How many cars per driver in your household?

How many vehicles per driver in your household?

• None

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Less than 1 (e.g., 1 car for 2 of you)

Votes: 34 14.7%

Votes: 94 40.7%
  • Between 1 & 2 (e.g., 3 cars for 2 of you)

Votes: 40 17.3%

Votes: 26 11.3%
  • more than 2

Votes: 35 15.2%

• Total voters
1 driver and 1 car here, a 2017 Audi A3. The car is perfect as a daily driver and on longer road trips. It behaves very well on snow (Quattro). And the hatchback gives it a decent cargo capacity.

We have 3 cars for a 4 person household.
In FLA where we live, one pretty much needs a car to get around. Uber would be too expensive and annoying for every little trip.
Might get down to 1 car in the future if moving to an elderly/55+ type community, along with DGF's son moving out.

We have two drivers and 12 cars and three motorcycles not to mention two side by side ATV’s, some four wheelers and a snowmobile (I live in rural Minnesota it’s almost required!). Seven of the vehicles are collectors, one is a motorhome the rest are just simply fun must haves for me... I am a true “car guy”. Sometimes I feel a little guilty or stupid (it’s hard to distinguish) when I walk around my shop and buildings and look at all of tires and engines that I own. I like doing the maintenance and I enjoy using all of them.

Here, two drivers, two vehicles. There was a period of about five years I had a motorcycle (Suzuki C90T touring bike. Sigh.) The daily driver for both of us and "her" car is a 2014 Honda Accord, and we have the 2003 GMC 4WD pickup that DW never drives, but only because she chooses not to. Admittedly we could manage fine with one vehicle but there are times when we want to go separate ways at the same time. And the pickup of course can haul stuff that the Honda cannot, or at least a lot more easily.

The pickup is seventeen years old and has 110K miles on it, so clearly it sits a lot. I even keep a battery maintainer on it. On a good day it gets 18 MPG and the Honda gets nearly twice that. But when we get snow the hills around here dictate that the Honda becomes a "garage queen" until the snow is gone.

We have two drivers and 12 cars.

I can understand that. I know a guy who has over 50 cars. Keeps them all street legal and drives every one of them at least one day a year. Some of them are worth many millions, but each one has a unique story and he loves them.

I can understand that. I know a guy who has over 50 cars. Keeps them all street legal and drives every one of them at least one day a year. Some of them are worth many millions, but each one has a unique story and he loves them.

Wow. Obviously I don't know the guy, but to me owning and driving 50 cars sounds kind of pathological. Makes me wonder how he got that way.

Wow. Obviously I don't know the guy, but to me owning and driving 50 cars sounds kind of pathological. Makes me wonder how he got that way.

He's quite a nice guy, and seems normal enough. Just wealthy enough to indulge his hobby.

2 people, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles, 1 escooter, 1 ebike, 1 gas bike.

Last edited:
Five for two. Jeep Trackhawk and Jeep Cherokee for daily drivers. 2003 Viper for my midlife crisis and a 2005 Z4 for her because she was driving the Viper a bit too often. VW GTI for Florida use.

Although we have three vehicles (Van, convertible, pickup) and two drivers, DW is not driving much anymore. Actually, she's pretty much done driving due to health reasons. I have just made a decision to sell my truck, so we will be down to two vehicles soon. :blush:

8 vehicles / 2 drivers, down from 10 vehicles in October. All in a huge heated, climate controlled garage.

Five for two. Jeep Trackhawk and Jeep Cherokee for daily drivers.
If I may ask, what's your forum name on the Jeeptrackhawk.org forum? I'm sure we've "talked" there if you are registered.

2 drivers, 3 cars. DW has her 2018 Sonata which is roomy and great mileage. I drive an 03 BMW 530i. The 07 Camry, DWs former daily driver now doubles as the snow car and the "mule".

I think ultimately we will replace the "mule" with a van-type vehicle for some camping kind of like RunningBum was saying. Probably replace the BMW with a somewhat newer sporty car, maybe a 2 series.

We like having 3 vehicles.

Two drivers, one Toyota Avalon. We always had 2 cars until we retired. I'm too cheap to pay the taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc on any more cars than we clearly need. I can rent a truck or replacement car if I (rarely) need one.

2 Small SUVs for 2 drivers. We only had one for a while. DH was ok with it, I was not. I want my own wheels dude.

myself and my wife. we each have a Jeep daily driver plus a 1946 Willys CJ2A and an RV both of which
i alone drive.

We have one car, 6 bicycles and 4 feet for the two of us. Our car is our last choice for transportation. If our destination is 5 or less miles, we will typically bike or walk. Since the majority of our trips (gym, grocery, meetings, friends) are within 5 miles, we bike/walk.

We do need to go to the big city once in a while but if we don’t go together, the bike typically works for the other person. We are lucky that are winters are wet but not too cold. But we followed a similar program successfully when living in the upper Midwest. We did drive a bit more then

We're a three car couple. I kept my 12-year-old Prius when I bought a new truck. The Prius gets three times the MPG as my 4Runner and I keep it for longer day trips and for friends who visit. I usually drive to LA (about 200 miles R/T) every Sunday to play music with friends and it probably saves me $175/mo. in gas.

I bought myself a new 4Runner for retirement, because I wanted something more comfortable to drive that would safely take me off-road and anywhere else.

Let's hold on a minute and think about this... I too quit driving Corvettes for much the same reason. Every year it was harder and harder to get in and out of the dang things. So I bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm still a Car-Guy:cool:. And while the Jeep GC isn't as cool looking as the Vette, it's a lot more comfortable, very easy to get in and out of, very roomy, and has most of the latest electronic gadgets. And if you buy the right model Jeep GC, it will outrun a Vette in the 1/4. Sooooo, you can still be a Car Guy with a Jeep and have the best of both worlds. Of course a Jeep equipped like that will cost a little more than a Vette, but hey, its only money.

Sometimes I have a lapse of judgment and start thinking of getting rid of the corvette.

I had 3 Grand Cherokees through the 1990's and really like them. Of course none of them had the power, gadgets and fun of your GC. Definitely a great option that would give me a little room to haul stuff, fun to drive, and some speed.

One car for the 2 us. We both sold our cars when DH retired. I barely drove mine anyway since we live in a neighborhood that’s within walking distance to everything we need. After his retirement we bought a 2019 KIA Sorento mainly for longer road trips otherwise we could have gotten by keeping either one of our previous cars for running errands. We do have a HD motorcycle that gets ridden a few times a year, and I have a 2019 50cc Vespa Scooter that gets ridden a few times a week during the summer.

We have two cars and two drivers. After one car was totaled we tried one. Logic was rent one if needed. Turned out we both needed the car a couple times in two weeks and got the second again. We could get by without a car I suppose but the savings as a % of our budget is not that high since we bought used cars of a dependable make.

Thanks for the replies. Keep them coming, I'm reading them all. Not sure exactly what I was looking for but the posts were interesting and informative. Seems like about anything goes, and I won't be alone no matter what I do.

I had a longer reply typed in but I got "token expired" and lost my post. Wonder what that's about? I've certainly had longer posts that took me more time to type.

We "used" to be a 3 car family. When I retired (Second Time) in 2010, I had a Porsche Twin Turbo S and a Jeep Wrangler, both under 2 years old. DW drove her E350 Merc. Being fully retired, I only every used the Porsche very rarely, the Jeep was my daily driver. The Jeep did approx. 4000 miles in 2 years.

When DW returned her leased Merc. and got a BMW 3 Series, I re-evaluated, then sold the Porsche and the Jeep, wondering what to get next. Since then we have only ever had 1 car between us, punctuated by 2 scooters for pottering about. I have considered getting another "toy" car but I am simply not that interested anymore. An "newer" Aston Martin desire is still lurking in my sub-conscious, but not sure that will ever materialize. Both scooters have since been sold now as we rarely ever used them. So 1 car for 2 seems to be the optimum, at least for now, amazing how things change.

P.S. Our one car is leased, and going back in a few months, the clock as of this writing has 9,837 miles on the clock after almost 3 years...… Anyone want a lightly used Florida 330i with low miles and non smoking owner... LOL., before we give it back to the leasing company?

Back
Top Bottom