House slippers for Ankle Foot Orthosis wearers?

ohyes

Full time employment: Posting here.
DH's sister is in a nursing home and would like a pair of house shoes/slippers. She cautioned that they must work with her ankle brace.

I've Googled (quite a bit), but not finding anything that sounds like a perfect
match. SIL has no way of returning things that do not work.

DH and I thought someone on ER might have experience with this...

Appreciate it.

DH's sister is in a nursing home and would like a pair of house shoes/slippers. She cautioned that they must work with her ankle brace.

I've Googled (quite a bit), but not finding anything that sounds like a perfect
match. SIL has no way of returning things that do not work.

DH and I thought someone on ER might have experience with this...

Appreciate it.

Search for edema slippers. They're made for people with swollen feet/ankles. I'm assuming you're just looking for slippers that are wide enough, so those should work. They have Velcro straps.

the only thing I have to offer is I notice in rest homes, people that CAN have balance issues, and people WITH balance issues the ladies tend to wear slippers that are very secure on the foot, more like a ballet slipper with elastic all the way around and a thinner sole so they can feel the ground better and be more stable than on something puffy. Yes they will be more difficult to put on than a slipon.

If she is going to wear her brace in slippers. Don't buy slippers, buy a clog shoe instead. The firm sole helps support her movement while the brace supports her ankle. As long as the back part of the clog is fairly low and can cup the back of her brace. So not too deep - there are many out there. I wear one from Clark's.

It really depends on the type of brace and why she needs it.

I have an afo. The things I need are extra width and length support and a removable insole. My afo has a foot plate. A clog would not work for my afo/ disability.

I have had good luck with shoes from orthofeet.com though I do not have slippers. I did see a pair that might work for me

Perhaps there is a pt or ot that could review what you think you might buy The facility should have one

Thank you, each and every one...several things we never thought/knew of.

DH hopes to reach his sister's OT or PT therapist this week.

Back
Top Bottom