Hello from Douglas the Yoga Teacher

DouglasRThompson

Confused about dryer sheets
Hello everybody.

My name is Douglas, I am 60 years old, and on top of my 40 hour/week day job, I own a Yoga studio, teach 9 yoga classes per week, and do Thai Massage on the weekends.

I am looking, over the next two years, to cut down to half time in my day job so I can spend more time teaching and doing Thai Massage.

Because I want to work less, I have read Bob Clyatt's book, Work Less, Live More. I will be posting some questions in other forums, but my plan is to move my 401K money into one of the recommended fund managers, such as Vanguard, and supplementing my reduced income with 401K money.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Be @ Peace,
Douglas

Welcome. After I finish scanning the ER posts this morning I am off to my workout. Often at the end of my workouts, I think about it would be nice to find someplace to get a good massage.

Hadn't heard of Thai massage before. Could you compare and contrast Thai massage to other types?

Reply to Robert about Thai Massage

Thai massage is sometimes called "lazy yoga" because it gives you all the benefits of a yoga class without actually doing anything!

It is done fully clothed, and on a mat on the floor rather than on a table. The practitioner moves the recipient into yoga-like positions and massages, kneads, and stretches all the muscles using hands, feet, elbows, and knees. It is very very relaxing. You can see pictures of me doing some Thai Massage on my website Home Page for Yoga Space: A Yoga and Pilates studio in Hyattsville Maryland, and clicking on the link for Thai Massage. At the bottom of that page is a link to continue learning about Thai Massage, and on this second page there are several pictures.

Thai massage is sometimes called "lazy yoga" because it gives you all the benefits of a yoga class without actually doing anything!

It is done fully clothed, and on a mat on the floor rather than on a table. The practitioner moves the recipient into yoga-like positions and massages, kneads, and stretches all the muscles using hands, feet, elbows, and knees. It is very very relaxing. You can see pictures of me doing some Thai Massage on my website Home Page for Yoga Space: A Yoga and Pilates studio in Hyattsville Maryland, and clicking on the link for Thai Massage. At the bottom of that page is a link to continue learning about Thai Massage, and on this second page there are several pictures.

Thanks Douglas for the tutorial. Fascinating.

Hi Douglas and welcome to the board. I had a Thai massage a couple of years ago and loved it. I subsitute teach yoga at a small fitness studio near my home. I'm hoping to teach more (also Pilates) once I leave megacorp and relocate next summer. (I've spent the past five years preparing for this). Not sure if I will venture out on my own or in someone else's studio. Maybe both. I look forward to your posts.

Wow, I should look into Thai massage. I need to stretch more and get rid of my lower back pain, AND I get regular massages anyway, but if I could have someone stretch me instead, that would be so much better... have to look into this in my area! Is there a national organization or a website that would have referrals?

Web sites for Thai Massage Practitioners

I did my training through Lotus Palm, but I just checked their website, and they don't have a directory of their certified teachers.

There are many sites that do register Thai Massage practitioners, as well as other types of massage. For the life of me, I can't think of the name of any of them, but it's easy enough to google. Just be sure to input "Thai" massage, because if you just put "massage" in your google request, you will be getting mostly links to adult sites that have nothing to do with massage!!! ;-))

I just did a quick search, and here is one locator you might try:
AMTA Online Locator Service

Back
Top Bottom