Has anyone reduced their stock exposure this year?

So, yes, at this point in time cash is king and we are seriously considering moving our cash to something more stable than US dollars. The question is what currency that might be and how to switch.

Cash is a king? Really?

We had enormous inflationary period together with pretty bad economy from 1970 to 1982.

If you put all your money in S&P 500 you would lose 12.6% of it during that period. (In real terms)
If you held all your money in cash you would lose 86% of it due to an inflation. (Again in real terms)
The above assumes no cost of moving from one asset class to another.

Yes we may be in bad times but selling (paying taxes on those sales) and hiding in cash will not help you.

Last edited:
I will not do it but it seems to me that going to 100% gold now would be the safest place to be..

Adding gold :) to returns Feb 1970 to Feb 1982. Yup the gold would win assuming it costs 0 USD to move your assets to the gold.

If you held all your assets in gold you would lose 10.7% of it during that period.
If you put all your money in S&P 500 you would lose 12.6% of it during that period. (In real terms, dividends reinvested)
If you held all your money in cash you would lose 86% of it due to an inflation. (Again in real terms)

We could start with age, throw in some inflation, add a war between Russia and Ukraine, and throw in an important pipeline into Europe Add a supply line shortage issue and it sure gives you something to think about.

Something to think about, sure. Cause me to change my asset allocation? Nope. YMMV.

Last edited:
This from CNN:

image3.jpg

For details:
https://money.cnn.com/data/fear-and-greed/

Cash is a king? Really?

Yes we may be in bad times but selling (paying taxes on those sales) and hiding in cash will not help you.

OP here. Yes, I would not and did not sell from taxable accounts. As of close last night, the sales I made at close on 2-15 have saved me $62,000 worth of loss, but the game is not over until I put the money back into the market. I hope I get back in before the market has a 5% surge!
Still thinking of my neighbor, got out after 9-11 and still not back in.
Twenty years of growth missed :-(
btw, I did this when Covid started, I took money out after the down turn started and got back 17% cheaper. I got lucky, I have my fingers crossed, maybe it will happen again.

Last edited:
I give very little weight to analysis..It is my belief that no one knows what the market is going do short term. Having said that, I do believe that one day this economy will all come tumbling down. Sooner or later people will lose faith in the dollar..

I give very little weight to analysis..It is my belief that no one knows what the market is going do short term. Having said that, I do believe that one day this economy will all come tumbling down. Sooner or later people will lose faith in the dollar..

Not any time soon though. Right now people have faith in stuff like a meme crypto coin based on a dog....the dollar is just fine compared to that lol.

I sold a hundred and sixty grand of equities back in January to fund 2022.

Not selling or buying, standing pat.
We did our RMDs in January plus we have been funding some exceptional expenses for the last two years.

We are fully cash now but day trade daily yet always sell and return to cash by the end of the market day regardless of profit or loss. There are too many unknowns and obvious manipulations that happen overnight. We already have the experiences of 2008 so are very cautious now. We don't live off of or even touch our investments so it isn't a problem. Our pensions are more than sufficient for our needs and even then we build cash from what we don't use. We vastly over-estimated our needs in retirement. I have been cautioned for anything political so will leave it simple. The US economy is in an enormous bubble with nothing supporting it except the dollar is the world reserve currency. Our foreign policy decisions are forcing the world to reconsider this. I don't see a collapse anytime soon but civil unrest in the US might be the black swan event and oil going over $200 a barrel might do it.

Russia has recognized the entire oblasts of Luhansk and Donetsk but the LDR and DPR only physically occupy less than half of their territory. The Ukrainian Army has roughly 60,000 forces entrenched at the line of contact for over 10 months now so I expect an issue in the coming days when Russia politely asks these forces to vacate the territory belonging to LDR and DPR. Right or wrong this is going to happen. How Ukraine reacts to this and the outcome of that decision will be a potential for larger conflict. No one in Europe or the US wants to go to war with Russia. So, all we will see is a lot of rhetoric and sanctions that Russia prepared for well in advance. The reverse sanctions from Russia will also be very painful for the US. Russia exports a lot of oil to the US as it is making up for the heavy crude we used to get from Venezuela. The Fracking distillate is too light to make gasoline and must be mixed with very heavy crude which we are currently getting from Russia. Without that oil, the US is in trouble meeting domestic demands. Most lumber is coming from Russia as well, all titanium comes from Russia (essential to aerospace), and a large amount of nickel, cobalt, and aluminum as well. Anyway, my point is we are at a period in time where small things can end in disastrous results, especially to an obviously overblown market. We are also $30 trillion in debt (Russia has zero debt) and that is oging to have to come due. The problem with raising interest rates is the money used to service this debt will increase exponentially if rates go up. The Fed only has a few tools to fight inflation and they have over-printed the dollar far in excess funding risky ventures that have no potential for financial returns other than purchasing wespons.

So couple domestic unrest with foreign policy issues along with central bank problems and you get a black swan potential. Failure to predict Russian response to our ignoring their demands is the root cause of these problems in Europe. However, it is not too late to change our decisions but our exceptionalism and ignorance will prevent us from doing the right thing here which may result in suicide for the US. Canada is an example of where this is heading. Then we have China, yet another debacle in the making. Add in Syria, Venezuela, Honduras, Brazil, Taiwan, Iran, Iraq, Yemen, etc. and there are so many fires to put out any of which can result in big problems. We are vastly over-extended and our military is not capable of fighting peer adversaries let alone so many near-peer ones.

So, yes, at this point in time cash is king and we are seriously considering moving our cash to something more stable than US dollars. The question is what currency that might be and how to switch. All 5 of our pensions are from the US government and should things go really wrong and the US default our pensions will become meaningless. It is not very likely but also not impossible. I recall watching the Soviet Union go this way and the potential for a repeat is there for the US. The similarities are way too real for me.

I don't know where you get your information, but imports of lumber from Russia to the U.S. is minuscule. Most of the imported lumber to the U.S. comes from Canada, EU, Mexico, and a few more friendly coultries.

And with respect to crude oil, our 140+ refineries in the U.S. can refines all types of crude oil (heavy, light, WTI, Brent, etc). Imports of Russian crude to the U.S. average 7% of all imported, which is easily replaced internally or from Canada. I spent 35 years in the oil business and your comments are not even close to reality.

Nope. To put it in what, bonds or cash? :LOL:

And with respect to crude oil, our 140+ refineries in the U.S. can refines all types of crude oil (heavy, light, WTI, Brent, etc).

I've read that US refineries are so capable that the country exports light, low-sulfur crudes at high prices to countries that have less sophisticated refineries, while importing heavy, sour crudes at low prices to take advantage of the sophisticated refineries.

I've read that US refineries are so capable that the country exports light, low-sulfur crudes at high prices to countries that have less sophisticated refineries, while importing heavy, sour crudes at low prices to take advantage of the sophisticated refineries.

Yep, lots of trading goes on in the worldwide crude oil business. That's why there are so many brokers. Refined products are traded internationally also. Even though we (US) is capable of producing twice the crude oil we refine, we import a about 1/3 of what we refine (or more) for various reasons including trading, logistics, quality, location, etc.

No change in my AA.
65% stock now, with the rest cash. I don’t see any upside for holding bonds other than the 100K I have in I-bonds

Stock is 70% USA VTI
30% non USA, no China, but tilt to Vietnam and India.

I don’t expect this bear market it to be as bad as 2008 where the s&p dropped 50%

Unemployment has been declining, not rising.

Yield curve is positive slope, 10yr and 3 month.

Businesses are expanding.

Could be a strong snap back rally as we have seen in 1998 (Russia defalut) and 2013 (Greece crisis). Those events were 2 months and then snap back. This has lasted about 2 months.

No change in my AA.
65% stock now, with the rest cash. I don’t see any upside for holding bonds other than the 100K I have in I-bonds

Stock is 70% USA VTI
30% non USA, no China, but tilt to Vietnam and India.

I don’t expect this bear market it to be as bad as 2008 where the s&p dropped 50%

This is what I don't understand.. You say you see no upside for holding bonds..Since I have a lot in bond funds I need to understand why not..If you can buy an investment grade bond fund today for $10.00 a share and it is yielding 2.3% why do you not see any upside..Seems like interest rate hikes are already priced in...

Unemployment has been declining, not rising.

Yield curve is positive slope, 10yr and 3 month.

Businesses are expanding.

Could be a strong snap back rally as we have seen in 1998 (Russia defalut) and 2013 (Greece crisis). Those events were 2 months and then snap back. This has lasted about 2 months.

Hope you're right. Unfortunately, this time is different. The issue is beyond just pure economics at this point. There's a war going on and the major power involved happens to be a big producer of petrol and gas. The x factor is the geopolitical uncertainty and impact to energy supply, which in turns (partly) drives inflation, and there's nothing US monetary and/or fiscal policies can do to influence the outcome.

This is what I don't understand.. You say you see no upside for holding bonds..Since I have a lot in bond funds I need to understand why not..If you can buy an investment grade bond fund today for $10.00 a share and it is yielding 2.3% why do you not see any upside..Seems like interest rate hikes are already priced in...

“As a general rule, for every 1% increase or decrease in interest rates, a bond's price will change approximately 1% in the opposite direction for every year of duration. For example, if a bond has a duration of 5 years, and interest rates increase by 1%, the bond's price will decline by approximately 5%.”

Interests rates are very low now, and have mainly room to move up. Inflation is now about 7%. The fed plans to raise rates. To slow inflation they could raise rates a lot. Not at all good for a long duration bond fund.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom