Happy Star Trek Day!

jimbee

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fifty four years ago today, Star Trek first debuted. There are panel discussions for every show starting at 1200 PDT. You can find it here https://www.startrek.com/day

Live long and prosper. :)

Wow, 54 years. I think I have seen every Star Trek movie and TV episode and for the most part loved every one. I loved the new Picard TV show that I binge watched earlier this summer.

Live long and prosper to you too Jimbee and I hope you receive many bars of gold pressed latinum!

Haha, thanks to the pandemic and libraries being closed I have become a Star Trek fan for the first time! So far have watched The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine series, and currently partway through the Voyager series. All excellent, and well deserving of their fame--IMHO. :)

A little bit of Star Trek geekdom: For some reason the other day I was googling the "Mugato", one of the creatures from ST:TOS, and was delighted to find that this pops up:

kd05q672rr2a.png

I loved the original series. It came at the exact right time, when I was about 10 years old, and made a huge impact. Over the years, ST and its successors were always on at the right time in my life. Midday on Sundays in college, just after the campus dining hall brunch. Just after midnight in graduate school, on Fridays, as we were wrapping up dorm parties. Very recently, ST:Voyager reruns were on just after I got home from work that final year. Really helped decompress from that feeling that I didn't want to go back one more day. I even liked ST:Enterprise - thought it explored some great issues.

So, help me with the newer series. I have the sense that they're just vanity projects for showrunners and writers, who take some joy in smashing the universe that Star Trek Beta (the books, and the fans) have patiently built up. See: blowing up Vulcan. I read somewhere that the overall Controllers had to call a halt and a retreat to try to bring some coherence to the now completely off-the-tracks plotlines. The ususal tiresome ritual plots of ongoing mysteries that spin more and more out of control until the writers drop the threads entirely and shrug: "viewers make their own interpretation."

I believe this was for the dedication of an El Paso Observatory. I got it in 2005

Attachments

• ST-Convention.jpg
    ST-Convention.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 31
We had a color TV that my dad was always tinkering with to keep it running. Many of the shows were still in black and white. When Star Trek came on, I got to watch the 'tease' only (the part before the first commercial), because it was my bedtime. I don't think there was a single instance where I didn't beg to stay up and watch it. It never worked; I didn't see the series until it was in reruns.

I recently was watching an old series, have gun will travel, and saw Gene Roddenberry was the writer. He could really think and write stories out of the box. I also went to Star Trek the experience in Las Vegas and saw how much all the series were entwined on a huge timeline chart.
He must have always been sitting in a room just thinking up stuff, and another room full of writers backing him up.
Wait that’s another movie.

I got to stay up late to watch Star Trek with my Dad. He worked afternoon shift most other nights so it was doubly special.

I believe this was for the dedication of an El Paso Observatory. I got it in 2005

Gosh, they couldn’t even spell Shatner’s name correctly. Wonder how much ‘stuff’ they’ve had to put up with over the years?

Though you might enjoy this: https://triviatoday.com/blog/featured.asp?a=8B75B5

5 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Star Trek
  • It Had The First Interracial KIiss (sic) On U.S. Television
  • James "Scotty" Doohan Created The Klingon Language
  • Neither William Shatner Nor Zachary Quinto Could Do a Proper Vulcan Salute
  • Stephen Hawking is The Only Person To Play Himself on Star Trek
  • William Shatner Has Never Watched The Series

I loved the original Star Trek! The Next Generation was good, too. Didn't much care for all the other spin offs.

Startrek fan from way back. Watched the Original series as a kid in the late 60's. Watched basically everything ST since then, including the moves, Discovery and Picard. Soon to come "Brave new worlds" which will be back to episodic shows, with Captain Pike in command of the Enterprise NCC-1701 (pre - Kirk)

I loved the original series. It came at the exact right time, when I was about 10 years old, and made a huge impact. Over the years, ST and its successors were always on at the right time in my life. Midday on Sundays in college, just after the campus dining hall brunch. Just after midnight in graduate school, on Fridays, as we were wrapping up dorm parties.

I remember watching TOS when I was a kid in prime time on Friday nights on NBC. But what I remember most is when it was on in syndication from 5:00 pm to 6:00 pm every weeknight when I was a teenager. This was the time right before dinner in my household. My dad would come home from work and read the paper and do the crossword puzzle in his easy chair while I watched Star Trek. Mom would be preparing supper. Dad wouldn't actually watch Star Trek, but I could tell he was listening in.

Dad was an electrical engineer for Honeywell Aerospace whose work included designing power supplies for the Apollo program for NASA (and others.) One of my all time favorite quotes of his was, "for an advanced high tech space traveling exploration group they sure do have a lot of power outages." It's true. Almost all of the episodes have a scene where they "don't have enough power" and Scotty has to jury-rig something to get them out of a predicament.

Now every time I watch Star Trek, esp. TOS, I'm acutely aware that they always have a "not enough power" problem.

I loved the original Star Trek! The Next Generation was good, too. Didn't much care for all the other spin offs.

I'm pretty much the same with the original and next generation. Didn't get too involved with the other spin offs.

At one point, The Next Generation was my go to for binge watching. I'd set my VCR to record the airing weekly. But wouldn't watch until about after a month so I'd get 4 episodes back to back. Escapism at it's finest :D.

One thing that always bothered me about the ST movies was how the Enterprise was always destroyed or severely crippled in the first 20 minutes. Then it had to hobble through the rest of the show. It seems that any alien can build a starship capable of besting the Enterprise.

I dream of a ST movie where the Captain, having had it up to here with some evil, duplicitous, self-righteous adversary, turns to his crew and says "Let's show this arrogant so-and-so what the flag ship of the fleet an do!" And then proceeds to out gun, out maneuver and out think the nasty villain.

I didn't begin watching TOS until the mid-1970s when it was syndicated on a local NY station (WPIX, Channel 11). It remained on WPIX well into the 1980s.

I didn't know there were some scenes which were cut for time until I stumbled onto a Scranton-Wilkes-Barre TV station (channel 44) which showed 3 straight episodes each week, uncut and w/o commercials, in a row. I had to play with my parents' VCR to pull in the station, but it was great being able to watch 3 episodes with some new scenes, all for the first time, in just over 2 hours.

I didn't like TNG at the beginning because of a few episodes I thought were terrible, so it wasn't until its second season when I became a regular viewer and was able to catch up on the first season's episodes.

DS9 I was into most of its run although near the end I was barely interested in watching it.

Voyager I also got tired of before its run was done, so I never saw the last few seasons of it. I didn't see any of the later stuff.

As for the movies, I liked the first few, especially ST:III, The Search for Spock. I saw that one on its opening day in early June of 1984 at a midtown Manhattan theater. That was a blast! The audience was cheering at a preview for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I remember yelling out, "Beam Me Up, Scotty!" when Doohan's name appeared in the opening credits. I was losing interest in the last few TOS-cast movies but did see some of the TNG-cast movies.

In the last few months, I found a cable TV network called Heroes and Icons which airs a TOS and TNG episode (and DS9 and Voyager) episode 6 nights a week. They are uncut but I am enjoying the recently, digitally remastered special effects, mostly the outer space scenes. My favorite episode, "The Doomsday Machine," has a lot of them.

I attended 2 conventions in the 1980s, one in New York and the other in Dallas. Nichelle Nichols appeared in the Dallas one and told us some good stories about making the movies.

I was re-watching the original Outer Limits series from 1962-1964. Back to back, the actors to become the crew of the Enterprise all had starring roles in these early episodes. Even the salt sucking woman from ST was featured with Shatner on an episode of OL. Easy to cast the series I guess....

According to my Tivo Guide

Star Trek Discovery, Season 1 will be on Broadcast CBS stations Thursday 9/24 at 10 PM.

Apparently, CBS needs to get some juice into its CV damaged lineup.

According to my Tivo Guide

Star Trek Discovery, Season 1 will be on Broadcast CBS stations Thursday 9/24 at 10 PM.

Apparently, CBS needs to get some juice into its CV damaged lineup.

Thanks Chuckanut, DVDing it

Not sure what "CV damaged lineup" means. I know CBS has a CV channel, but I don't know how that affects the CBS proper channel - this would make more sense if Discovery were going onto the CV channel to improve that channel's ratings rather than the main network channel.

Not sure what "CV damaged lineup" means. I know CBS has a CV channel, but I don't know how that affects the CBS proper channel - this would make more sense if Discovery were going onto the CV channel to improve that channel's ratings rather than the main network channel.

I think "CV damaged" means "Covid-19 damaged."

It means that corona virus has inhibited their ability to make as many tv show episodes as they normally would. So I’ve been told. I imagine they are working out ways around getting actors together for filming just like sports teams are finding a way to play some of their season.

Back
Top Bottom