Hi, I'm weighing the 10% penalty

2)Several people I know have family members or aquantences who've died after only a short period of retirement.

I've always presumed that's a result of someone working until they physically can't anymore and don't know what to do with themselves when they retire. But I don't really have any solid evidence for that hypothesis.

I have seen work-injured people come back to reduced work duty much earlier than they had to (should have?) because they didn't know what to do with themselves at home or couldn't stand spending all day with the spouse. (Or perhaps the spouse couldn't stand the injured person sitting at home all day.)

In any case, it seems to me that the ability to successfully retire includes knowing what to do all day and if a life partner is involved, then buy-in or tolerance from said partner.

I AM gonna work....by choice....as the musician I've worked to become while sloggin the 9to5....and I'm gonna love it.
As another famous musician on this board has taught us, jazz is a career you have to save up for...

BigMoneyJim said:
In any case, it seems to me that the ability to successfully retire includes knowing what to do all day and if a life partner is involved, then buy-in or tolerance from said partner.

A co-worker was still working in his 70's to avoid having to spend all day each day working on "honey-do's". Or, so he said.... :)

"In any case, it seems to me that the ability to successfully retire includes knowing what to do all day and if a life partner is involved, then buy-in or tolerance from said partner."

Another blessing of mine.... I have a willing partner....and "mission".

I agree that a music career (with even the most modest control) requires preparation and an independent revenue source. I figure I'm a shoe-in for the Denny's/Jack-in-the-box circuit.....and I won't have to teach little urchins who's parents think they're virtuosos (like the teacher my parents hired).

Back
Top Bottom