Hello from the Great Plains!

B-Guy

Recycles dryer sheets
I’ve been lurking for some time but decide to officially join the forum.

Both my wife and I retired a month ago at 59 and 60 years old. I have read everything I could find, met with financial advisors and feel we have a good financial foundation going forward. We were both in healthcare and have lived on our farm for many years. You may wonder how you retire from a farm. Well, we contract our crop ground and the pastures we manage ourselves and have since we moved here. I don’t consider chores on the farm work, it’s therapy. On top of this I have too many hobbies and home projects! I'll never run out of things to do.

We both grew up without much but not lacking in the necessities and as such are both conservative and don’t spend money unnecessarily.

Financially our home and land is paid for, credit card is paid off every month and don’t have any other debts. As far as assets we have a fairly healthy 401K, pension, bank accounts, etc. Not touching our 401K this will still leave us with an excess per year currently not including SS when it kicks in. All after our normal living expenses (including property tax, medical insurance and home owners’ insurance).

I see a lot of folks on here with a lot of wealth at least in to comparison to what we have. We are not rich by any means but should be comfortable to handle any unexpected expenses that always seem to come up.

I have too many hobbies and home projects! I'll never run out of things to do.

Welcome, B-Guy. The quoted line above says you're going to be just fine.

We have a remarkably diverse membership here, so you'll fit in very well.

Welcome aboard B-Guy,
As you know from your lurking, this is a great place to be. I look forward to hearing more from the Great Plains :)

Welcome!
It really doesn't matter how much others have, what matters is you have enough to cover your own personal spending.
Enjoy your retirement, and look forward to hearing more from you.

A big welcome to you and congrats on your retirement. I grew up on a farm and there is something about that fresh air in the morning that you just can't replicate.

Welcome B-Guy and congratulations on retiring!

Commonly, between ER and when folks start SS there will be a number of years that they will be in a relatively low income tax bracket... at least compared to the tax bracket that they would be in once SS is on line and RMDs begin.

That is an ideal time to convert some of that 401k money into a Roth IRA at a low tax cost. You may be in that situation from 2022 until you start SS.

We are. With no Roth conversions our income tax would be nil becausewe are living on taxable savings and my small pension so our income is less than the standard deduction. We can do Roth conversions at a very low tax cost... 11.4% in 2021 and 11.5% in 2022... vs 22% if we just kept the money in tax-deferred and didn't withdraw it until RMDs forced us to.

Something to consider with your newfound time.

Back
Top Bottom