Have You Smelled an Old Person Lately?

From the article,

participants rated the smell of the elderly people as less intense and less unpleasant than the body odor of young people (20 to 30 years old) and middle-aged people (45 to 55 years old).

Maybe old people don't stink because they are more often retired and so can shower in the middle of the day or whenever they need it? That's my hypothesis, anyway.

Most of all, I wondered what would make someone write such an article, and what sequence of events would lead a reader to find and read it! :nonono:

I read the first few sentences and closed it. YMMV

This thread title reminds me of a Simpsons episode where Bart and Milhouse get an old first-issue comic book and Milhouse remarks, "it smells like my grandpa"...

Most of all, I wondered what would make someone write such an article, and what sequence of events would lead a reader to find and read it! :nonono:

Actually, I didn't seach it out. The article was one of those teaser headlines in Yahoo today.

Now I can only wonder, can you imagine being one of the volunteers having to do the whiffing? :blush:

Furthermore, I wonder if the study was under a controlled environment? For example, did the testers just have the old people cover there armpits for a few days with the item to get a sample? Or did they have to shower first (like cleasning the palette before wine tasting :LOL:)? Were they allowed to go home (where they can pick up house odors) or stayed at a controlled setting? If they were allowed to go how, how do we know the whiffers only smelled armpit odor and not some other smell from the house? All these important variables to consider. :LOL:

Don't know about others, but my grandmother smelled of listerine. She gargled religiously 2x/day.

I can get a whiff of the stuff today and remember her vividly!

Suddenly brought back a memory of my grandfather and his cigars. When I was a kid, almost every time he'd visit, he'd bring a roll of life savers to hand out to the grandkids. As a result, I associated cigar smell to a pleasant experience.

"Bad" not "badly." It describes the smell, not the act of smelling. If their noses don't work, they smell badly.

I was always suspicious of dad when he was in his late eighties. I know it can be difficult for older people who have to fight getting in and out of a tub. At that stage in his life, even when he hadn't shaved, he was heavy on the Mennen Skin Bracer. To this day, Mennen Skin Bracer reminds me of my dad.

I remember as a young boy my Grandpa smelled like Apple plug tobacco and Grandma like Scotch snuff. Never did like the habit but I thought they smelled good. Fond memories.

Cheers!

I wasn't going to read the article until I read your reply. I also closed it after the first few sentences. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom