House sold…now what?!

If you are a buyer, you are out of luck. DW and I drove 150 miles each way today to see a house that looked really nice in the pictures. It was 3500 square feet, 4 bedroom, built in 2008 and the MLS stated immaculate. Asking price $525,000. Our realtor said this would be a multiple offer situation and the house should sell for well above list, so plan accordingly. I already went through that and its no fun.

Here is a picture I took of the inside of the oven. DW almost fainted when she saw that. This is indicative of the true condition of the house. Deck wood rotting, carpets worn out and covered with stains (the owners had small children), siding covered with algae and filthy, furnace full of dirt (operated without a filter). We just walked out. Sad thing is someone will pay over list for this house.

I have no idea how we are going to find a house. The previous one we looked at was in worse condition (it was in a 55+ community, was built in 2005 and listed for about the same price). At that place I discovered it was unoccupied for over a year. I accessed the attic (brought my step ladder, which made the realtor mad, she said I was not supposed to look in the attic, that I needed to hire a licensed home inspector. I replied, "If I can't see inside the attic, I won't make an offer." She let me look.) I found evidence of a squirrel infestation. There again, no filter used in the furnace and the AC condenser outside was completely plugged with mud. This house had many other problems too.

Attachments

• IMG_20210403_130352674.jpg
    IMG_20210403_130352674.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
What's wrong with the oven?

[...]Here is a picture I took of the inside of the oven. DW almost fainted when she saw that. This is indicative of the true condition of the house. Deck wood rotting, carpets worn out and covered with stains (the owners had small children), siding covered with algae and filthy, furnace full of dirt (operated without a filter). We just walked out.

Don't lose heart! You'll find the right house, one day. This just wasn't it. Keep looking; it's worth the effort and heartbreak if you are able to find and buy the beautiful, clean, and squirrel-free home you are dreaming of. It takes time.

Check online for "lowest housing costs in US 2021" or declining housing prices 2021. Also you tube has a number of videos on this topic. BUT, the high prices really do seem to be over most of the country.

Is this a worldwide phenomenon or just USA?

We sold our previous home, non-MLS listed, in January this year through a pocket listing. We bought our current home the same month, aka concurrent closing, also non-MLS listed. The prices had already gone up about 20% from the year before. Our realtor, one of the top 3 producers/realtors in our community, handled our sale and purchase. We lucked out because this same home would now cost another 20% over January price.

Our realtor got a potential buyer from California 3 days after we spoke with her in Oct 2020. I did the showing because realtor was out of town and got what we asked for. Our realtor contacted us late Nov on a potential listing of a house for sale, we saw it and paid asking price. We loved the house very much and knew we would need to spend more to fix the home. We have spent about $150K with bathroom remodels, new HVAC, firepit and pool stuff. Essentially, we should get back what we have paid into the remodel if we resell the home now. This is now our forever home which cannot be more perfect for us.

We sold our previous home, non-MLS listed, in January this year through a pocket listing. We bought our current home the same month, aka concurrent closing, also non-MLS listed. The prices had already gone up about 20% from the year before. Our realtor, one of the top 3 producers/realtors in our community, handled our sale and purchase. We lucked out because this same home would now cost another 20% over January price.

Our realtor got a potential buyer from California 3 days after we spoke with her in Oct 2020. I did the showing because realtor was out of town and got what we asked for. Our realtor contacted us late Nov on a potential listing of a house for sale, we saw it and paid asking price. We loved the house very much and knew we would need to spend more to fix the home. We have spent about $150K with bathroom remodels, new HVAC, firepit and pool stuff. Essentially, we should get back what we have paid into the remodel if we resell the home now. This is now our forever home which cannot be more perfect for us.

So pleased to read that you managed to find and purchase your forever home, despite the recent real estate craziness! Much happiness to you as you enjoy many years to come, living in this wonderful house. :)

Back
Top Bottom