How are you like/not like your father?

I look so much like my Dad it's scary! I look like his mother in her younger years. He and I are very similar in our dealing with finances. Conservative, careful and keep it simple. I learned loyalty and personal integrity from him.

He grew up during the Depression and his Dad left them and never supported the family. They were on welfare (or whatever it was at the time) and from that he learned that he never wanted to be in that position ever, again.

I'm like him in that I like frugality and efficiency. Don't waste my time or money.

We both need our autonomy and independence. He needed my help as he recovers from a broken hip but as soon as he recovered enough he wanted us out of his personal business.

His motto is "Plan your work and work your plan." Sounds good to me.

Our main difference is that he's a real people person and I'm not at all. He was a successful roofing salesman and had a big social circle in his prime years. I'm an introvert and would never make it in sales!

Last edited:
I look exactly like my father and act exactly like my mother except I got a sense of humor from my dad. My little brother looks like my mother and is a carbon copy of my father in terms of personality. My littler sister is my mother all over again. My sister and mother cannot tell/get a joke to save their lives.

Mike D.

He sounds like a wonderful father, Johnnie. My dad's dad was always disappointed that my dad didn't become a lawyer like he was. In fact, even after my dad was very successful as an artist, his dad would still encourage him to get a "real job."

My dad was especially proud of my brother's daughter because she became an artist. Possessed all his artistic skills, graduated college with a degree in art and in fact started an art and design studio in her home state of Ohio. The business is doing well and she has two artist on the books along with herself as President of the company. My dad would have been so proud of her.

Like:
same temperament, although that is not always a good thing.
same relationship with money.

Unlike:
I do not care as much for social conformity.
I take more risks.

What my father taught me?

Not to follow in his footsteps.
Not to put my own needs/desires above my family.
Not to use his wife's income to meet his needs (be it airplanes, boats, cars, businesses, girlfriends/whores, and any such things), along with using his childern (as chattel) to work in his various businesses long hours at no pay to help him achieve his dreams (and damned their own).

I'm a better man, husband, and (hopefully) father than he professed, or could ever be.

Yes, he's been gone many years, but the hate of his actions are still there...

Heck, I'm not seeking any sympathy, but asked the question. Not all life stories are made up of goodness and honey...

Add in beating your kids and your father is a lot like mine....

I do have his genes and can get angry at the wife and kids easier than I would like.... but only yell... and then get away from the situation until I am cooled down...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom