how do you deal with this high humidity in the south?

Mark2024

Recycles dryer sheets
visiting north GA and went out this morning doing my long slow run. It was like running in the sauna- extremely humid. I do not mind the temperature but the humidity makes hard to sweat - extremely uncomfortable.

How many days in a year you have this type of humidity? Will it be better in the afternoon or evening?

Stay indoors, AC on ~72. Works for me.

I live in Tennessee. The humidity is no better AM or PM. Either way, you will continue to sweat for an hour or two after the run! It is obviously cooler in the morning, so that helps. In W Tennessee, the humidity doesn't really kick up until (late) June or July and lasts until September. I lived in Arizona for many years and in my younger days was a half-thon, marathon runner. There, three hour runs and your shirt would remain pretty much dry!

...went out this morning doing my long slow run...
Ahhh.... see there was your first mistake. I've spent some quality time in this climate. You gotta stay inside with AC on high. If you go outside move real slow. Talk reeeaal slow. Don't exert yourself unless absolutely necessary. Don't be runnin unless somethin real dangerous is runnin after you.

How many days in a year you have this type of humidity? Will it be better in the afternoon or evening?

August is the absolute worst. No, it will not be better later.

Last edited:
Ran 5 this morning in Houston with my running group. It was brutal.

How I deal with it... get up before the sun, run much slower than normal (1 minute to 1.5 minutes slower pace/mile), carry water and plans route so I can stop to refill water.

Why I deal with it... because I can run in shorts in December, January and February.

All relative.
We still play Pickleball from 8am to 11 or 12 instead of 1pm. If one loves the sport, they just deal with the humidity, although we do talk about it.
Central FLA has 7 months of summer, including 3-4 months of high humidity.

I recently read an article about at what temperature/humidity can a human not survive. Their answer was at 95 degrees with 100% humidity a human will die in 6 or 7 hours, no running required. In 100% humidity the body still sweats, but there is no evaporative cooling. The 95 degree air is hot enough that it isn't contributing to body cooling either. As time passes, internal temps rise and eventually organs begin to succumb to it and shut down.
The point of the above should be to keep in mind that really high humidity with high temperatures impairs your body's ability to cool itself.

I don't find the humidity to be the issue, until it's combined with high heat. You acclimate after a few years, at least I did.

Even in the winter, low humidity means 50 percent.

Ran 3 this morning. 100% humidity. Don't live in the south, but in an area with lakes that keeps the humidity up. Glasses fogged up and I couldn't see where I was going.

Can't do much about it, but I do run a little slower in high heat and/or humidity. Humidity goes down during the day, but temp goes up. So I have to deal with either high humidity or high temps this time of year regardless of when I go out there.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.20.23 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 11.20.23 AM.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
I'm in the Tampa area, been here 8 years (originally from Chicago area). I've just resigned myself to the weather, I can deal more with heat [emoji274] than the cold that I had in Chicago. [emoji3063]. Never had to shovel or salt the walks and driveway due to sun. [emoji39]. And it can get hotter and more humid in Chicago, just not as long.

It was 85 this morning with 76% humidity and I did a couple hours at the pickleball court. Or I play at night, still near 90 and humidity. Just gives ya a good sweat. [emoji39]

The earlier the better. The heat index is almost always higher later in the day. Running on shaded streets or paths help, but it's better to stay off concrete and asphalt as they hold more heat. Slow your pace, and drink something with electrolytes, not just plain water if you are going to be out more than an hour.

Air conditioning (set to whatever temperature is pleasant), dress lightly for the heat, several cool showers each day, lazy and sedentary.

If you absolutely HAVE to exercise or go bat-$h!t crazy, well, at least use your common sense and do it in a well air conditioned gym.

Remember that the humidity will do wonders for your skin! I love it. No chapped, bleeding lips and face, no need to spend a fortune on chapstick or moisturizing creams and lotions.

visiting north GA and went out this morning doing my long slow run. It was like running in the sauna- extremely humid. I do not mind the temperature but the humidity makes hard to sweat - extremely uncomfortable.

30 years in New Orleans. Takes a while. How long :confused: depends on the person. Grew up in the PAC NW. I was shocked summers when people 'left' their house in 'Da City' with A/C and went to 'The Camp' with shorts and Tee shirt.

Toward the end - used to wear a sweater to work - office A/C was too cold. Actually tolerated 'sweaty' . Not like but tolerate.

Heh heh heh - Now I like 4 season climate. :facepalm: :cool: ;)

Welcome to the southeast. In many ways, this is our peak of "winter."

I manage it by doing work early in the morning. I change shirts during my work. Always carry an extra shirt!

I like mid July through Mid Aug for one thing: 100% cold shower. Since our ground water gets pretty warm, I cool off after gardening by taking a cold shower. As the nights get longer, our mornings will cool and the ground will too. In about 2 weeks, I won't be able to do this anymore, and I know that summer is on its way out.

I have been in the Atlanta area for 32 years now moving from the midwest. For many years I used to run 5 miles a day, 5 days a week, thus my user name. Knee problem two years ago sidelined me but just starting to work back into it.

I utilize a treadmill for July - August and for days with inclement weather. Not a fan of running in ice, snow or rain. I have run the Peachtree Road Race 10K many years which takes place on the 4th of July. Some years the PTRR is brutal with heat and humidity. I have two air conditioning zones in my home with two separate units so if one fails, we can survive. Been known to happen. On the other hand, Spring and Fall are wonderful in Atlanta.

Lived in the N. Georgia/Chattanooga, Tn. area for the last seventeen years. From about mid July to mid Sept. you will have a few day periods when the heat and humidity get pretty miserable. If you're outside, you just deal with it. I play golf in the stuff all the time and believe it or not you can get acclimated to it. Going in and out of AC during the day makes it seem much worse than what it actually is. Also hydrating is critical as is sweating and peeing. If you are into serious workouts, not a bad idea to belong or get a day pass to a gym or fitness center this time of year.

Last edited:
Survive Dallas by not moving to Houston... We run an additional dehumidifier for indoor comfort. This time of summer is less humid here once you get 10 days of 100+ deg weather. We're up to 30+days over 100 so far & 23 days with no rain.

We walk the dog 7-8 & after 8pm (shorter)... I work 1 hour outside then take a 2 hour break.

Hard to sweat? I actually sweat more in high humidity. I use AC inside and just endure it outside, and I'll go biking later in the day when it's more tolerable. It's more about the heat plus humidity to me. After summer is over, it's not an issue, but I like summer.

I don't find the humidity to be the issue, until it's combined with high heat. You acclimate after a few years, at least I did.

Us neither, we do not sweat the small stuff. Pun intended.

I can't add too much to what has already been said. This is the peak time of the year here in Atlanta for humidity. We do get brief breaks from time to time. But mostly for July - August, I get out mornings and evenings and do indoor stuff in the middle of the day. Another great thing to do is change your exercise regime. I am fortunate to live in a condo with a huge pool. I swim laps in summer. Usually I go out there between 7 and 8 PM. It is a beautiful time of evening and there is typically no one else using the pool at that time. Unless it is really hot, I feel cool when I get out and dry off. Many people around here still run and play pickle ball, etc, but the swimming along with long morning walks works for me.

I remember reading that it takes the body a minimum of 6 weeks to adapt to climate changes. So people who visit a humid area for a few weeks never have the chance to adapt. I guess we just keep on keeping on.

The Navy, where I spent a career, liked to assign me to humid locales - DC, Tidewater VA, Florida Panhandle. Back then I ran regularly and somehow put up with it. Now, well into my 70s and a recovered runner, I work out regularly in my basement which ranges 68-72 on the hottest (New England) summer days. I keep the humidity at 47% so it’s also pretty dry. Much better than running in southern heat/humidity. It would probably kill me to run at mid-day in Pensacola now.

I remember reading that it takes the body a minimum of 6 weeks to adapt to climate changes. So people who visit a humid area for a few weeks never have the chance to adapt. I guess we just keep on keeping on.

It took me about 4 this summer. It is surprising how much you get used to it. I remember the same living up north and acclimating to cold weather.

Suck it up and stop if showing signs of heat stress. Run early if I can. I'll take N GA over Tampa Bay this year.

From a local meteorologist's FB post yesterday: "For those saying this Summer's heat is "normal", I'll throw this out there. These EHW's (Excessive Heat Warnings) have been issued from the NWS since 2001. (Heat index values of 115° or higher). To date, there have been only TWO issued for our area since 2001. The first, a few days ago, and the second, today. 2 in 22 years. The water temp in the Bay is 97°. The water temp at Clearwater is 95°. I've been here 35 years....never seen anything like it. Stay safe out there. Waiting (im)patiently for our 1st cold front!"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom