How about some electrical help from you engineers

The outlets in one of our bathrooms are wire through the GFCI of the other bathroom. So if it is tripped in one, the outlets in the other are out. Luckily, I figured this out just before calling an electrician.

Last edited:
The outlets in one of our bathrooms are wire through the GFCI of the other bathroom. So if it is tripped in one, the outlets in the other are out. Luckily, I figured this out just before calling an electrician.
I had a new furnace installed yesterday. I was down there going over the finshed job with the installer and without thinking I flicked off the "light switch" inside the furnace room as we were stepping out. I instantly remembered that that switch doesn't just control the light (which also has a pull cord) it controls the power to the furnace. I learned that decades ago when the heat went out and I called a repair man who chuckled and flipped the switch back on to fix my problem. He had run into the same problem countless times.

More decades than I like to think about I was a service tech for domestic heating and refrigeration units. Many's the call that was solved by first checking "Is the unit getting power?"

Some groused at the service charge we had to charge for simply showing up and then flipping a breaker/changing a fuse, but most were more philosophical and said "Dang, I should have checked that first".

It's a variant of Sattlinger's law: It works better if you turn it on.

I had a new furnace installed yesterday. I was down there going over the finshed job with the installer and without thinking I flicked off the "light switch" inside the furnace room as we were stepping out. I instantly remembered that that switch doesn't just control the light (which also has a pull cord) it controls the power to the furnace. I learned that decades ago when the heat went out and I called a repair man who chuckled and flipped the switch back on to fix my problem. He had run into the same problem countless times.

The furnace should be on its own circuit, not shared with anything else. And it should have a switch mounted on/near the furnace that only turns power on/off to the furnace. And the switch really should be labeled so.

Do you think there's a chance you might get it corrected sometime in the decades to come? :D

The furnace should be on its own circuit, not shared with anything else. And it should have a switch mounted on/near the furnace that only turns power on/off to the furnace. And the switch really should be labeled so.

Do you think there's a chance you might get it corrected sometime in the decades to come? :D
Actually it is correct -- except for the label. I thought the light was on the same circuit but it isn't. The light works off its pull string. The only problem with the switch is where it is mounted: right where a light switch would be mounted inside the door of the furnace room. I put duck tape over it (easy to defeat) so I won't accidentally flip it again.

Actually it is correct -- except for the label. I thought the light was on the same circuit but it isn't. The light works off its pull string. The only problem with the switch is where it is mounted: right where a light switch would be mounted inside the door of the furnace room. I put duck tape over it (easy to defeat) so I won't accidentally flip it again.

Around here the furnace switch is usually mounted about 5-6' high so it isn't confused with a light switch. Can you move it up or is it on a finished wall?

Around here the furnace switch is usually mounted about 5-6' high so it isn't confused with a light switch. Can you move it up or is it on a finished wall?
It is inside a small room in my basement that houses only the furnace and hot water heater so I am not worried about it.

Actually it is correct -- except for the label. I thought the light was on the same circuit but it isn't.

I put duck tape over it (easy to defeat) so I won't accidentally flip it again.

It is inside a small room in my basement that houses only the furnace and hot water heater so I am not worried about it.

In this case, I think duct tape over the switch is the PERFECT answer. No need to make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

I'd probably also add a note, but that's it. Use duct tape to hold the note ;)

For ~ $1, you can get a little thing that fits over the switch to avoid accidental switching, but flips out of the way when you want. That would be a bit classier, and not break the LBYM budget :LOL:

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom