Help me replace my kitchen stove

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My kitchen electric range (Samsung, 12 years old) is showing signs of failure and I want to replace it with a new one.
Having used an induction cooktop at an AirBnB not long ago, I really like it because it's the closest thing to the gas range I grew up with.
But my wife worries that induction isn't as popular as I think it is. Since I expect to sell the place within three years or so, I have to consider that. We don't have natural gas here, so it's either normal electric or induction. The majority of my pots and pans are compatible with induction, so that's not a consideration.

Is an induction cooktop really a minus when selling a home or is it reasonable?

I've used them when traveling in Europe. If/when we downsize, if the condo has an electric stove we'll replace it with induction.

We recently had to replace our gas range and went with induction. We like it a lot. We liked the gas range also.

For us, either induction or gas would be vastly preferable to electric.

My kitchen electric range (Samsung, 12 years old) is showing signs of failure and I want to replace it with a new one.
Having used an induction cooktop at an AirBnB not long ago, I really like it because it's the closest thing to the gas range I grew up with.
But my wife worries that induction isn't as popular as I think it is. Since I expect to sell the place within three years or so, I have to consider that. We don't have natural gas here, so it's either normal electric or induction. The majority of my pots and pans are compatible with induction, so that's not a consideration.

Is an induction cooktop really a minus when selling a home or is it reasonable?
I think an induction cooktop doesn’t bring in new buyers but does discourage some. When you sell, if it’s a sellers market it won’t make a difference. If it’s a buyers market it may be a negative.

If we needed to replace our current set up, it would be with an induction cook top. No extra heat generated and no NG fumes. Very good heat control & at full blast, it heats very very fast. I've used a friend's induction stove & loved it. I bought a portable one with a single burner to try it out and it works very well though not as functional as a cooktop.

I've heard that you need to research carefully because some of the lower end models have a very small induction area, so even though the marking on the cooktop shows a big circle, only the very center of your pan is heated. Since you already have an electric stove, your current electrical set up is probably sufficient.

we moved in to our new home about 1 year ago. all appliances are electric except for furnace. they work fine but DW can't wait to get rid of the electric cooktop and replace it with an induction one. as stated before it heats up much faster, can be controlled better and more importantly cools off much faster. i definitely do not think it would be a minus. i think it would be a plus.

I think an induction cooktop doesn’t bring in new buyers but does discourage some. When you sell, if it’s a sellers market it won’t make a difference. If it’s a buyers market it may be a negative.
Definitely a consideration, but prices in my neighborhood have been rising pretty fast lately so I'm expecting a seller's market. Many people around here have taken note and are upgrading their homes to take advantage of it.

Induction is the shizzle. If I needed new, I'd look at it. Only question would be if I needed a new electric circuit. I have a propane cooktop and electric oven I will keep until one of us dies.

We love induction cooktop and are planning to replace our gas stove with it when we remodel our kitchen. I would say that induction cooktop is a huge plus for potential buyers, in a high-end housing area. It may sound snooty, but the more educated folks know what is induction cooktop. It may be lost on those who have never heard of it.

Reactions: jj
We got our first induction cooktop about 12 years ago. I was reluctant to move from gas. This was in an all-electric house (no gas) so I had no choice. We moved house again and chose induction. No question it is superior, both from the cooking aspect and way easier to keep clean.

After thoughtfully suggesting (nagging) my wife for a few years, I was finally able to get her to give up the gas range for an induction range. Part of the deal was that I buy her all new induction rated pots and pans. Now that we've had it for about a month, she finally admitted it might actually be better than her gas range. This is what really clinched the deal; Amazon.com It's a silicone mat that covers all the burners. You set the pots on top and cook with the mat in place. Almost no cleaning. And the mat changes color where the stove top is still hot. She put a different silicone mat, low in the oven, to catch anything and her new range stays clean all the time.

We put in a GE Monogram induction cooktop and separate oven as part of our 2018 kitchen remodel. It's great so far.

I'm not sure, but I think that DW needed to get new pans to work on the induction. At least that's what she told me.

Not my kind of music. But OK.

I am more Rush, Metallica, Black Sabbath, Zeppelin.............
Yeah I felt older when it became "Classic Rock". :angel:

Also progressive, like Rush (again) Yes, Genesis, umm...
Too many too mention. Dave Grohl is good. Zack, Jeff Beck............... Too many, but not enough. :LOL:

Get the range you want, you might or might not sell and potential buyers might or might not care. I know that if I otherwise liked the house and it had a conventional range, I'd buy the house without a second thought and swap it out for an induction range as soon as I moved in. At least, that's what I did when we bought this house.

ETA: My mom lived with a gas cooktop in her current house for a week before replacing it with induction like she had had at her previous house. She was lucky that her kitchen had been built with both electric and gas lines for cooking, so it was a simple install.

Apparently there is no problem, so thanks to everyone for the input. :flowers:

Not a cooktop but I have a portable induction cooktop at the condo and cabin. They heat up really fast, pull off a pot and they shut off, use outside and no flame to blow out. I seldom use the gas cooktop anymore.
Buy a portable one to try out first, they're pretty cheap.

Induction is fantastic. No hot spots, so nothing burns. Just full, even heat.

Our new-to-us home had a GE Monogram electric stove when we moved in, and I swore over that stove every time I used it- there were hot spots everywhere, and I kept burning our meals.

We now have a Jenn Aire induction stove and I loooove it. Even, consistent heat. And my husband appreciates I no longer sound like a sailor when I'm cooking. :LOL:

Another vote for induction. Even better than gas IMHO (having used gas, electric coil, electric smooth top, and induction). Since gas isn't even an option for your house, I can't imagine that induction would be a downside for resale.

If we needed to replace our current set up, it would be with an induction cook top. No extra heat generated and no NG fumes. Very good heat control & at full blast, it heats very very fast. I've used a friend's induction stove & loved it....
+1 Our new-to-us home circa 2007 had an electric elements cooktop. It's ok, but I'll replace it with an induction cooktop at some point. While we have gas and some of the homes that we looked at with electric cooktops has a gas stub-in in the cabinet under the cooktop unfortunately ours does not and I suspect it would be expensive to run the piping at this point.

If the house had induction when we bought it that would have been attactive to me. None of the many homes that we looked at had induction... all were either electric like ours or gas cooktops.

Back
Top Bottom