How do People Tolerate Flying?

Don't get swept overboard.

Last week, read about a woman falling off a cruise ship, and threading water for 10 hours before being rescued.

Just today, similar story about a man swimming for 7 hours.

How the heck did that happen? And how lucky they were to be noticed when falling, and then found bobbing in the ocean?

One the reasons DW and I have been hesitant to book our first cruise :). Then again, we are not drinkers so maybe that will keep us from this fate...

You would have to deliberately climb over the deck rail, or your cabin's balcony, to go into the water on the only cruise ship we have been on.

Our package included (not by our choice) a drinks package with an upper limit of 15 drinks per day - per person! So presumably the ships are designed with that in mind :LOL: (So were the cocktails - more sugar water than alcohol, I'm afraid).

One the reasons DW and I have been hesitant to book our first cruise :). Then again, we are not drinkers so maybe that will keep us from this fate...

Our package included (not by our choice) a drinks package with an upper limit of 15 drinks per day - per person! So presumably the ships are designed with that in mind :LOL: (So were the cocktails - more sugar water than alcohol, I'm afraid).

Wow- I don't think I could drink that much if I tried- even if they were liberally laced with sugar water. Drinks packages are definitely priced for the Party-Till-U-Puke crowd.

Never cared much for flying (mostly ear pain issues). I've done a number of trips the last couple of years where I will rent a car (dropping car at or near destination) and taking Amtrak back. I can combine the adventure of a road trip with the ease of letting someone else drive on the way back.

Wow- I don't think I could drink that much if I tried- even if they were liberally laced with sugar water. Drinks packages are definitely priced for the Party-Till-U-Puke crowd.

We've sailed a number of times on CDF/Pullmantur where certain drinks are included, and have often/regularly had a cold can of Mexican beer at dinnertime....and, gasp, if we've been ashore on a particularly hot day, perhaps one upon our return.

15 a day? I'd be comatose after day one. (OK, OK, most people figure I'm comatose without the drink(s).)

We had free drinks on our last cruise, and I took only 2 per day. A glass of wine for dinner, and a gin tonic for the evening show.

It is not easy to fall off the ship, unless one tries. But I was thinking of Nemo2 taking a selfie outside during a storm like this.

Inside the ship, it looks like this.

Flying is a pain in the butt, but it beats the alternative at times. From SFO to DEN you're trading 3 hours of discomfort for 3 days of driving.
I fly very little these days as I like to travel with the dog. Just drove California to New York last week and I'm still exhausted. I "might" be getting to old for solo cross country drives. Once the dog passes I'll be flying for my California visits.
Amtrak would be a great way to travel if they could run on time.
I like the Zepplin option, but TSA would probably still insist on molesting me on boarding.

It is not easy to fall off the ship, unless one tries. But I was thinking of Nemo2 taking a selfie outside during a storm like this.

Unless they're unforeseen rogue waves, the ships usually change course to avoid really inclement weather.....on one trip we bypassed the Faroes because of conditions.......still hit by 35-40 foot waves.

Nowadays outside access is restricted/denied at practically the first sign of a white cap. (Sissies. :LOL: )

Then I got a pop-up message advising me that if I wanted to bring a bag to put in the overhead bin, there would be an add'l fee. So it appears we've gone from add'l charges for checked bags to add'l charges for carry-on bags.

There can also be an extra charge for sitting together with your spouse. I found that out on our last trip. Lena and I weren't seated together, and my cynical mind decided that United intentionally seated us apart so that we'd spend money to sit together (which we didn't do).

IOW, it's an extortion racket, like the mob: "It would be a shame if youse and your wife couldn't sit togetha. For a small fee, we can make sure that youse two ain't separated."

There can also be an extra charge for sitting together with your spouse. I found that out on our last trip. Lena and I weren't seated together, and my cynical mind decided that United intentionally seated us apart so that we'd spend money to sit together (which we didn't do).

IOW, it's an extortion racket, like the mob: "It would be a shame if youse and your wife couldn't sit togetha. For a small fee, we can make sure that youse two ain't separated."

Or you can look at it as a $20-$50 discount for not sitting together and not using the overhead bin.

I think you just ran into the new “basic economy” experience.

Or you can look at it as a $20-$50 discount for not sitting together and not using the overhead bin.

I think you just ran into the new “basic economy” experience.

We long ago decided that, since we both attempt to zone out as soon as we're on the plane, that we'll sit where we can, when we can, if the price is right.

When I book our plane tickets I choose 2 seats together and never had to pay to sit together. Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.

When I book our plane tickets I choose 2 seats together and never had to pay to sit together. Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.

Well most major airlines now offer a basic economy where you and choose your seats, and you may only carry on a single bag to fit under the seat in front of you. There is some varation. This is a relatively new phenomenon.

...Paying to take a carry on bag is ridiculous.

Only if you paid a full normal fare. Some of the ultra-low-cost airlines like WOW offer an incredible price if all you bring is yourself and a small bag that will fit under the seat in front of you. Of course you can take a carry-on or a checked bag, but you pay for that additional weight. And often the fare including these bag fees is still cheaper than, or at least competitive with, the big name airlines.

I like the choice and apparently Millennials do as well. Why should a person with a small backpack share in the cost of other people's huge bags? Weight=fuel consumption. I think this is the way it will be in the future. You buy a seat. Then you pay for your "cargo."

DD flew to London this summer on WOW. She paid the carry-on fee but not the fee to choose a specific seat since she was flying by herself. The fare was $900 compared to $1600 on BA.

Last edited:
I like the choice and apparently Millennials do as well. Why should a person with a small backpack share in the cost of other people's huge bags. "

This comment would fit nicely in the current ACA subsidy thread.
:cool:

This comment would fit nicely in the current ACA subsidy thread.
:cool:

And sometimes 'Their Huge Bags' spill over into the seat I'm in..... The seats are small enough now, there should be weight restrictions. Especially in Coach..... Over the limit, need to buy 2 seats.

I love flying, even if he plane is on the small side. Many places that we go they even bring out the rental car so we can load or unload next to the plane.

Attachments

• CCC18FC5-DB67-4B3D-A70F-C42570A6B5E3.jpg
    CCC18FC5-DB67-4B3D-A70F-C42570A6B5E3.jpg
    806.6 KB · Views: 31
How do People Tolerate Flying ?

Lately, through the use of any/all of:
- business class pods and lounges
- dramamine
- ear plugs
- several stiff drinks

And sometimes 'Their Huge Bags' spill over into the seat I'm in..... The seats are small enough now, there should be weight restrictions. Especially in Coach..... Over the limit, need to buy 2 seats.

Bingo! I'm waiting for the size wise contraptions for ass dimensions (like the ones to check your bag at boarding) . If your bag is to big, you pay and it goes in the cargo hold. Ass too big? Buy another ticket. No seats? Next flight, pal (or palette). Otherwise, not much of an opinion on the matter... :LOL:

When I went to the air force museum a few weeks ago they had a gate you had to go thru before you could go on the plane. I’ve flown commercial where many would not have fit thru that gate.

And it is going to get worse.

Fifteen years ago, I thought European people were all slim and fit. Now, they are still trimmer than Americans, but but but they are bigger than they used to be, particularly the women. What have they done? Drink and eat more like Americans?

I have not traveled to the Orient to see if the same trend happens there. Even if it does, they used to be skinny so have some room to grow to catch up.

Bleak....

Fifteen years ago, I thought European people were all slim and fit. Now, they are still trimmer than Americans, but but but they are bigger than they used to be, particularly the women. What have they done? Drink and eat more like Americans?

I have not traveled to the Orient to see if the same trend happens there. Even if it does, they used to be skinny so have some room to grow to catch up.

Bleak....

It may be caused in part by the proliferation of Walmarts. :D

Well most major airlines now offer a basic economy where you and choose your seats, and you may only carry on a single bag to fit under the seat in front of you. There is some varation. This is a relatively new phenomenon.
I can only hope some airline tells DW, the panic attack prone person, we have to pay extra to sit together. I'd love to see her claw apart someone else's arms for a change. [emoji12]

Bleak....

Oh, they're catching up. Spent time in Korea, Japan, Guam in the 90's. Went back in 2017. A portion of the population are supersized (along with the diabetes, high blood pressure, joint issues that come from obesity). Elders blame it on US fast food joints. And....Fast food in Asia just sucks. Go local.

Back
Top Bottom