How did you quit smoking?

I'm not a smoker but I have heard several people say that by using cigars they were able to phase out cigarettes, and that the cigars were much easier to give up afterward.

Sent from somewhere in the world with whatever device I can get my hands on.

I quit cigarettes in 2002, after taking my newly adopted 13 month old daughter for a walk, and realizing she was looking up at me. However, I still smoked the "occasional" cigar, especially when I played golf. Over the years, the "occasional" built up to 2-4 cigars per day, even when I didn't play golf. I stunk. Checked into the hospital two weeks ago with severe pain from a kidney stone. Spent five days on painkillers in a hospital bed before passing the stone a few hours before scheduled surgery, and haven't had a cigar now in 9 more days since I've been home from the hospital.
Maybe cigars are easier than cigs to quit, but it's still a big temptation to go light one up. My fear is, that I'll be back to as often as I can if I do.
Thanks for posting this timely, for me, topic.

I smoked my last cig December 7th last year....was not planning on quitting at all. I got really sick and for a week it was just awful...all the coughing, fever, and burning in my chest. I remember lying in bed thinking that if I did not stop, my DH would have to take care of me as I died of emphysema, lung cancer, or something else. He watched his father die of emphysema and I cannot do that to him. Plus what was the point of saving this money if I was going to die before him ;) So it's been 5 months and change now and I still have cravings and I still feel like going and buying a pack...but it is ok and the craving will pass. I second the exercising part...it does help a lot and I feel so much stronger and healthier now :)

Mega corp bought a membership to QuitNet and charged an extra $50 a month for health insurance if you smoked and didn't join. They also supplied patches, lozenges or gum. I chose the gum option. 19 months later I still get monthly congratulations from QuitNet.
Most important for me is to remember how easy relapse can be. Last quit was 6 months and one cigarette let to a pack a day in less than a week. The time before that was 4 years quit and a cigar at a bachelor party ended that run.
This time its forever, at least today.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Back
Top Bottom