Here's a puzzler

With our chosen strategy of letting him address it himself

Just want to chime in that I am really impressed you are able to control the urge to micromanage this rather than impart the valuable life lesson to your son that he is ultimately in control of and responsible for his own destiny. It sounds likely that something good will be worked out anyway.

Not having raised children myself, I am no expert but I can say my parents were hands off and I believe this helped develop in me a sense of self reliance which has helped me greatly throughout life. Early-retirement.org is about as far as I go seeking assistance :greetings10:

I see so many of my colleagues micromanaging their children's lives. One of them regularly fields 6-7 calls from her teenage son during the schoolday to tell him how to handle everything. The other day, I heard her dispatching her nanny in an Uber to the school with a boxed lunch because he had forgotten his at home. I really don't think he's acquiring the skills to fend for himself.

Last edited:
I can appreciate this perspective, as my daughter has gone a similar route. However, home-schooled and alternative-schooled kids present that they are such. That is obviously not the case in OP's situation.

This is, I think, basically right. Despite what many have said in this thread many universities do not require a high school diploma. They often require that you have taken certain courses, but have graduated. It is not all that unusual for kids under 18 to enter college early without having graduated high school.

Another path which works even for the general population is to start CC without a high school diploma and then transfer to university based upon the high college work. DS (who had graduated high school) started CC at 16. When he transferred to the university they didn't even ask to see his high school transcript. They did want to see his CC transcript.

For those who don't graduate high school, getting a GED is an option. But it may not be the only option, depending on your state. The parents may be able to homeschool the child for the missing courses and issue a homeschool diploma. There are also correspondence type schools that can do this. For most purposes (not all), having a homeschool diploma or having a correspondence school diploma works fine.

We homeschooled our daughter for high school and the general recommendation was that a homeschool diploma looked better than for her to get a GED (which makes you look like a dropout which she wasn't). She attended CC a couple of years but never graduated. She tells people she graduated from high school and if asks says she was homeschooled. It hasn't been an issue for her. (We did have to do an official transcript to get her admitted to the CC when she was a senior in high school).

@Scratchy, thanks. It's an exercise in mind over emotion, as the urge to second guess our approach and rescue him is strong. But we've been on this path for long enough now that it is clear that to change course and rescue him would probably be more damaging to him. Fortunately, as noted previously, I've seen enough examples of people working through these sorts of things which helps a lot. With his other talents and abilities he'll figure it out and be fine regardless of how this specific part of his life turns out.

@katsmeow, thanks for the comments. You've pointed out another option, as Idaho is very flexible when it comes to homeschooling. I've added that to my list of contingencies if he doesn't pass.

PS:

DS19 graduated from high school today.

I did find somewhere in the bowels of his university's website that they expect him to send a HS transcript, but that's an easy thing to do now.

We'll find out in July if he earned the IB diploma or not. I'm optimistic.

He also scheduled his first semester of classes at college with his advisor.

PS:

I did find somewhere in the bowels of his university's website that they expect him to send a HS transcript, but that's an easy thing to do now.

:):):dance:

PS:

:clap: :dance: :clap: Congratulations!!!

PS:

Update, mostly to brag.

He earned the IB diploma in July, which earned him 15 credit hours towards his degree and is a nice feather in his cap.

Dropped him off this past week at his university.

They haven't asked yet for the HS transcript.

Nice. One more step forward on the trail to a successful life.

Update, mostly to brag.

He earned the IB diploma in July, which earned him 15 credit hours towards his degree and is a nice feather in his cap.

Dropped him off this past week at his university.

They haven't asked yet for the HS transcript.

Ok then, I guess he was just messing with you...:angel::angel::angel: Hope he thrives in college..

Well yeah, that's the first option we suggested to him. Repeatedly.

@ivinsfan, I just did and I found a page via Google that says he has to submit his final transcript. One never knows if the page is a zombie page though.

He has ADHD and has been learning how to manage his medication over the past several years. He also procrastinates and doesn't understand (yet) the wisdom of having a safety margin.

Good luck to your son staying in college if he is a procrastinator. The first couple of years of "bonehead courses" (like English) are large classes with very little hand holding.

Cheers!

Good luck to your son staying in college if he is a procrastinator. The first couple of years of "bonehead courses" (like English) are large classes with very little hand holding.

Cheers!

We'll see.

His father and paternal grandfather were both procrastinators at his age. His grandfather got an MD and retired at 55. His father got a BSCS and MBA and retired at 46.

His school is relatively small, so his largest classes will likely be about 20 students; not really large enough to hide from the professor IME.

He gets to skip freshman English, but not Calc I and Chem I, which should largely be review for him. Overall his freshman classes should be academically very easy for him.

It'll be interesting. We've set him up as well as we know how, and now it'll be up to him. He knows that. He also knows we're here for him if he needs help or advice.

Back
Top Bottom