck. The shake and go after a shower is an advantage.

I too had hair to my shoulders during college. Never had a ponytail or man bun though.

+1

So I bought the Wahl groomers at Costco and now have it down pat. Just need my wife's help to do my neck. The shake and go after a shower is an advantage.

I too had hair to my shoulders during college. Never had a ponytail or man bun though.

I went to college in the 80's and had a Robert Plant hairdo. It was down to the middle of my back and I got it permed (remember when guys did that?). I had a huge amount of hair. Today I have a huge amount of scalp.

Things that look bad on men: bald with ponytail, man bun, comb over, toupee, obviously dyed hair, unkept beard, face tattoos, goatee, sprayed in place hair, thick eye brows, nose and ear hairs.

I'm seeing a lot of man buns around here. College town in eastern Pa. Also a lot of big long goatees. And of course bald guy with pony tail. Not as many shaved heads as there used to be. Also a lot of unusual beard styles, like full beard and no mustache, or some variation. I used to be very judgmental of all the above. But, hey, whatever floats your boat (or gets more attention from the opposite sex!)

Same here. I've never admitted this in public before, but I use a "Flowbee". If someone mentions my hair at all (which is almost never), it's a positive comment, so I must be doing a decent job.
Ah, you must be the person I saw that I call "The Flowbee Guy" when I've been out on your side of town. :)

Yeah, nothing like being the "Toupee Guy" or "Comb Over Guy". Lou Henson was indeed an elite pro at it. However, even the best may find themselves in a strong wind, and become the "Hair Cliff Guy".

I don't remember if it's been mentioned, but another good thing is to get some sun on the dome. I use a hat or cap to keep sun off my head if I'm out a long time to avoid sunburn, but am trying to go without for shorter periods. Of course if you have a fair complexion you probably shouldn't do this. I've just noticed that the balding people who look best usually have a healthy tan. Again, be careful, and err on the pale side.
Yes. I agree.

Although I keep a hat available at all times, I do let the wind blow through my stubble and wild hairs every now and then.

Back
Top Bottom