How can I invest in emerging market?

sripunp

Dryer sheet wannabe
I did a search in this forum and nothing came up. I would like to know how to purchase stock in an international market such as Vietnam or Myanmar?

I'm not talking about V---X

Last edited:
Probably the most accessible way is to use an exchange-traded fund (ETF). There are many EM and single country ETFs. (Full disclosure: I own DGS.)

Another way would be to have an account at Interactive Brokers, but check with them and see if they can do trades on foreign exchanges. I believe they can.

Does Myanmar still only have one single company that has publicly traded stock? :) Nope, there are now 3 companies listed.

Last edited:
If you do not want to buy an international or single country ETF, call your broker to see what you can buy for individual foreign companies.

A lot of online discount US based brokers only provide access to high volume markets like the NYSE, Euronext etc ..

You'll probably need a more high-end broker if you want to buy specific stocks in the more exotic emerging markets. A large international bank may be able to hook you up, Goldman Sachs for sure.

Some emerging market companies have multiple listings though, some bigger Chinese stocks for example, or Korean companies like Samsung.

You could also go directly to a broker based in the country you want to target, this article can help you a bit: How to Invest in Vietnam's Stock Market - Investment Frontier

thank you all for reply. I dont have a fancy broker and i'm new to this. i'm currently using vanguard.

Vanguard is fancy enough because one can buy ETFs with a Vanguard account.

At no sales charge either :D
That's only for Vanguard ETFs. ETFs from other sponsors (iShares, WisdomTree, Schwab, Fidelity, etc) will not be commission free.

Back
Top Bottom