Help! Garage door won't close

I used to do this, as I come around the corner, punch the button, and drive down the street turn into the driveway and right into the garage. Just like BATMAN driving into the Bat Cave :LOL:

Not a bad plan if only one person is using the garage!

I used to do this, as I come around the corner, punch the button, and drive down the street turn into the driveway and right into the garage. Just like BATMAN driving into the Bat Cave :LOL:

Yes! Lol! I was just about to reference the Bat Cave!!!

I'll add this recommendation about sensor wiring that I recently received from an installer:

If you're ever installing new sensor wires, especially any that will eventually be behind drywall, use network cables (Cat5, Cat6, etc.). You'll only use 1 pair of conductors, but now have a bunch of spares in place.

Oh, don't go down that road. The way I look at things like this is that the first time takes longer, is harder work, and maybe even costs more than farming out the task. But after that, I have an understanding that I didn't previously have and a capability that I can use again. Never again will I be at the mercy of a service person's schedule and their complete freedom to sell me parts that I don't need at prices much higher than I can find elsewhere. All of that is my payback for the pain of the first experience. YMMV of course, but that is my philosophy on DIY.

This is also my view on buying tools, some of which I admit that I may never use again. But usually the cost of the specialized tool is at least close to "break even" and even if it isn't, I figure if I ever use it again then I'm ahead. Fortunately for me DW understands this and approves. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Absolutely.

Since the fix is to simply move the beam up 1 foot, that's what I'll do on the replacement.

Sadly, this tread made me recall a tragic accident from 20+ years ago. A friends 3 year old son was killed by a garage door that did not reverse when it encountered the boys chest.

Exactly why you don't mount the beam up 1 foot. It needs to be low. Sorry if it shines under your vehicle. The safety is for people and pets, not your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Oh, don't go down that road. The way I look at things like this is that the first time takes longer, is harder work, and maybe even costs more than farming out the task. But after that, I have an understanding that I didn't previously have and a capability that I can use again. Never again will I be at the mercy of a service person's schedule and their complete freedom to sell me parts that I don't need at prices much higher than I can find elsewhere. All of that is my payback for the pain of the first experience. YMMV of course, but that is my philosophy on DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
This is also my view on buying tools, some of which I admit that I may never use again. But usually the cost of the specialized tool is at least close to "break even" and even if it isn't, I figure if I ever use it again then I'm ahead. Fortunately for me DW understands this and approves. Not everyone is so fortunate.

Absolutely.Absolutely.

Guilty here. How else do you keep learning. I keep telling DW that at my age, I should have bought every tool I would ever need. Yet I still keep finding that I need some tool to do a task properly (or improperly).

I have stopped installing shingles and don't like tall ladders as much as I used to though. As for Some years back, I replaced the timing belt on my PT Cruiser (RIP) It took me a couple of days to accomplish. When I started it up, I found out it ran like cr@p, I missed the timing by 1 tooth. It only took me a day to redo it.

Live and learn or learn and live. I enjoy doing the latter. Currently, I purchased my 1st 3D printer a couple of months ago to learn something new.

Guilty here. How else do you keep learning. I keep telling DW that at my age, I should have bought every tool I would ever need. Yet I still keep finding that I need some tool to do a task properly (or improperly).

Great. I thought I was the only person who thought this way. :)
Glad there are us "DIY's" who are always trying something
NEW! :dance:

Back
Top Bottom