Help! Garage door won't close

OP here with an update: Spoiler alert, happy ending. I ordered replacement sensors, they came this morning. Good news, I successfully installed them.
I also needed to replace a bad wire leading to one of the sensors - all 28 feet.
I wasn't going to try to find the bad spot in the old wire.
Not quite good news: this damned project took a full 4 hours start to finish. Granted that included diagnosing that wire, a trip to Home Depot for new wire, doing some tests before final install, and a couple of breaks. Still, now that it's done, I'm thinking "why the f&*@ didn't I just hire someone to do it?" It sure would have been worth the $150 estimate I was given - I'm genuinely very tired now.
Since I started this thread I guess I'm allowed to do thread creep. I can afford to hire someone, no doubt it would have been finished faster, my neck wouldn't be hurting, I wouldn't have been monitoring myself for any heart symptoms (thankfully there were none), and I wouldn't have a clean-up to do tomorrow.
Yeah, I have a small sense of accomplishment but in hindsight I would trade that for $150. This might very well be my last DIY.

ETA: Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Last edited:
I've had the same thought, that I could park under the door and the sensors could see under the car and bang !!

Next garage door opener install I'm putting them up about 1 foot from the floor.

Most newer doors have an auto reverse feature.

Most newer doors have an auto reverse feature.

I think it would cause a few hundred dollars of damage if it reversed after coming in contact with the hood of a car. I test mine occasionally with a 2x4 laid on edge. It hits HARD.

I think it would cause a few hundred dollars of damage if it reversed after coming in contact with the hood of a car. I test mine occasionally with a 2x4 laid on edge. It hits HARD.

I test mine with my foot. Still walking :LOL:

We have an occasional problem as the OP posted. Only on some sunny mornings. At certain times of the year, the sunlight is directed at one of the sensors and interferes with it. I stand and cast a shadow on the sensor, or wait 30 minutes.

You could probably glue a small round tube over the sensor, or a flat piece of plastic so sunlight doesn't hit the sensor.

True, but why would anyone park a car halfway in/out of a garage? And if they did, why would they push the button to close the garage door?

True, but why would anyone park a car halfway in/out of a garage? And if they did, why would they push the button to close the garage door?

I'll park my car partway in the garage for various reasons when working on the car, ex raining.

While it would be very rare, all it takes is someone to notice the garage door is left open and helpfully close it, or even myself since it's such a habit I have of closing the garage door.

I turn off the power via a light switch to the garage door, just in case someone wants to help by closing the garage door when I'm partially parked inside.

Since the fix is to simply move the beam up 1 foot, that's what I'll do on the replacement.

I'll park my car partway in the garage for various reasons when working on the car, ex raining.

While it would be very rare, all it takes is someone to notice the garage door is left open and helpfully close it, or even myself since it's such a habit I have of closing the garage door.

I turn off the power via a light switch to the garage door, just in case someone wants to help by closing the garage door when I'm partially parked inside.

Since the fix is to simply move the beam up 1 foot, that's what I'll do on the replacement.

I put a 1x2x6 in the track when I'm changing the oil, since I don't trust myself either.

One of the best features of my doors is the timed auto close. Never have to worry if I forgot to close the door or not.

Sadly, this tread made me recall a tragic accident from 20+ years ago. A friends 3 year old son was killed by a garage door that did not reverse when it encountered the boys chest.

OP here with an update: Spoiler alert, happy ending. I ordered replacement sensors, they came this morning. Good news, I successfully installed them.
I also needed to replace a bad wire leading to one of the sensors - all 28 feet.
I wasn't going to try to find the bad spot in the old wire.
Not quite good news: this damned project took a full 4 hours start to finish. Granted that included diagnosing that wire, a trip to Home Depot for new wire, doing some tests before final install, and a couple of breaks. Still, now that it's done, I'm thinking "why the f&*@ didn't I just hire someone to do it?" It sure would have been worth the $150 estimate I was given - I'm genuinely very tired now.
Since I started this thread I guess I'm allowed to do thread creep. I can afford to hire someone, no doubt it would have been finished faster, my neck wouldn't be hurting, I wouldn't have been monitoring myself for any heart symptoms (thankfully there were none), and I wouldn't have a clean-up to do tomorrow.
Yeah, I have a small sense of accomplishment but in hindsight I would trade that for $150. This might very well be my last DIY.

ETA: Thanks again for everyone's advice.

Glad it all worked out. Had similar issue. For other DIY's. My "Genie" opener. One sensor had "green" light. Other "red" (not lit). Both must be lit at all times. If not. First check wires from sensor to control unit.

