Home Theater Seating Rant

MichealKnight

Full time employment: Posting here.
Get your tickets here! Witness the ultimate in 1st world problems.

So my old home theater recliners, gone in basement flood. Insurance kicked in, rebuilt whole basement, paid contents, etc. So I've got some budget and want to buy seats - me and DW used them like crazy, and now kids are of age so it would be nice.

I CAN'T FIND SHOWROOMS TO ACTUALLY SIT AND LOOK. Geez I can't imagine buying this without trying. So then I am close to buying these pricey (imo) seats....but I hav serious reservations that Wifey is too short for these seats due to lumbar being too high on her back. They have many great reviews on YouTube, but then - there's people who say those are paid YouTubers. They take returns, WITH restock fee I dunno how much. BUT I have to be responsible for packing it all up in original boxes.....and haul them up the stairs. Tons of expense, not to mention - it would be months before getting new chairs.

ALL these seats have some glowing reviews, ALL these seats have terrible reviews. When I bought theater seats in 2003 - man it was nice. No online crap, I went to a store 20 mins from the house. Boom boom, never a problem.

Oh if anyone has theater recliners and you'd like to share the brand, I'd welcome that too :)

Just curious: How does a "theater recliner" differ from a civilian recliner? We've just been shopping double-recliner sofas and have seen tons with beverage holders. Not sure what else might matter.

There are some things that I won't buy unless I can go touch it/try it first. They include mattress, car, hot tub, and furniture. If there is no showroom, then no sale. I'm a bigger than average guy with some chronic pain, so it's not negotiable for me. Some things you might be able to see in a location other than a retailer... Good Luck!

We have not shopped for furniture for about 5 years, back then many of the retail furniture stores in our area were also selling home theater recliners (which in truth other than cup holders I did not understand the difference). Also some electronic stores like Best Buy also sell home theater furniture. Do you have either of those options near you?

Get your tickets here! Witness the ultimate in 1st world problems.

So my old home theater recliners, gone in basement flood. Insurance kicked in, rebuilt whole basement, paid contents, etc. So I've got some budget and want to buy seats - me and DW used them like crazy, and now kids are of age so it would be nice.

I CAN'T FIND SHOWROOMS TO ACTUALLY SIT AND LOOK. Geez I can't imagine buying this without trying. So then I am close to buying these pricey (imo) seats....but I hav serious reservations that Wifey is too short for these seats due to lumbar being too high on her back. They have many great reviews on YouTube, but then - there's people who say those are paid YouTubers. They take returns, WITH restock fee I dunno how much. BUT I have to be responsible for packing it all up in original boxes.....and haul them up the stairs. Tons of expense, not to mention - it would be months before getting new chairs.

ALL these seats have some glowing reviews, ALL these seats have terrible reviews. When I bought theater seats in 2003 - man it was nice. No online crap, I went to a store 20 mins from the house. Boom boom, never a problem.

Oh if anyone has theater recliners and you'd like to share the brand, I'd welcome that too :)

we just shopped for a new couch and recliner for my wife. we must've been in half-a-dozen furniture storesa. all of them had home theatre seats.

I don't get the fascination with cup holders in recliners. We're still using standard recliners with a small end table that easily holds the remotes, laptops, drinks, etc. And if a drink gets spilled it's easier to clean up the table.

I would hesitate too without trying, but even just sitting in a showroom sample may prove to give a false impression after you have lived with a piece of furniture for several years. We bought a good quality leather sectional sofa several years ago and the showroom sample felt comfortable, but now several years later, it's making me miserable with back pain.

I feel your pain. Same deal trying to buy an office chair and finally decided to just keep the old one. After ordering three, having them delivered to the house, unpacking, assembling, disassembling, repacking and returning them (without restocking fee) because no one had any in the showrooms, I just gave up.

On theater recliners, we have five in the theater room that we absolutely love. When we bought the house, I wrote them into the purchase contract so that the sellers had to leave them when they moved out. I'll try to turn one upside down tonight when I get home and see if I can find a manufacturer and/or model number. These are real black leather, not the fake leatherette stuff that delaminates in a few years, that's so common now.

Last edited:
I don't get the fascination with cup holders in recliners. We're still using standard recliners with a small end table that easily holds the remotes, laptops, drinks, etc. And if a drink gets spilled it's easier to clean up the table.

I lived a long time without cupholders in my car. So, I like cup holders in refiners - especially at the movies. YMMV

Yeah, talk about your 1st world problems, home theater seating is an epic example. I did a deep dive on these while fantasizing about a man cave basement remodel. Anyone comparing home theater to other types of furniture just doesn’t get it. If I was as concerned as OP, I guess I’d buy one chair to evaluate…set it up somewhere to make it easier to repack and return. Amazon has a wide selection and returns are accepted. My neighbor just settled on name brand budget seats from Sam’s Club. .

First World problems are the best problems. Mentioned elsewhere my Polish friend paying 7 X for coal (maybe more) this winter. Now that's a problem though YMMV.

My daughter and her husband have friends that have a theater room in their home. It's very neat, It has about 12 theater type seats and Large screen for the projection. He it practicing Jiu Jitsu and has many friends that enjoy MMA, so they often get together and watch.

On theater recliners, we have five in the theater room that we absolutely love. When we bought the house, I wrote them into the purchase contract so that the sellers had to leave them when they moved out. I'll try to turn one upside down tonight when I get home and see if I can find a manufacturer and/or model number. These are real black leather, not the fake leatherette stuff that delaminates in a few years, that's so common now.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42771&stc=1&d=1656169444

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42772&stc=1&d=1656169444

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    617.1 KB · Views: 36
First World problems are the best problems. Mentioned elsewhere my Polish friend paying 7 X for coal (maybe more) this winter. Now that's a problem though YMMV.

That’s definitely a problem as Poland is not a affluent country.

needs popcorn machine.....but otherwise it is suhweeett

Thx, Scrapr! Actually, the popcorn machine, built in refrigerator and microwave, wet bar and restroom are right on the other side of the wall in the "theater lobby", lol.

Thx, Scrapr! Actually, the popcorn machine, built in refrigerator and microwave, wet bar and restroom are right on the other side of the wall in the "theater lobby", lol.

Just after you pass the ticket booth.:LOL:

I can't imagine buying any type of seating or bedding without trying it out. Reviews are worthless as comfort is a personal matter. We bought new mattresses a couple of months ago and spent a fair amount of time in the store trying out the various options before making our decision. I don't know how people order a mattress online without ever lying on it.

I'm with you. No way I'm buying chairs without sitting in them first.

I can't imagine buying any type of seating or bedding without trying it out. Reviews are worthless as comfort is a personal matter. We bought new mattresses a couple of months ago and spent a fair amount of time in the store trying out the various options before making our decision. I don't know how people order a mattress online without ever lying on it.

I'm with you. No way I'm buying chairs without sitting in them first.

I've seen some mattress companies offer 90 day (or more) return. Not sure how that works. Some mattresses now come in a medium sized box. When you open it, the mattress expands to full (heh, heh, or queen or king) size. How do you return something like that?

In any case, you're point is well taken. I'd never buy a chair or mattress I couldn't try out. That might limit me on selection and price, but such things are critical to comfort. YMMV

Stay away, far away, from any Lazboy product. Over 800 complaints with BBB, business profile of parent company is blocked, over 3000 on two Facebook groups with a whole list of repeated issues. Issues are over basic construction, delivery time, delivery quality and warranty work (not done).

Just after you pass the ticket booth.:LOL:

Hey, one of my friends with a VERY nice home theater area (seats 12 with room for additional folks on the floor) has one he created from a discarded booth used at exhibitions/demonstrations. He will use it when his kids & grandkids go in and collect some form of "payment". For example, when son had a bunch of 20-something friends over to use the theater, their "payment" to get in was a can of food that he would collect and donate to the local food bank. He might even have one of those flat straw hats :LOL:.

Back
Top Bottom