Hey Nords You're Famous...

Rumor has it Spielberg is interested in doing the screenplay. Any truth to that, Nords? :cool:
I had hoped that we'd all quietly forgotten the high-energy shenanigans of those wild-eyed boys in "The Hunt for Red October"...

I don't think we'll hear from Michael Moore, either!

Hey Nords,
Nicely done. I sure would like to see you up on your board though. Perhaps the next time we go to Kata?

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Hey Nords,
Nicely done. I sure would like to see you up on your board though. Perhaps the next time we go to Kata?
Your Kata pictures were great... our kid has three years of high school left before we're empty-nesters. Spouse and I will figure this out somehow.

I noticed an unusually high number of goofy-footers there!

Hi Connie and Nords!

I wanted to weigh in on this too -- Excellent! Yahooza!

I thought Corey did a good job of selecting a variety of people with different styles of Financial Independence. Shows that there isn't 'just' one way of doing it.

Congratulations on decisions well made and for living a fulfilling life. (Photos were good too!)

Be well,

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Not sure what Goofy Footers are, but I did see a guy do a headstand on the board...twice!

You would love it there in Kata. This may be a pipe dream, but we are considering splitting operations and having two longterm locations here. We all had a great time.

Again congratulations on the article.

Billy
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Not sure what Goofy Footers are...
Left-handed surfer: right foot forward, leash on the left ankle, facing to port when riding. (It feels wrong just to write the description!) I surf with a goofy so we have to make sure that she's on my left (turning left) and I'm on her right (turning right) when we catch a party wave. Otherwise... well... good thing we have the safety fins.

... but I did see a guy do a headstand on the board...twice!
Showoff. He deserves the hair wax. But I'd be really impressed if he was hanging 10 fingers!

You would love it there in Kata. This may be a pipe dream, but we are considering splitting operations and having two longterm locations here. We all had a great time.
Man, it's on my list. I've seen Chiang Mai and it must take a lot to get you away from there...

Left-handed surfer: right foot forward, leash on the left ankle, facing to port when riding.

Oh cool! so I'm a goofy-footer !!

(It feels wrong just to write the description!) I surf with a goofy so we have to make sure that she's on my left (turning left) and I'm on her right (turning right) when we catch a party wave. Otherwise... well... good thing we have the safety fins.

Oh dang! not a good thing!

I'm right-handed. Does that make a difference? :confused: (I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)

Attachments

• 04Jun17-26 Hawaii 152 280x215 Crop.jpg
    04Jun17-26 Hawaii 152 280x215 Crop.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 147
Oh cool! so I'm a goofy-footer !!
Oh dang! not a good thing!
I'm right-handed. Does that make a difference? :confused: (I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)
Tomato, tomahto. I live with two left-handed women who both surf goofy-foot. There's nothing wrong with being a goofy-footer, it's just different. It only has that name because we righties got there first again.

I know right-handed people who surf goofy-footed. Whichever makes you more comfortable. Most people wear the leash on their back foot, but if you prefer to have it on your front foot then just wear a longer leash-- or (*gasp*) no leash at all. Not having a leash greatly improves your mobility and you'll have to lose the leash if you ever want to hang ten.*

I had a college roomate who golfed left-handed. I winced every time he swung a club because I just couldn't imagine my body parts twisting in that direction. But eventually I learned that it was a good thing to develop a left-handed swing and to have one left-handed club in my bag for certain awkward situations.

Same with surfers. You have the distinction of being able to surf frontside on left-breaking waves that I always surf backside. If you regularly surf a left break then you'll enjoy more waves than the frustrated backsiders who are looking for their rights.

But if you can switch then you can surf anything...

*If you're unleashed at crowded breaks, the other surfers would greatly appreciate it if you kept a hand or foot on your board at all times so that it didn't turn into an unguided missile. If you keep a firm grip then you won't have to swim all the way to the beach to recover it after a wipeout, either.

Nords:
Showoff. He deserves the hair wax. But I'd be really impressed if he was hanging 10 fingers!
Imagine that!! Personally, I thought it was rather skillful, but then I'm not a very good swimmer and I was running in and out of the surf if the waves got to be 'too big' -- fraidy cat! :eek:

Man, it's on my list. I've seen Chiang Mai and it must take a lot to get you away from there...

Kata is stunning. We didn't do much checking of Phuket Town... however there are big markets like Tesco and Big C if one wants to live there more full time. We just lived the simple life. Seaview hotel room, ate at the beach side restaurants, swam, read books, and had great conversations with friends.
Linney

(I seem to have the leash on the wrong foot too... talk about being mixed up. But look at that smile -- it was the first time I caught a wave on my own!)

You look GREAT Linney! I'm jealous! :D

Same with surfers. You have the distinction of being able to surf frontside on left-breaking waves that I always surf backside. If you regularly surf a left break then you'll enjoy more waves than the frustrated backsiders who are looking for their rights.

:confused: right side, left side, back side,... this has got my dyslexia going! which way is UP? ha!

Be well,
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Nords, it was a thrill to see you and Connie featured in the magazine--I couldn't wait to show my (younger) boss the article. Just a day before, my older boss (71) brought me a Barron's magazine with a title article of "100 Top Female Advisors" with an admonition that I should be working towards that goal. When I said didn't want to put that much time in, he said "but if you could make really big money, you'd do it, right?" I said "honestly, no." He scoffed.
Both magazines were side-by-side on my table when my younger boss sized them up and asked me "so, which one of those articles would YOU rather be in?" and of course, my answer was the FIRE article. He chuckled knowingly and agreed. Something I could never explain to the older boss.
Thanks to both of you for being such great role models--I'm pinning those pages up in my home office for inspiration, next to my thermometer graphs!

Nords, You should be proud of your accomplishments. However, I'll not be "pinning up" your photo for inspiration... :p

Maybe Linney's, though... >:D

Grats to you both! If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?
Corey Hajim posted here asking for volunteers. The Kaderlis had interviewed me a few months before so I pointed her to their website where Billy & Akaisha's work convinced her to send a couple freelance photographers an extra 2500 miles.

While she was checking me out, I was able to find enough of her articles to convince me that she knew what she was doing. When we read as many journalists on this board as we do, it doesn't take long to separate the skilled from the, uhm, not-so-skilled.

I'd already surrendered my anonymity before Corey posted. What originally led me to that decision was curiosity over why so many veterans pursue a second career after the military. I want to hear from more vets about what they're thinking (in my case it was "not much") and why they made their decisions.

Having a COLA pension and $460/year health insurance would help anyone (let alone active-duty retirees) to become ERs but it just doesn't seem to happen. In my case I never even considered that we'd be able to make it work until my father prompted me. But if spouse & I knew at age 21 what we knew at 41 then we would have been much better prepared with purposeful (not deployment-imposed) LBYM and maximized tax-deferred savings. I would've learned a lot more about asset allocation and low-cost index funds, too. Admittedly the 1982 literature was a little sparse but it was there.

So far the answers from most veterans & spouses are:
1. We didn't save any money, and/or
2. It never occurred to us to retire before age 65...

Of course the answers from this board's veterans are pretty much "Run, Forrest, run!!" One of the military couples on this board even managed to leave active duty for ER before they were eligible for pensions or cheap healthcare. Admittedly they could be accused of practicing "extreme ER" but if they can do it their way then the pension & healthcare can make it a slam-dunk.

An additional factor with Corey was that she really didn't want to talk about money or investing. Her focus was lifestyle. All the pension/salary info in my part of her article is publicly available on DoD websites.

I'm not sure that I'd be interested in having a financial magazine pore over our brokerage statements. Short of guys like Bernstein, Ferri, Burns, & Swedroe I haven't met many journalists who understand more than the rudiments of asset allocation & volatility risk. Trying to deal with the reasoning behind our pension & portfolio would blow the gaskets of the Money & Kiplinger's writers...

Nords, You should be proud of your accomplishments. However, I'll not be "pinning up" your photo for inspiration... Maybe Linney's, though...

So you aspire to be a girl on a surfboard? :confused:

>:D

(Connie and Nords -- I read both your articles online at CNNMoney.com. Great job! And I'd be interested to hearing your responses to the question that NinjaPigeon just posted....)

Thanks to both of you for being such great role models--I'm pinning those pages up in my home office for inspiration, next to my thermometer graphs!
Thanks!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you two end up being interviewed for the magazine? And what made you feel comfortable giving up your anonymity?
Corey Hajim posted here asking for volunteers. The Kaderlis had interviewed me a few months before so I pointed her to their website where Billy & Akaisha's work convinced her to send a couple freelance photographers an extra 2500 miles.

While she was checking me out, I was able to find enough of her articles to convince me that she knew what she was doing. She's not just a freelancer hoping for a hook. When we read as many journalists on this board as we do, it doesn't take long to separate the skilled from the, uhm, not-so-skilled.

I'd already surrendered my anonymity before Corey posted. What originally led me to that decision was curiosity over why so many veterans pursue a second career after the military. I want to hear from more vets about what they're thinking (in my case it was "not much") and why they made their decisions.

Having a COLA pension and $460/year health insurance would help anyone (let alone active-duty retirees) to become ERs but it just doesn't seem to happen. In my case I never even considered that we'd be able to make it work until my father prompted me. But if spouse & I knew at age 21 what we knew at 41 then we would have been much better prepared with purposeful (not deployment-imposed) LBYM and maximized tax-deferred savings. I would've learned a lot more about asset allocation and low-cost index funds, too. Admittedly the 1982 literature was a little sparse but it was there.

So far the answers from most veterans & spouses are:
1. We didn't save any money, and/or
2. It never occurred to us to retire before age 65...

Of course the answers from this board's veterans are pretty much "Run, Forrest, run!!" One of the military couples on this board even managed to leave active duty for ER before they were eligible for pensions or cheap healthcare. Admittedly they could be accused of practicing "extreme ER" but if they can do it their way then the pension & healthcare can make it a slam-dunk.

An additional factor with Corey was that she really didn't want to talk about money or investing. Her focus was lifestyle. All the pension/salary info in my part of her article is publicly available on DoD websites.

I'm not sure that I'd be interested in having a financial magazine pore over our brokerage statements. Short of guys like Bernstein, Ferri, Burns, & Swedroe I haven't met many journalists who understand more than the rudiments of asset allocation & volatility risk. Trying to deal with the reasoning behind our pension & portfolio would blow the gaskets of the Money & Kiplinger's writers...

Good article Nords :)
Going on the talk circuit anytime soon?
Hey, we already have the world's best audience right here on the board, and without jet lag or hotel food!

I've learned that I can write or talk but not both...

Was helping housemate clean out the magazine "pile" - and lo and behold, the issue that is the topic of this thread surfaced...addressed to a tenant of hers from several years ago! (yes, the magazine keeps coming, and since it is $$$ related, gets tossed in the basket. I was flipping through (since the cover mentioned early retirement success stories) and went. "wow - here is Nords, here is Connie!" - she was very impressed that I "knew" these folks! Thanks to the ER board for a few more heartfelt smiles and retirement discussion topics in real life :)

Hey Nords,

LOVED the article! I'm trying to convince my DH to grow his hair out long again when he retires next year. When we met in 1970, he had long hair. For the past 30 some years, he's been the squared away type. Thanks for being an inspiration to us all!

Back
Top Bottom