Happy Pi Day

Does anyone here remember that old Star Trek (original series) episode where some evil alien entity invades the Enterprise's computers? Mr. Spock, in a successful effort to get the entity to flee, asks the computer to "compute, to the last digit, the value of pi." The entity screams and goes crazy and flees the computer. LOL

A year or two later I was involved in a project that had me computing what were then very large synthetic scientific datasets. Out of the blue I received a request from the Chudnovsky brothers asking if I could send them some of the data. They were interested in exploring numerical patterns in semi-random datasets. I sent them the data along with a note telling them how I once wanted to set the record for memorizing pi and how I read about them in the New Yorker.

Somehow the brothers found out that I was attending the Supercomputing 94 conference in Washington DC that year, and they drove down from their NYC home to meet me. They were two of the most fascinating people I have ever met. I felt incredibly nervous speaking with them because they were so brilliant. But they were very gracious too.

Very cool story!;)

Well, the average engineer does not really know much about pure or more abstract math topics. He is taught to handle or process formulas or equations, but is not taught about the fundamentals of mathematics like a math major is. Some of the engineers do take some more advanced math classes when pursuing post-graduate degrees, but not all take the more abstract subjects.

I have had problems explaining to engineer coworkers (those with Master or PhD) the principle of cardinality, or in laymen's terms, different levels of infinity of different infinite sets. Heck, they even call "real numbers" the floating point representation of numbers by digital computers, not realizing that computers can only define rational numbers, and actually a very small, meaning finite, subset of all rational numbers, let alone "real" numbers.

I had exposure to these topics in freshman year in college prior to emigrating to the US. The program required an entrance exam, which admitted 15 students from across the nation that year. In that 1st year, we learned Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra (or the Theory of Numbers), and Real Analysis ("Real" as opposed to "Complex", and not "phony").

Coming to the States, I switched to engineering as it would pay better, plus I already played with electronics since 12, so it was not all that hard. Only in graduate school that I really had to study when dealing with advanced engineering subjects like Optimal Control Theory, Digital Signal Processing, Random Processes and Estimation Theory, Error Correcting Codes, etc...

So, I did not have a Math degree, but had a taste of the stuff, and knew a bit more than the typical engineer. However, my knowledge is far short of what would be needed to read Wiles's proof of Fermat's Conjecture, a riddle that persisted for nearly 400 years until proven true in 1993.

Last edited:
My biggest scare in college when I was getting one of my engineering degrees was ending up taking Differential Equations in the math department. I was one of two engineering students in a room of 20+ math majors. What a ride that was. :LOL:

I've always looked to redefine the problem to something I could deal with i.e. what do I really need to accomplish here. That is one thing about the real world I like. But I really do respect the pure math types that can go directly at the tough problems and solve them.

Wow - I used pi almost every day of my working life and had no idea that there was a pi day. I guess it's not that big of a deal anymore - pi is buried in computer programs and calculator functions to the point where people don't need to know the numerical value anymore.

Last edited:
If you are on the East Coast it's now (12:18am EST) the Ides of March, no more pi day. :)

Pi Day

At SXSW in Austin

Attachments

• tumblr_n2effdJWFr1tuxxlxo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_n2effdJWFr1tuxxlxo1_1280.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 13
And today we celebrate another Happy Pi Day!!

If one uses the American system of dates 3.1415

And if one watches the clock 3.1415926 at 9:26 AM

Next year will be IMHO just as much of a special "PI" day as this year because 3.1415926 will easily round to 3.1416.;)

Back
Top Bottom