How long to wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s very disturbing that a place of business is going to hide cases. But I suppose it’s inevitable.

Gumby,

Wise words, Decisions made while experiencing impatience and a large degree of frustration may come back to bite us in our assets.

Yes, we all have to make our own decisions but should ask what would a reasonable person decide.

JMHO

I am hoping that along with the development of effective vaccines they will develop a cheap and super fast, ultra reliable home test for COVID-19. Since you are only negative as of your last test and could be infected on the way home from the test.

Imagine if there was a simple test like a finger prick for glucose that could be done at the entrance to every movie theater, concert etc?
Since the premise in the OP is if a vaccine isn't available, then this is the next best thing, and IMO, a pretty good deal that we're pretty much assured to have fairly soon. There are two companies that have a working "paper" antigen test. It's spit, I think, and it's not "ultra-reliable" when compared to PCR, but it's good enough to get rid of the people who are spewing enormous amounts of virus.

The classical concert scenario...you go through a drive-through, show your tickets, and they hand you the paper antigen tests. You spit and hand them in at the next window. Then your phone beeps and you either go into the theater or go home.

A friend of our works in a large optometry clinic that is now back to fully functioning, with everyone wearing masks. Two weeks ago one of her fellow workers went out with covid. Last week another tested positive. The clinic has yet to notify anyone of these illnesses, because managers of the clinic say they will "lose too much money if they have to shut down again."
I'm guessing this is not an unusual scenario, which directly influences my decision to delay getting teeth cleaned, eyes examined, etc., until there is a decent vaccine.

I sent an email to my dentist's office telling him that before I come in again, I need some reassurances that I won't be contracting disease from him or the staff.

It seems to me that people who are getting their teeth cleaned now, under these circumstances (or getting their hair done now*, etc ;) are probably are also doing other more risky things.

I'm in the group of people who are just saying "no" to any activity like the dentist, etc (indoors, right up next to someone else who is servicing lots of people per day). The people they service are taking more risk than I have been taking, so I'd be mixing with people who have been taking higher risk, which seems like a bad idea.

As strange as it seems, I'm more likely to get on an aircraft before going inside a restaurant to sit down and eat.

I figure that airlines will have "screened-passenger-only" flying. This is me and my wild speculation again, but what if airlines had flights where the covid test is included? They have a procedure where they use a quick turn-around test and only board those people who test negative? I'd probably agree to fly under those conditions. But the chances that a restaurant would implement that kind of screened only dining seems to be about zero.

* With the exception of DW. I know that's the only risky thing that she's done so far that's more risky than what I've been doing. But the 'skunk stripe' is indeed a life or death problem. I've been convinced of that. It is true.

Last edited:
sengsational, on the dentist question--to me it is a risk v reward thing. I had a tooth abscess about a month ago that resulted in a root canal. I was in terrible pain so I absolutely had to go to the dentist, in fact had to go 3 times, but it was absolutely necessary and worth the risk. I have a dental cleaning coming up in a couple of months--I will probably go to that also because I need to keep my teeth in good shape. My teeth are worth taking some risk. Plus I think dentists know how to keep everything very sanitized.

Plus I think dentists know how to keep everything very sanitized.
True. They're trying to keep themselves from getting it, I'm sure, so probably wearing N95 and face shield (but my dentist's web site is mute on the point). So of all the 'in your face' service providers, dentists are probably about the safest. And for you, with an acute dental situation, certainly that must be dealt with, yes. Risk/reward. For me, I went in February, and have no issues, so no urgent need.

That’s one of my concerns. We wait 6 more months. They say, well in just another 6 months we will be there with a vaccine. So wait again. Then, when that 6 months expires, they say wait a big longer. Those initial vaccine trials failed, but we know we can get there. So, the waiting goes on. And on.

Will that happen? I don’t know. But you could easily be waiting 3 years Into this thing and still be no closer to conquering it. And like we tell all the OMY’ers. That’s 3 less years of life to do what you really want.

As for the marshmallow experiment. That’s kind of an interesting analogy. But I look at it as though I did my delayed gratification throughout my adulthood. Now in retirement is the time not to delay gratification. If not now, when? Heck, we’ve got a whole long thread here on blowing that dough.

Appreciate your thoughts.

I guess that I am somewhat philosophical about all of this. While I would like to do all of the things that I had planned to do in my retirement, like I have had to do throughout my life, I will adapt to deal with the risk.

I want to travel and see the world, but for now, we will visit our cottage on the lake more often. I had planned more hiking in new locations, but for now, golfing and socially distanced beers will suffice, And while we like dining at new restaurants, I know that I can prepare a meal as tasty as some 18 year old pimply faced (or one with good facial hygiene!) kid. So we are making out OK so far.

Our philosophy is probably best summarized by the quote from a John Lennon song - "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans".

A friend of our works in a large optometry clinic that is now back to fully functioning, with everyone wearing masks. Two weeks ago one of her fellow workers went out with covid. Last week another tested positive. The clinic has yet to notify anyone of these illnesses, because managers of the clinic say they will "lose too much money if they have to shut down again."
I'm guessing this is not an unusual scenario, which directly influences my decision to delay getting teeth cleaned, eyes examined, etc., until there is a decent vaccine.

Have periodontal issues, so had my cleaning today after 7 months.

We are a "high risk" family. Winter is really going to suck more than ever. Without the indoor escape activities we and many use to distract ourselves I think seasonal depression will be on the rise. Getting on a plane to escape and where to just became a real issue.
No restaurants, theatres, museums and just general concern about being indoors with lots of people.

Warm weather climates with year round outdoor dining and simple ability to even sit in your private space just became more desirable than ever. Compound with many given the choice to work from home indefinitly, warm weather places may see increase in popularity even to hardcore folks once reality sets in this winter.

And in a country where 50% of people won't get vacine this could go on for years and years like this. Now if only San Diego would get 50% cheaper right now please!

I'm still undecided about my dentist, my cleaning was supposed to happen 6 days after the bay area locked down. They had re-opened with air filters and face masks and no patients waiting inside, and a minimum of an hour between re-using a dental area. My dentist is in his 80s so I'm sure they are taking great precautions to prevent him getting sick, but spending an hour with my mouth open breathing shared air still seems really scary to me. :(

I'm still undecided about my dentist, my cleaning was supposed to happen 6 days after the bay area locked down. They had re-opened with air filters and face masks and no patients waiting inside, and a minimum of an hour between re-using a dental area. My dentist is in his 80s so I'm sure they are taking great precautions to prevent him getting sick, but spending an hour with my mouth open breathing shared air still seems really scary to me. :(

I am very nervous about Covid 19 and I am taking the most precautions of anyone I know but about a month ago I developed a tooth abscess and had to go to the dentist 3 times and I felt safe and all was OK. Your teeth are important--your dentist sounds very safe. I would go to the dentist. Some things are too important to skip and I think the dentist is one of those.

Going to the dentist because of a tooth abscess is one thing, but going just for cleaning? It's not like your teeth will start to rot by skipping a cleaning or two.

Going to the dentist because of a tooth abscess is one thing, but going just for cleaning? It's not like your teeth will start to rot by skipping a cleaning or two.

I have a lot of tarter and my teeth get uncomfortable after 6 months with no cleaning, no matter what I do at home. My last cleaning was 9 months ago and I feel like I really need it so I will probably go next month.

I have been to my dentist two times. First for teeth cleaning and checkup. They found an old filling that was partially missing and the dentist did the work up for a cap on my second visit. The cap will be put on in an upcoming visit. I have had no fear of going and have no concerns. They are taking extra precautions. If it is time to go to your dentist you need to go.

I broke off part of a molar a couple of months ago. No pain or discomfort. Had a dentist appt a few weeks ago, but postponed it until September. I’ll figure out at that time whether I should go to that appt or postpone further.

I was also scheduled for bunion surgery in April. I cancelled with no reschedule date in the future. DW asked me today when I was going to reschedule my bunion surgery. I told her I’ll reschedule when there is a treatment or vaccine for COVID. I see no reason to have elective surgery during the pandemic.

Last edited:

But without frequent routine dental check ups how do you know that you don't have a problem? You could have a cavity that the dentist finds. Or like me--you could have a tooth infection. If had gone to the dentist earlier I might could have avoided that tooth abscess and root canal.

We get X-rays annually, and aren’t due until Dec. Our last check up was outstanding, so I think we’re good for a while.

I am not waiting for anything. For the most part, life is same other than missing monthly meetings of groups I belong to. I still see all my family, go to the stores that I usually go to, and still traveled as planned. We have small gatherings at the house, but never did go out to eat much other than a special occasion. We did order takeout at several local eateries when they were closed, but I wanted to help those eateries survive as well as not depleting my own food stocks. Churches are open, and unfortunately, attendance never was at capacity. I did have season tickets from my college alma mater's football games, but I can live without that. Other than wearing a M*** when I go into a store, my life is 90% unchanged.

Our trip to Europe got postponed to next year, but we picked up another trip to California.

Last edited:
But without frequent routine dental check ups how do you know that you don't have a problem? You could have a cavity that the dentist finds. Or like me--you could have a tooth infection. If had gone to the dentist earlier I might could have avoided that tooth abscess and root canal.

You may need to go more often as you even mentioned you had a tooth abscess? Anything can go wrong with any of our body parts any time really, but personally, my teeth are least of my worries related to my health. I do get my blood taken once a year to check if anything weird is going on. I get my eyes checked once a year as well. I am not planning to get my teeth cleaned for a while. I use dental picks, waterpik, etc. I had an X-ray taken of my teeth for routine X-rays last year. The last time a dentist had to work on my teeth was over 7 years ago. I have no plans to get my teeth cleaned or see my dentist until the pandemic settles down. I will be postponing my annual blood draw in August as well. DH needs to get his blood drawn every 6 months and he's skipped one already and his doc is fine with that.

You should do whatever you feel comfortable with, and if you're prone to teeth issues, you should weigh that and decide the best course of action for you. Best of luck.

my teeth are least of my worries
+1. Maybe some of us just have solid teeth. I have been to the dentist regularly for years, and always hear that I "have good teeth", or "never seem to have any problems". I brush my teeth regularly and they seem to behave themselves. When I have them cleaned, the hygienist usually asks if don't drink coffee or tea, which I have plenty of daily. Frankly I can go without a cleaning until things blow over.

All those people that ate the marshmallow throughout their life, blew all their dough, and enjoyed many frivolous aspects of consumerism may end up winning the game, compared to the delayed gratification folks with bags of gold... :popcorn:

I would have been one of the "save the marshmallow" folks in order to reach our financial target earlier, but DH didn't want to wait until we were too old to enjoy active travel. So we squeezed in visits to southern India, Japan, Taiwan (just Taipei) and other countries between work schedules. It wasn't easy, and we never stayed as long as we wished we could, but I'm so glad we did! I'm still holding out for leisurely post-retirement visits to Vietnam, Brazil, Eastern Europe, more of Taiwan... Right now we are tent camping and hiking during uncrowded days of the week.

My mother who is 99 years old lives in an advance assisted living in Oahu. I have not seen her since late November of last year. This really is a downer since I won’t get on a plane for 5 hours with strangers and the 14 people day mandatory quarantine. This is really a dilemma for me. She has breathing issues at times as well as a couple of TIA’s last year. She is a tough Italian gal who seems to have 9 lives. She is doing better but she says she misses the contact with family. So here I sit at home and make my calls to her and talk about old times. Since not seeing me for quite sometime, she says she forgets what I look like. This is really quite upsetting. It makes going to a restaurant or concert seem quite small in context what I feel about being hole up at home.

Attachments

462.2 KB · Views: 39
Eastbayboy, so sorry you cannot see your Mom, I know you really miss her. Have you been able to do Zoom, FaceTime or something similar with her? My mom is 89, lives in a Continuing Care Community and they set up Facetime for the residents. I am fortunate my mom is only a couple hours car drive and I have been able to see her in person a few times out of doors, social distancing. My heart goes out to you and your Mom.

My mother who is 99 years old lives in an advance assisted living in Oahu. I have not seen her since late November of last year. This really is a downer since I won’t get on a plane for 5 hours with strangers and the 14 people day mandatory quarantine. This is really a dilemma for me. She has breathing issues at times as well as a couple of TIA’s last year. She is a tough Italian gal who seems to have 9 lives. She is doing better but she says she misses the contact with family. So here I sit at home and make my calls to her and talk about old times. Since not seeing me for quite sometime, she says she forgets what I look like. This is really quite upsetting. It makes going to a restaurant or concert seem quite small in context what I feel about being hole up at home.
Aw! That's so sad. :(

Send her some photos of you! Big ones, so she can look at them while you talk on the phone.

P.S.- - I like Harllee's ideas of Zoom or Facetime!

Being fully retired, we really don't have to go anywhere unless we absolutely need to. And, at our age, we are like deer in the headlights for the virus. Unless better treatments for covid are developed, our chances of surviving after being infected are well less than 50%. This is based on underlying conditions that come with getting older. We can get food, both grocery and take out delivered or we can do curbside pickup. CVS mails us any meds we need and Amazon, Walmart and Costco (as well as many other stores) deliver right to our door or mailbox. Anything that's non perishable is put outside on our deck for 48 hours in the heat. All perishable items in packages are washed with soap and water or wiped down with Lysol wipes. Fruit, vegetable and other nonpackaged foods are washed, in the sink if possible and then placed on towels in an empty, but air conditioned room for 24 hours. Is that overkill? Hopefully it is for the virus. We have taken some long drives and walked around outside in places where there were no people (and, as far as we know, no carnivorous animals). Obviously, no movie theaters, eating out, going into malls or stores, except the occasional supermarket at zero dark thirty. If there are more than a handful of cars in the parking lot, we go elsewhere or home. Our Dr and dentist allow only one person in at a time and no one in the waiting room - you check in by phone when you arrive and they call you when they are ready. They then take your temperature and ask a ton of questions about how you feel. Had to finally get a haircut as it was getting too hot for 1970s style hair. Barber only had one person in the shop at a time and only by appointment.

Does this mean we won't catch it? No, but it sure reduces the odds. We had to cancel an overseas land trip in June (actually they cancelled us) and a cruise in October. Rescheduled for mid and late 2021 - hopefully things will be better by then.

I am more concerned that only 57% of American adults are currently willing to take an approved covid vaccine. That piggy backs on all the people who won't social distance, won't wear masks and make no effort to live any differently than they did 7 months ago. And about 16% of the populations refuse to get any vaccines for themselves or their kids.

I guess the only question I have for these folks is whether they love their grandparents? Personally, I have had flu shots annually for well over 25 years and never had anything worse than a slightly sore arm. No flu at all. Before I started having the flu vaccinations, I had it nearly every year, sometimes mild, a few years were horrible.

There's an obvious reason we have it so bad with covid 19 in the US - we are simply unwilling to do what other countries have done to reduce the number of cases and deaths.

She looks good for 99. And being in Hawaii is probably one of the safest places she can be - of the 50 states, only Vermont has fewer cases. Hope she stays safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom