Hey Quicken users

Refresher

Recycles dryer sheets
You use your Visa to buy stuff at say Supermarket A.

A few days later you click the tools then one step update.
All the transactions made over those days appear with NEW on the left of them and a default category like Food and Dining-Groceries, which you can save to.
If you click the arrow next to the category you have the option to save under another previously used category maybe F&D.

Question: How do you make all transactions made at Supermarket A save to a previously used category F&D all the time so there is no need to click the arrow to change to this chosen category?

If I get that straight I may have a second question.

Thanks all

I believe you need to select the "permanent" category, then hit CTRL+M (memorize).

If the payee is in your Memorized Payee list, change the category there. (Tools -> Memorized Payee List)

Next time a transaction downloads from that payee, it will use the category from your Memorized Payee List.

Some supermarkets have a store number attached to their name when you download transactions, so each different location for that store will look like different payees to Quicken.

Excuse the CAPS

Also <EDIT> <PREFERENCES><REGISTER><DOWNLOAD TRANSACTIONS> check AUTOMATICALLY CATEGORIZE TRANSACTIONS.

Thanks, now after I get every merchant memorized to a category I want to get all the spending totaled when I sign on to Quicken.
If I sign on every 2 weeks or so I guess I will see all the new transactions defaulting to the memorized category.

Do I need to click tools-one step update and then save every entry?

Is there a way to just have the entries saved without hitting the save button for each transaction?

Hi - Can I "combine" categories in Quicken?

Over time, a few categories have gotten duplicated with the difference being a capital letter or abbreviated name.

Thanks for any comments.

By the way - Because of all the negative comments on the Internet about the Mac version, I'm testing the Windows version of Quicken on a Mac using CrossOver software (by Codeweavers). They were very helpful in helping me get it set up. It seems to work.

Hi - Can I "combine" categories in Quicken?

Over time, a few categories have gotten duplicated with the difference being a capital letter or abbreviated name.

Thanks for any comments.

Recategorize under the Tools menu if you want to just recategorize transactions from one category to another. You can also merge categories under Actions on the Categories List.

Back
Top Bottom