Have you given up on DIY?

Understand how you feel. 76. Still doing all of the maintenance other's have mentioned.
Go to the gym. 6 days a week. Social/light workout. Noticed my "desire" "motovation"
starting to slide.

However, by forcing myself to "adapt", it keeps my mind and body much stronger than others my age.

Example. Current project. Replace 40 gallon gas water heater.
Did it before.
To make it easier. I'm modifying my car jack, to lift the
water heater the 18" off the floor. (code).

Next project: Cleaning the gutters. Previously, got on the roof.
Used small shop vac. And just vacuumed the gutters.
New safer plan. Using PVC pipe. Attach tube to shop
vac hose, and vacuum standing on the ground.
To make it fancy. Might buy one of those Borescope, and tape it to the
top of the tube.

Agree....with OP. I guess I more stubborn than most.

^nothing like a well thought out Rube Goldberg device. People see it in the shop corner and get this puzzled look.....they are fun to explain.

I still prefer to DIY when I can. However, due to age (67) and medical issues I'm limited in what I'm able to do. Since I have a fistula on my left arm I'm not supposed to lift anything over 20 lbs. So I try to limit it to 40 lbs or so (I've never been good at following orders). But I'll still try to fix anything that breaks. I've actually gotten better at that since the advent of Youtube. I've never enjoyed painting, so I'll farm that out. But I do most yard and garden work except mowing/trimming, minor non-computer related auto repairs, home repairs, etc. I still climb ladders, but that makes DW and DD nervous, so I try to be extra safe.

I do it both because I enjoy saving money, and because I like the feeling of accomplishing something. I suspect I'll be farming out more of it over time, as getting old sucks. But I've still got my "if Papa can't fix it, nobody can" t-shirt, and I will continue to try to live up to that as long as I can.

We still do our own gardening, and I mow the grass. DW will do some simple electrical and plumbing because she sort of likes it. Anything big though, we get done for us. I could change the oil on the car, but don't.

I still do everything around the yard and house maintenance at 68. But I did have landscaper come to build a retaining wall this year as ordered by DW.

At mid-sixty I still do everything that I can. I wouldn't replace my furnace/install new engine in car but will continue to do all I can.

My wife and I did a complete kitchen remodel in July. I will say after day 5 my old body felt pretty poor, but I also enjoy the challenge and it is good therapy in different ways.

Only 52, so yeah, doing most things as I get time & motivation. The kids are surprisingly not this way. I replaced DD's car battery (Autozone wouldn't do it as it's a Lexus & "needed" a computer reset", it didn't) and fixed the GK's swing / hut this week. Done a couple of custom closets for them too.

I remodel and do handyman w*rk part time anyhoo. Mowing the lawn is one of the things I enjoy & it's darn expensive these days anyway. We have one of the nicer lawns too...

Just did our kitchen refresh is you check out the What We're Making thread...

I still do most DYI, but I'm changing. After the first few responses to this thread about "No way, I'm done!" I was encouraged to read some counterpoints about getting physical work and not sitting around.

That's mostly why I do it. It is great exercise, especially yard work, but any of it.

I use ladders, but with extreme caution. The video above has at least 3 major mistakes, maybe more.

Without a pension or social security, it is still almost mandatory. We don't know what inflation is going to do, so DYI has saved us thousands per year, probably upwards of an average of $10k per year.

There is a time, however, when this will end. I am feeling it. I see an endpoint.

BTW: I have NEVER done my outside painting. It is all 2nd and 3rd story. I leave that to the pros. I limit tree work. Tree work is dangerous. I still do car work, but only in limited ways. Maybe replace an alternator. Replace a cylinder head? Nah, those days are over.

One last thing: getting workers to do things is still difficult right now so DYI can sometimes be faster. I hope the labor situation normalizes soon.

Sometimes I think about hiring some jobs out, but then I think of the time it takes to contact someone, schedule a time to meet, explain the details of the job, get a quote, schedule the work, etc, it just seems quicker and easier to just do it myself and get it over with. I already have the tools, the experience and the knowledge to do it. And the physical exercise is a bonus. I'd rather expend the energy to do something productive and save money rather than go to a gym and pay money to expend energy.

Last edited:
Throughout my life, if I could do it myself, I would. Car repairs, appliance repairs, painting, etc,etc,etc.

I have always been this way, and its killing me that I can't do much of anything now since injured, and may not be able too even after I have recovered.
Acceptance is the hardest step.

Will do the gardening, pool and some stuff inside the house. Never really handy, so have always farmed out most of the other stuff.
When one tells me that they fix their car, I ask him how much do you pay that investment advisor:confused:?

jollystomper said:
My feeling is, as long as I have the physical ability, I will keeping doing these things. I do know the day will likely come when I will not be able to be as active, so I will enjoy it while I can :).
+1, exactly.

I have always done anything I can for myself, why pay someone to do something I could do myself, and I intend to continue as long as I can. I could easily afford to ‘pay a guy’ but I find it very satisfying to do things myself and just enjoy using/learning new skills. I fixed our washing machine for $9 a couple years ago, with zero prior knowledge of washing machines (YouTube), very satisfying! Impresses DW too. :D

That said, I realize the older I get, the less physically able I will become. And I’ve run into my first ‘casualty.’ A couple years ago I got up on my roof to clean our gutters, and as I looked over the edge and the 18 foot drop, I slowly backed away and back down the ladder. Told DW I am NOT comfortable taking chances with falling from height anymore. So I gladly pay someone to clean out gutters now.

When we moved in 2019, it was hard work for DW and I. We had pros move our furniture and 99 boxes, but we packed most of the boxes and unpacked all of them. We also moved and broke down furniture a lot preparing to move. We’ve realized IF we move again, we really can’t handle that much again ourselves. :blush:

Last edited:
I was never very "handy" with things like carpentry, plumbing, electric etc. so I generally had that done by someone anyhow, even when younger. I always did all the lawn and landscape work, but for the past few years, have hired someone to clean out the beds, put down new mulch and trim shrubs in the spring. What takes them a couple days would take me weeks. I still cut the grass (riding mower), trim, etc. I used to hate paying for something that I could do myself, but lately I'm willing to do that, especially the more physical things. 66 years old BTW.

It isn't so much that I gave up but that my body did. I have always done most everything to build and maintain home and car. Now I have to pay someone and I hate having to try and find anyone competent these days. I can still paint, do simple electrical and plumbing repairs, container garden, simple woodworking projects, etc. but have to hold back on anything too physical.
I miss the satisfaction of having a chore done properly.

Cheers!

I have trust issues, which is the main reason I go with DIY. I just do not trust the typical worker to do a good job these days. I know if I do it myself it will be done correctly, even if a lot slower. I do realize now though that I won't save a lot of money.

I do selective repairs that are within my ability and tools that I own.

I'll do a car repair that doesn't require me to get under the car.

I replaced the throttle body on my 2015 Ford Expedition. Part was $120. Probably took me an hour total.

I replaced the turbo oil feed line on my kids 2015 Chevy Trax. A common fail point. Part was $20.

I replaced the sway bar links (front and rear) on another kids 2011 Ford Escape. That required jacking up each wheel, but not getting under the car.

I probably saved $700-$800 in labor on those 3 jobs. None were all day type fixes.

I completely replace my sump pump earlier this summer. New pump and other new parts. I also made it easier to replace in the future.

It is kind of like putting. Assess the repair. Is this putt makeable or am I just trying to not 3 putt. If a 3 putt looks likely, I let someone else do the repair or fix.

~60, still w*rking, multiple homes/properties, so have generally outsourced a great many things, especially:

Anything landscaping & lawn care related (other than throwing around some grass seed)
Anything that requires climbing a really high ladder
Anything that requires walking on or hanging from a roof
Anything that requires hauling heavy stuff
Anything that requires operating high-powered tools with sharp cutting edges/blades
Anything plumbing/electrical related, other than the simplest clogged sink, change light fixture
Anything auto-related, other than adding engine oil

I do enjoy small DIY projects and I do want to keep up my (very modest) carpentry skills, but I've had some terrifying near misses in my earlier years - lucky to still have all my fingers and limbs, and lucky to have never broker a bone. Want to keep it that way.

P.S. BIL the total opposite of me - will attempt to DIY just about anything, fancies himself a Jack of all trades, no project too small or large, has vowed never to pay a tradesman ever. But, let's just say that he's missing some clear judgement (evidenced by the dangers he's put himself in), as well as a couple of minor extremities.

Last edited:
I turned 67 this year and still mow the grass and wash the cars but use a plow service for the snow removal.
We just hired landscapers to redo a section of the yard because I no longer want to dig up river rock and remove landscape blocks.

I still do most DIY, except for major items like HVAC replacement or new roof. I am getting more concerned about high ladder work, now I limit to what I can reach with a regular 8 ft ladder; no more extension ladders. Health wise still able to do most things, but the recovery is definitely longer now than when younger. The physical aspects are certainly becoming more apparent, either go slower or find a way to minimize the extra muscle work. My hobby of old cars can be a lot of physical work at times. One of the best things is my car lift where i can get the car up off the ground so I can work underneath much easier. Feel very fortunate having that lift as it avoids the laying on the ground.

For most part I plan to keep DIY when I can. I have all the tools and the knowledge for most projects. It's just the motivation when it's hot and humid out or the physical aspects that I notice as getting older.

I think it is normal to reduce the DIY chores/projects as we age. I have always done everything as a DIYer. I have done car repair, home electrical, plumbing, flooring, tiling roofing, ..... and the list goes on. In the last few years, I have started to hire things out. I am not terribly impressed by the quality of work vs price paid, but such is life. I am coming to realize that saving a few bucks is no longer my primary goal. Preventing trips to the ER is becoming a higher priority.

I am still involved in working on my hobby car, cutting, welding, modifying. Even considering that, I think I'm on my last one. Still have a couple of years to go yet. I'm 70.

My father installed a DIY mentality in me. Car, yard & house maintenence among other things. But 20 years ago he mentioned taking his car in for an oil change. I asked why and he said that they do it for the same price he could buy the oil & filter.

For me, I do it if I enjoy it and it's not dangerous. I enjoy yard work, gardening and little projects around the house.

Part of the problem is that we don't have "a guy". Good handymen around here are really hard to find.

Back
Top Bottom