Hotel charges "Resort Fee"

It is such a shame that places have to resort (excuse the pun) to this type of deception to sell to folks. Greed comes to mind.

people keep saying this is common. I travel quite a bit and have never seen it.

You wouldn't be likely to see it unless you're staying at the right kind of hotel in the right kind of location. Average hotels in average places are very unlikely to have this.

Similar to the exorbitant extra taxes and fees added to rental cars at airports where the majority of renters are either business travelers or tourists.

How about that stocked mini fridge that if you read the sign, you are charged a minute after you remove a thing from it. OK. Only saw this once, in Chicago, and I had started to remove their stuff to make room for mine. Then I saw the sign, and quickly put their stuff back in.

This was after I paid $50 to valet park. The valet guy suggested I could go down the street somewhere. It was downtown Chicago, raining, and I just paid the man.

I sell cattle for a living. I don't sell a steer for $1,300 at market and expect a 10% "Ribeye Fee" for the choice parts.

If you want people's business (money) tell them up front. I'll pay for what I get, just tell me up front and let me decide if its worth it first. And, don't stiff the little guy who did the work that they should have been paid for in the first place.

How about that stocked mini fridge that if you read the sign, you are charged a minute after you remove a thing from it. OK. Only saw this once, in Chicago, and I had started to remove their stuff to make room for mine. Then I saw the sign, and quickly put their stuff back in.
I've asked to have the minibar emptied to use for my own stuff and they've always accommodated me. Either that or they brought in an empty little fridge.

to be fair, these hotels and resorts do disclose the fees (ok might take an extra click for the details) when you book. ie, fine print, except it's not fine, it's just "in addition to..." the rate.

If you book and there's no mention, then it's not cool, but most of them will show you their fees if you click the "plus things" on the rate card page.

to be fair, these hotels and resorts do disclose the fees (ok might take an extra click for the details) when you book. ie, fine print, except it's not fine, it's just "in addition to..." the rate.

If you book and there's no mention, then it's not cool, but most of them will show you their fees if you click the "plus things" on the rate card page.
:LOL: Right, but the whole idea is to obscure the true cost to make it much harder to compare alternatives. If that wasn't the whole idea, the bottom line price would be posted front and center.

I'm used to "resort fees", usually a modest amount compared to room fee. Par for the course.

A resort fee of over twice the room fee is disturbing and I would go elsewhere. But yeah, it's there when you book, just gotta read the fine print.

:LOL: Right, but the whole idea is to obscure the true cost to make it much harder to compare alternatives. If that wasn't the whole idea, the bottom line price would be posted front and center.

Yep, the whole point is to be misleading in advertising.

Yep, the whole point is to be misleading in advertising.

And make their properties appear higher on the list of choices on travel web sites when sorted by "lowest price." Much like the airlines did with baggage fees.

Years ago I was shopping for a new car and when we sat down to talk numbers the dealer had included a "storage fee." Nope!

You wouldn't be likely to see it unless you're staying at the right kind of hotel in the right kind of location. Average hotels in average places are very unlikely to have this.
At the roadside motels, you're more likely to get billed $3/day for renting the little safe that's bolted down in the room, and things like that. Same game, different scale.

At the roadside motels, you're more likely to get billed $3/day for renting the little safe that's bolted down in the room, and things like that. Same game, different scale.

Or a deposit for the tv remote. We’ve run into that one in the past but thankfully stay at better hotels now.

We are batting above 50% in getting the resort fee removed when we make the booking.
Step one is to discover the fee in their list, before booking. More difficult if the hotel uses a booking service instead of their own people. Persevere.
Step two is deciding if you are willing to go someplace else if they stick with the fee. Remember that your next choice likely has a similar fee also.
Step three is to call to make the booking. When they tell you about the resort fee (you may have to ask), explain that you're not going to use those services and that you're willing to go someplace else if they stick with the charge.

Good luck to you!

I hate that "nickel and diming" of additional fees. I choose to stay elsewhere from then on. You may want to leave a review about these fees to help others making the decision whether to stay there or not.

OP here, when I got the hotel's email "rate us" I pointed out the hidden fee. They discounted it.

Or a deposit for the tv remote. We’ve run into that one in the past but thankfully stay at better hotels now.

I look for better places to avoid aircraft noise like Motel 6 next to the San Diego airport. Or Mesa AZ 6 where another guest told me he just got out of the hospital and did I want to drink some Vodka with him? Uh, no thanks. :rolleyes:

Probably Marriott next time, but at least the 6 does not have those bogus fees. :LOL:

We stayed at the New Yorker hotel in NYC a couple years ago and experienced the thrill of paying a fee for something we didn’t use.

They are real, and a great way to bait with a perceived low rate.

I don’t recall if we had it removed.

We don’t often stay in high end hotels and this will help justify our retirement travel trailer 😀

Last night we debated our own “dog sitter fee” of $40/day when we travel without DW’s dog. That’s a separate thread……..

A lot of times if you book a hotel with points they will not charge additional taxes and fees, including the resort fee! I recently did this with a Hyatt in Orlando.

One fee I was able to get removed one time was an airport surcharge when renting a car. If the car rental office is not within the airport grounds and you use the rental agency's shuttle bus, they tack on a surcharge (it was 10% for me). However, because I (and my mom) had arrived via corporate jet (part of the Corporate Angels Network for ill patients who have to fly to other cities for treatment), and they drove us to the rental agency's office, I told the agent and they waived the fee. It didn't matter that we used the shuttle bus after we returned the car because the bill was already done.

With all these "stealth" fees, I wonder if those who calculate the inflation rate include these as they are added and increased. It would be easy for the hospitality industry to say "No. We haven't increased our room rates!" YMMV

It's the norm in Vegas. Overall, it is dishonest, since it is tacked on afterwards on all rooms. It ought to be illegal.

Yep, drives me nuts because it’s not clearly disclosed upfront! They be forced to display real daily rate with all fees and taxes!

Does anybody think the major hotel chains would tolerate such hidden fees being added in at the last minute to the contracts they sign with their suppliers of goods and services?

Does anybody think the major hotel chains would tolerate such hidden fees being added in at the last minute to the contracts they sign with their suppliers of goods and services?

Heh, heh, I guess the major hotels know to ask the question up front. It "takes one to know one" comes to mind. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom