Hiking Kicked my butt!

The hills up and down will get to some of your leg muscles that aren't used to it but the elevation will cause you to huff and puff. We now live at 4200' elevation so when we go to Flagstaff (6500') it's not as "breathtaking" as when we lived in Phoenix.

Fortunately, our daily walks involve a few hills to maintain the various leg muscles. Still, I wonder how well I'd do with some real 1000'+ gains like I used to do on Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mtn back in Phoenix. Of course there are plenty of great hikes nearby now but we haven't felt comfortable the last year hiking on narrow trails with hordes of unmasked tourists from all over.

The hills up and down will get to some of your leg muscles that aren't used to it but the elevation will cause you to huff and puff. We now live at 4200' elevation so when we go to Flagstaff (6500') it's not as "breathtaking" as when we lived in Phoenix.

Fortunately, our daily walks involve a few hills to maintain the various leg muscles. Still, I wonder how well I'd do with some real 1000'+ gains like I used to do on Piestewa Peak and Camelback Mtn back in Phoenix. Of course there are plenty of great hikes nearby now but we haven't felt comfortable the last year hiking on narrow trails with hordes of unmasked tourists from all over.

I miss Camelback and Piestewa ( but not the crowds)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.36.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.36.01 PM.jpg
    887.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.36.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 6.36.42 PM.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hiking is Tough!

Hey hiking is hard! Especially mountains. Lots of leg movement, if not on great trails your stride is various lengths avoiding rocks roots etc. And then the elevation change will wind you quickly. Plus most of us are not 30 anymore, it's a triple whammy.

But if you do it you get a training effect. Just have to go easy at first.

Stair climbers do help. I did a rim to river to rim at the Grand Canyon many years ago. I trained on a stair climber mainly and tolerated it well. Not sure it would be possible with my ankle now. But I still do stair climber. Or climbing stands at a HS football field.

Another idea is to ride a bike to get your cardio at a higher level. Good workout!

Plus the possibility of getting eaten by a bear, and carrying anti-bear equipment is strenuous. DW has the uncanny knack of attracting bears, and believe me it can be very scary. We have hiked over 20 years in various places in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, and California and I never know what to expect around the next turn in the trail.
While we experienced no wildlife encounters last year, DW hit a loose gravel patch on a trail and slid down the hill about 20 feet before she grabbed a scrub bush or she would still be falling. Scared the h3ll out of both of us, as we were making a normal descent on a trail, and we realized how dangerous things get in a split second.

Every Summer I sign up for a bike ride in the Sierra Nevada Mtns called Tour of the California Alp ... or more commonly the “Death Ride”. Five rated mountain passes of 8,000+, 125 miles and 15,000 ft of hill climbing.

Kicked my butt the first year then a buddy clued me in how to tame it. Ride at elevation a few times before the day to get a little acclimated and spend the night before at elevation. Also drink plenty of water, snack constantly and take aspirin before and during to kill the dull headache that you’re going to get.

Salty snacks ... like bacon wrapped pickles ... washed down with a regular Coke have powered me up mountains like nothing else.

What is that? An off road Segway?

Yes, it's a Segway X2. Pretty cool, but wouldn't really handle difficult hiking conditions. It would handle fire roads and well traveled paths, though. Just another cool invention I like to look at. Also looking at electric dirt bikes. I love the activity, but am not a big fan of the noise. Some day, maybe, I'll BTD.

Plus the possibility of getting eaten by a bear, and carrying anti-bear equipment is strenuous. DW has the uncanny knack of attracting bears, and believe me it can be very scary. We have hiked over 20 years in various places in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, and California and I never know what to expect around the next turn in the trail.
While we experienced no wildlife encounters last year, DW hit a loose gravel patch on a trail and slid down the hill about 20 feet before she grabbed a scrub bush or she would still be falling. Scared the h3ll out of both of us, as we were making a normal descent on a trail, and we realized how dangerous things get in a split second.

I just saw a video of a panther right at my favorite FL swamp hiking location. Interesting to see, but I definitely wouldn't want to run into it while out there. The deputy that got the video was parked right outside the parking area where the trail starts.

Deputy has encounter with rare and endangered Florida panther near CREW Bird Rookery Swamp

I just saw a video of a panther right at my favorite FL swamp hiking location. Interesting to see, but I definitely wouldn't want to run into it while out there. The deputy that got the video was parked right outside the parking area where the trail starts.

Deputy has encounter with rare and endangered Florida panther near CREW Bird Rookery Swamp
Here kitty kitty how cute. There was a big male in the yard behind us a couple years ago. It quickly turned around and took off into the canyon it came from. Our Shitzu growled at it.[emoji2958]

I've been told you'll never see them before they drop down on your head, neck and back.

You found out , like I did, that walking on level ground doesn’t help much. I found that I when I started. You have to find some hills to go up and down. some bike riding will help also, stay away from the lower gears and that will work your legs favorably.

DW and I are on the tail end of a 3 week hiking/biking vacation where we visited the national parks in Utah. Long hiking days were about 9 miles up/down the canyons
. Our longest biking day was 70 miles on a mostly flat river road.

In reading the thread, I think you got a lot of good advice.

We live at sea level and both of us had to adjust to the altitude. I do not know how to prepare for that beyond exposure. But, I do think somewhat aggressive fitness training is helpful. We both had some trouble adjusting. We are adjusted now.

We do full body workouts about 3/4 days per week. I like the fairly simple and fast 7 minute workout. DW prefers weights. I add a few minutes using them as well vs a second round of the 7 minute workout. I think weights are worth adding to a fitness program.

Our aerobic exercise are a combination of bike rides, typically not less than 20 miles as well as bike/walk vs driving as much as possible. DW walks our neighborhood with small hills when not biking. I play a sport. For this trip, we also prepared using our cross country ski machine after knocking off the spider webs.

DW has been using hiking poles for a few years. I added them for this trip. . And found them to be very helpful. They really helped at higher altitudes. They will be a tool for me from now on for most if not all hikes.

We have enjoyed active vacations for many years. Consequently, we have included a focused fitness program into our daily lives. For us, that seems to be the key. And while we are slowing down, we are happy that the effort we put in to remain active continues to help us do the things we enjoy.

I'm 72 now, with mild Parkinson's, so I am sympathetic with fatigue from strenuous hiking. But this post reminded me of a trip to the Canadian Rockies when I was about OP's age. One of our first hikes was up a fairly steep trail at pretty high elevation and it kicked our butts too. By the end of the trip the hikes had gotten much easier although still tough. Acclimation is important.

It was probably the altitude. That’s what got me many years ago, when I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof, when hiking the Chimborazo in Ecuador.

Or, was it the aguardiente my amigo and I were drinking?

This begs the question of what interesting stories you have to tell. Was it store bought or the moonshine variety? :)

One thing that I learned as I age is the while my body will still adapt and get stronger when I stress it a bit, it takes longer to get to where I want to he. And, if I go backwards (usually due to injury) it takes two to three time longer to get back to where I was. As a consequence I don't push to hard anymore since the consequences of an injury are big. I hurt a shoulder in early January. Noting serious, just a bit of soreness when I lifted something heavy. It is only this month that the shoulder is feeling normal again. In my 40's and 50's that would have healed within a month. Today it takes three months. :eek:

OTOH, I found a new four mile walking route near my home that includes several hundred feet of elevation gain and loss, one rather steep. My first trip two weeks ago took 90 minutes and I was rather sore the next day especially one knee. Two days ago I did the same walk in 70 minutes and no significant soreness the next day. The human body continues to amaze me.

Last edited:
Hiking poles were mentioned a few times. I want to add - poles have saved me from a couple of falls, especially when crossing a slippery surface.

Colorado Resident here.. all of the suggestions made are excellent. Hiking Poles (more for the trip down), Camelbak, etc. Hydrating overall is important while hiking in a semi-arid/arid climate. I will typically hydrate the day prior to a long hike - about 1L per 5 miles - in addition to my regular intake.

There is a significant difference between "being affected by the altitude" and "altitude sickness" or AMS.
Exercising at a greater altitude than one is use to, and being out of breath is "being affected by the altitude", this is completely normal as your body is adjusting to the oxygen level.

AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) comes from rapid ascent in elevation/altitude. Symptoms include headache, nausea, being out of breath. AMS doesn't care who you are or your current fitness level. It can affect anyone and does so in different ways. Hydration can help, as will Aspirin - it helps thin the blood. Taking one's time to gain elevation is the easiest way to avoid AMS. Traveling from 0' to 9000' (Florida to the ski slopes) in one day is begging for trouble. Take a day in Denver or Colorado Springs to break up the trip & acclimatize.

How to prepare for Hiking in Colorado..?? Well, we get out and just do it. There are plenty of lists to complete.. the 14ers, the centennials, the 13ers, on & on! I personally utilize the Incline several days a week: https://manitousprings.org/where-to-play/manitou-incline/ 2000' of gain in less than a mile, is a nice way to start your day!

For those who are coming to visit & want to have a fun time hiking some of the most gorgeous routes in Colorado.. I suggest what the others have mentioned: Stairclimber, Lower Body Exercises (squats, lunges, wall sits), HIIT.. Something a little more knee friendly would be a treadmill @ max grade (some go up to 30%) for 20 mins at 2 mph. Adding grade to a walk/run on a treadmill does amazing things for your legs/butt/back & heart.

Anyone who is interested in some light reading about Hiking Colorado's 14ers, I suggest: Halfway to Heaven: My White-knuckled--and Knuckleheaded--Quest for the Rocky Mountain High by Mark Obmascik

Most importantly.. Be Prepared & Have Fun!!!

Last edited:
This begs the question of what interesting stories you have to tell. Was it store bought or the moonshine variety? :)

Store bought. I was on a 2 week business trip to our plant in Guayaquil. My amigo, the plant manager, had a wedding to go to in Quito. We stayed overnight in Riobamba, where I helped another amigo set up his vacation condo in the mountains. Next day we drove his Jeep up Chimborazo as far as it’d go, then we hiked up as far as we could go. Once the air got too thin, we’d hike 10 steps and sit down to rest, and repeat. Sipping on aguardiente as we went. Apparently, it was for some reason per local custom. I can’t recall now. First time I had experienced altitude effects like that. I was in my 30’s then.

I do remember on that trip we had to stop at one place on a two lane road to let about a 20 ft. anaconda cross the road!

We were once on a small group birding tour that included Big Bend National Park. We lodged at Chisos Basin which is at 5000 feet. The highlight was a 10 mile day hike from 5000 to 7000 feet into Boot Canyon to see the Colima Warbler (only spot in the US) as well as other rarities. They guide had us doing other day trips for several days until we attempted that most strenuous one because he said we needed several days to acclimate to the higher altitude.

That hike was really something!!!

Last edited:
In order to get into shape for hiking you need to hike. Walking the neighborhood is no comparison.

We lived in a small city for over 10 years and never knew there was a wooded trail about 15 miles from our house. It was a moderate trail system where you could add up to 8 miles while mountain biking, hiking or trail running. Google "wooded trails near me." That's how I found this one. We even found better hiking trails a couple of hours away.

Yesterday we hiked 9 miles on an easy/moderate trail trying to get back into shape.

It takes time to build your legs and stamina but you notice an improvement with each hike.

Conditioning that safely strengthens the knees could help a lot.

Also, if one or both knees ever really starts hurting on a downhill, try walking downhill or even just taking the steeper steps sideways, if you can manage that safely. Looks a little strange, but that changes the angle of stress on the knee and might help. I tried this after realizing that ski turns, where much of the stress hits the knees when you're facing across the hill, didn't seem to bother my knees like walking downhill did.

I am an avid hiker but not a trail hiker but just hiking in general on National public lands. In general they are 4 to 8 miles for a hiking adventure but I stop a lot to smell the roses, so I never rush through a beautiful day hiking. It involves a lot of up and down and sideway walking. I never really prepare because I do it year around in weather conditions are okay.

A walking stick is a must, water and some survival tools in a small pack is my method.

Did anybody mention Alltrails.com??

I like that app to find trails. And it directed to the head of hiking trails. I like rough hiking than just level or paved.

After a few years of hiking, I have been thinking the paved street made people arthritis more since it would wear off the same spot in the joints. Haha, am I overthinking?

But I have a dog with joint issue too and background of nursing. Sometimes too much walking can be more disadvantage than advantage as exercise.

So balance yourself and enjoy hiking!

Colorado Resident here.. all of the suggestions made are excellent. Hiking Poles (more for the trip down), Camelbak, etc. Hydrating overall is important while hiking in a semi-arid/arid climate. I will typically hydrate the day prior to a long hike - about 1L per 5 miles - in addition to my regular intake.

There is a significant difference between "being affected by the altitude" and "altitude sickness" or AMS.
Exercising at a greater altitude than one is use to, and being out of breath is "being affected by the altitude", this is completely normal as your body is adjusting to the oxygen level.

AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) comes from rapid ascent in elevation/altitude. Symptoms include headache, nausea, being out of breath. AMS doesn't care who you are or your current fitness level. It can affect anyone and does so in different ways. Hydration can help, as will Aspirin - it helps thin the blood. Taking one's time to gain elevation is the easiest way to avoid AMS. Traveling from 0' to 9000' (Florida to the ski slopes) in one day is begging for trouble. Take a day in Denver or Colorado Springs to break up the trip & acclimatize.

How to prepare for Hiking in Colorado..?? Well, we get out and just do it. There are plenty of lists to complete.. the 14ers, the centennials, the 13ers, on & on! I personally utilize the Incline several days a week: https://manitousprings.org/where-to-play/manitou-incline/ 2000' of gain in less than a mile, is a nice way to start your day!

For those who are coming to visit & want to have a fun time hiking some of the most gorgeous routes in Colorado.. I suggest what the others have mentioned: Stairclimber, Lower Body Exercises (squats, lunges, wall sits), HIIT.. Something a little more knee friendly would be a treadmill @ max grade (some go up to 30%) for 20 mins at 2 mph. Adding grade to a walk/run on a treadmill does amazing things for your legs/butt/back & heart.

Anyone who is interested in some light reading about Hiking Colorado's 14ers, I suggest: Halfway to Heaven: My White-knuckled--and Knuckleheaded--Quest for the Rocky Mountain High by Mark Obmascik

Most importantly.. Be Prepared & Have Fun!!!

Neat!. One of my best buddies from high school lives in Manitou Springs and uses the incline all the time. He's been out there for years and also completed all the 14'ers.The first one with me in 1981(Longs peak) and the rest without me:(

AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness) comes from rapid ascent in elevation/altitude. Symptoms include headache, nausea, being out of breath. AMS doesn't care who you are or your current fitness level.

Very good point; thanks for the clarification.

A friend was hit with AMS while trying to summit Mt. Whitney, so he failed about 80% of the way to the top. Got some drug (I don't remember which one -- there are a few of them) to help and went back in a year or two and finally made it (a bucket list item for him).

In order to get into shape for hiking you need to hike. Walking the neighborhood is no comparison.

I agree up to a point.

Walking on sidewalks and flat well maintained paths is not like walking on a true hiking trail. Trails in the wild areas are bumpy. They twist and work legs from ankle to hip. They can be steep up and down. They have slippery spots where older people don't go anymore (That's many of us!)

But, neighborhood trails, have the advantage of being nearby. Have an extra hour this sunny afternoon? Walk the neighborhood trail. If I had to drive to the trail, most of my time would be taken up going back and forth. Even with neighborhood trails, bring your day pack. That will help to strengthen the muscles that support the back and shoulders.

On one of our Grand Canyon rafting trips, there was a guy who was always in the lead on our hikes up the cliffs, and far above any of us in aerobic fitness. Near the end of the trip, he celebrated his 70th birthday, and we were all just amazed. Turned out he lived in Phoenix and ran up Camelback mountain every morning.

I volunteer with a trail club, maintaining a section of the Appalachian Trail. Most of our members are retirees in their 60s and 70s and they are running around up there, hauling tools with them, often several miles into the forest. Because most of our area is designated wilderness, all the labor has to be done with hand tools. I swear it’s what keeps them all young.

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to meet Nimblewill Nomad on trail. He’d already hiked the Pinhoti Trail up from Alabama and was working his way toward Maine. He’s been doing a long trail hike every year for 20+ years. When he gets to Maine, he’ll be close to 83 and have over 20k miles under his belt. Quite inspiring.

Two suggestions (as a Houston flatlander who moved to Colorado): 1) Work on general cardiovascular fitness and leg strength, and 2) hydrate extensively before and during your visit (and consume alcohol in extreme moderation). I was a very avid mountain biker when we first moved, and it probably took me six months to fully acclimate to the altitude (6,000 - 8,000 feet where I hike and ride).

Back
Top Bottom