Better idea. Run another wire, directly from sensor to control unit. If it lights up, you know the sensor is "good". If not, then buy another from Home Depot. (using an 25-50 ft extension cord makes it easy to check the sensors). Will save you time. :)

... Yeah, I have a small sense of accomplishment but in hindsight I would trade that for $150. This might very well be my last DIY. ...
Oh, don't go down that road. The way I look at things like this is that the first time takes longer, is harder work, and maybe even costs more than farming out the task. But after that, I have an understanding that I didn't previously have and a capability that I can use again. Never again will I be at the mercy of a service person's schedule and their complete freedom to sell me parts that I don't need at prices much higher than I can find elsewhere. All of that is my payback for the pain of the first experience. YMMV of course, but that is my philosophy on DIY.

Oh, don't go down that road. The way I look at things like this is that the first time takes longer, is harder work, and maybe even costs more than farming out the task. But after that, I have an understanding that I didn't previously have and a capability that I can use again.

This is also my view on buying tools, some of which I admit that I may never use again. But usually the cost of the specialized tool is at least close to "break even" and even if it isn't, I figure if I ever use it again then I'm ahead. Fortunately for me DW understands this and approves. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Oh, don't go down that road. The way I look at things like this is that the first time takes longer, is harder work, and maybe even costs more than farming out the task. But after that, I have an understanding that I didn't previously have and a capability that I can use again. Never again will I be at the mercy of a service person's schedule and their complete freedom to sell me parts that I don't need at prices much higher than I can find elsewhere. All of that is my payback for the pain of the first experience. YMMV of course, but that is my philosophy on DIY.

100% agree. :dance:

But only applies to us few, DYI, :flowers:

This is also my view on buying tools, some of which I admit that I may never use again. But usually the cost of the specialized tool is at least close to "break even" and even if it isn't, I figure if I ever use it again then I'm ahead. Fortunately for me DW understands this and approves. Not everyone is so fortunate.
Yes! That's my philosophy too. And in almost all cases, having the tool gives me a capability I didn't previously have and first use of it gives me at least a little bit of a skill I didn't have previously. I never mentally charge the cost of a tool to the job that caused me to buy it.

Spontaneously, my garage door won't close when using my automatic door closer. i.e., when pushing either of my car's button, or the outside garage door button, the door either doesn't close at all, or it goes a very short distance before it reverses. Strangely, when I push AND HOLD the inside garage door button, it will close all the way. But if I just press the button the door likewise moves at most a foot or 2 before reversing.
I tried changing the downward force, but that did not do anything. I cleaned the safety sensors, likewise no change. I'm sending this early Friday afternoon before the holiday weekend, so I doubt I can get a service person here until next week. Can anyone here offer some suggestions?

Make sure the 2 ends of the safety sensor are accurately lined up. If the beam does not connect to the other side, it wont close. Even tiny adjustments in alignment by trial and error make a difference.

No LED bulbs

Spontaneously, my garage door won't close when using my automatic door closer. i.e., when pushing either of my car's button, or the outside garage door button, the door either doesn't close at all, or it goes a very short distance before it reverses. Strangely, when I push AND HOLD the inside garage door button, it will close all the way. But if I just press the button the door likewise moves at most a foot or 2 before reversing.
I tried changing the downward force, but that did not do anything. I cleaned the safety sensors, likewise no change. I'm sending this early Friday afternoon before the holiday weekend, so I doubt I can get a service person here until next week. Can anyone here offer some suggestions?
Did you replace your light bulbs with LEDs, they mess up remote signals.

Because you have a spouse who hits the garage door opener before he can see the garage door and I have my hatch door open and it gets whacked by the garage door before the garage door reverses? Or you're arriving home in your car just before your spouse is about to arrive home in his car and your car is halfway into the garage when he hits his remote before he can see the garage door?

Yes, I have told him a gazillion times not to hit the remote until he has eyes on the garage door and verifies everything is clear. Does he still do hit the remote 'blind?' Of course, he does.

Yeah, some people are impatient.

Because you have a spouse who hits the garage door opener before he can see the garage door and I have my hatch door open and it gets whacked by the garage door before the garage door reverses? Or you're arriving home in your car just before your spouse is about to arrive home in his car and your car is halfway into the garage when he hits his remote before he can see the garage door?

Yes, I have told him a gazillion times not to hit the remote until he has eyes on the garage door and verifies everything is clear. Does he still do hit the remote 'blind?' Of course, he does.

I used to do this, as I come around the corner, punch the button, and drive down the street turn into the driveway and right into the garage. Just like BATMAN driving into the Bat Cave :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom