Hello

Stella_Barbone

Dryer sheet wannabe
I found firecalc.com about 2 years ago when we first started getting serious about retirement, but I didn't find this community until a couple of months ago. DH is 53 and I'm 52. Two years ago we began to realize that we no longer enjoy working. Fortunately, when we starting looking at the problem we learned that we had been so busy working that we had squirreled away a lot more than we had realized (there's a lot to be said for no-load MFs, especially index funds) and then we got a couple of unexpected windfalls (the good kind - nobody died!) and now we are hoping to pull the plug next year for me and the following year for DH. I'm glad we found firecalc, because it made it clear that we had much more modest savings goals than we thought. A lawyer once told us that no one could retire with less than $10M -- seriously!

I'm a primary care physician so I have a lot of horror stories about people who've had trouble getting insurance on the open market. This makes insurance one of our primary concerns. We have no children and my parents are FI, so we just have to worry about our own finances. We're hoping that the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) will give us adequate security about healthcare, but we're going to wait to make our final decision about ER until the 2012 election has passed and the supremes have had their say. DH is eligible for citizenship in an EU country and I am also eligible as his spouse so that's our backup plan, but he's not as enthusiastic about it as I am.

My hobbies are dogs, gardening and learning foreign languages (bring on that EU living!), DH is a musician and we like to be involved in politics. I plan on doing at least some volunteering and always have the option to go back to w*rk part time, if I get bored.

Happy to meet you all!

Welcome Stella and I enjoyed your initial post over on the other thread. I typed up a supportive (of you, but argumentative against others) response but hit the wrong key and lost it. Upon review I figured I should skip it. :) One of the major worries on this board is health insurance coverage leading up to Medicare. I find it nearly incomprehensible that many here will cheer an invalidation of the individual mandate (and potential demise of universal coverage for decades) if that is how it goes.

Since working part-time is an option, if health insurance really becomes a problem, you could find a part-time job that at least gives you health insurance. You could also start a small business (it could be anything, as long as the IRS doesn't think that it is a hobby; read up on this) and participate in a group health insurance plan.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I have the impression that many health insurance programs in the US cease when you become of the age for Medicare.

Back
Top Bottom