How Easy to Sell One Thing on eBay?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought this for $395 for charging the Leaf:

t3aYZHH.png

I no longer need it, because I can plug the Tesla directly into the 240V socket.

If I wanted to sell it on eBay is it quick and easy? Do you recommend that?

As REWhoo said, I would try a dedicated user group or Craigslist first. I've sold several things on Ebay and wouldn't call it easy. You have to setup an account if you don't already have one, then create your ad, upload photos, set prices. Assuming it sells, you'll lose a percentage to Ebay for selling it. I don't even bother for items under $40 or so, it just isn't worth the trouble to me.

That said, I've sold several things on Ebay I couldn't get rid of anywhere else. I usually focus on the "Buy Now" option, as the whole week long bidding thing annoys me. Most of my sales have been through Buy Now anyway.

Presuming you have an eBay buyer's account and PayPal, I'd say it's worth it. Even if you have to set-up accounts, it's not that difficult, and it's a one-time thing. Once you have an account, it will take you 1/2 hour to set up your first auction, just because it's new to you. As a new seller, you are not as likely to get the highest price for it, but that's the kind of item that's certainly something that I'd take the time to sell on eBay. Fiddling around on Leaf forums is something I'd avoid because they're full of enthusiasts that would buy it from you for pennies, then put it on eBay. In order to set the "buy it now" price, look at actual sales of the item that you're selling. It looks like you should be able to get $200 for it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I'm often annoyed at paying all of the eBay fees, postage costs, and PayPal fees, but what I realize is that if it weren't for these sites, I'd just drop the stuff off at Goodwill and get zero dollars for it.

eBay has made it easier to sell stuff that doesn't have a "seller's market" in the past few years with auto re-listing. You put your thing on eBay, and if it doesn't sell, it's relisted automatically.

I scrapped-out my furnace and typed a few of the part numbers of components into eBay. The ones that came up with reasonable previous sales, I pulled out of the unit. Yesterday I shipped two things...the controller board and the blower motor. $100 bucks in my pocket. PayPal takes 3% and eBay takes 10%. And of course shipping drags the whole thing down, especially when you're shipping a 14 pound motor (but it fit in the flat-rate box, so all the way to California in 2 days for $17 ain't bad).

Attachments

• ebayfees.jpg
    ebayfees.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 21
It's easy if you can deal with the fees. On the flip side, it gives you a huge audience. The main concern is if one is new to eBay and has a zero (or very low) feedback rating, which could scare potential buyers away.

I agree. It never ceases to amaze me how much I can make selling what I consider to be junk that I have no use for. I've been selling on EBAY for more than 15 years and it's a great way to get rid of stuff.

I also buy a ton of stuff, it's cheaper than Amazon most of the time.

The main concern is if one is new to eBay and has a zero (or very low) feedback rating, which could scare potential buyers away.

+1

This is exactly why I've never bothered to set up a buyer's account and try to sell any small, low-dollar-value stuff. However, if I had a valuable item to sell, I'd probably do it regardless.

I'd try the Leaf forum(s) first, eBay is a PITA, though I have an account and have sold a lot of items there. There is also Facebook Marketplace that is free.

Buyers are often flakes, but your local craigslist probably has a for sale / cars section. Easier than eBay, but since it's a smaller marketplace you might not get any offers.

If I really don't care for getting anything back on something, I often just dump off at a Goodwill.

On ebay, I'd ask for the minimum amount plus postage paid by buyer. Either buyer pays for calculated shipping or I offer free shipping with the price of shipping in the amount I'm asking for.

There been a few times, I used to have free shipping, no reserve, and only get 1 bid, so then I'd have to sell it at a loss. Lesson learned.

Why wouldn't you include it when you sell the Leaf?
I figured the Leaf was gone already.

As to Craigslist, Facebook and enthusiast forums, I'd only sell there if the transaction was face to face and cash; I think eBay (or some escrow agent or intermediary) is essential in a non face-to-face transaction. So, true, it's worth a try to say "anybody in the neighborhood want to buy this?", and take phone calls and emails, then meet some of those people (who then offer you $5). So you really should use "anybody in the neighborhood want to buy this for $200?", then they'd offer you $20, hehe! Don't eBay (or they'll raise the rate), but 10% fee on eBay is totally worth it.

Before Xmas you were talking about moving to another house. If that is still in your future, I’d hold onto the charger and include it in the house sale. It’s a feature! And maybe it would add more to the value of the house than you can get on eBay, with no extra effort.

Why wouldn't you include it when you sell the Leaf?

Main reason:

I want to make sure that the adapter for the Tesla cable works before I sell it.

Tesla has a cable that plugs into an outlet. No special equipment required. It comes with a 110V adapter (very inefficient and slow):

0t7Ujaq.png

I ordered an adapter ($35) so that I can plug that cord into the NEMA 14-30 outlet that the Clipper Creek equipment is plugged into.

Right now I use an adapter between the CC J1772 connector and the car (that comes with the car).

Once I get the 14-30 adapter, I'll make sure it works and is as- or more-efficient than the CC setup. If so, I'll set the CC unit.

-----------

Yes, I'll first see if my buddies on MyNissanLeaf.com want to buy it, then I'll go to eBay.

We're planning a push to declutter, so I might use eBay for more things.

Last edited:
Yes, I'll first see if my buddies on MyNissanLeaf.com want to buy it, then I'll go to eBay.

Probably a good way to go. I've gone similar routes a few times with generally positive results. If I'm a well-regarded and long-time member of some boards, there's usually some trust that accumulates. You may find a ready market for some of the things you want to sell, and you can save the eBay fees. Sometimes I find a buyer, and sometimes I don't after a couple weeks or so, and then go the eBay route.

Back
Top Bottom